Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from a new member, and soon-to-be 2018 3.6R Touring owner.

My wife bought a used 2011 3.6R Limited 3.5 years ago (found it with 14k miles, and just under its 36 month birthday). It's been a great car, I must say, but I haven't been interested in owning one myself. The body roll & overall handling just don't do it for me (I've been driving BMW's for 24 years - still have one...or more).

But when I started looking for a new daily driver, I immediately started looking at Subarus. Somehow the search escalated from Impreza, to Crosstrek, to being reminded that the Gen 5's Outbacks are much better handling. Test drove a 2.5 & 3.6R, and made my decision. The interiors are a big leap forward as well. Round trip commute of 120 miles/day means I need a good,reliable, safe car that I enjoy being in. And being as that commute is on NJ hiways, get-up-and-go is essential!

Took me awhile to find the right combination of options I want, and at good price. Reading this forum was a big help!

Picking her up tomorrow - can't wait!

Cheers!

Reactions: DjPrecision

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Excellent! welcome.
Regarding body roll, there are several threads here about replacing the Gen 5 stock rear anti-sway bar with a 19mm or 20mm OEM Subaru bar. Easy swap, big difference in handling. We just got a '17 this week, and the 19mm bar is on the list for purchase.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts

My wife bought a used 2011 3.6R Limited 3.5 years ago (found it with 14k miles, and just under its 36 month birthday). It's been a great car, I must say, but I haven't been interested in owning one myself. The body roll & overall handling just don't do it for me (I've been driving BMW's for 24 years - still have one...or more).

!
when its time, you can swap to 2013-14 era struts, which should be a bit stiffer then the 10-12 era ones.

subaru was fighting off ideas of competing with the rare expensive toyota venza at the time, and made things too soft for 10-12 years.

plenty of people here doing such mild upgrades. (and a few with major upgrades..like "raptor supercharger / headers" for the 3.6).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! The sway bar is on my list! Picked it up, my wife's eyes have suddenly changed from blue to a distinct shade of green ;)

·
Registered
2014 OBW Premium (Ice Silver Metalic)
309 Posts
Welcome! I think you'll like it here. My wife has a 2008 LL Bean Outback and she was completely happy with it until I got a 2014 Outback Premium. Now she asks on occasion if I "wouldn't want to trade." Nothing like a newer car in the stable to make them want your keys.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi - I'm not very handy and am wondering what sort of labor charge (or how many hours) I can expect to have a mechanic do swap out the OEM sway bar for a 19 or 20mm. thanks! Or is this something even a novice could do themselves? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts