Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that my 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited is a bit over two years old and has over 20,000 miles on it I thought it might be time to change the cabin air filter for the first time.

Attached is the picture I took of the cabin air filter after removing it. I was really surprised at how dirty it had gotten and so now I think the recommed change interval of 15,000 miles is very reasonable.

After watching the video on this forum of how to change your cabin air filter I decided to give it a try. The whole process is fairly straight forward and I believe that almost anyone can do it themselves. It took me 15 minutes and now that I have done it I believe it can easily be done in 5 to 10 minutes the 2nd and subsequent times.

I strongly recommend that everyone buy the filter and do it themselves and save $50 to $60.

My $0.02 YMMV

Fred Meloan

Attachments

·
Registered
Black 2010 OB 2.5i Premium CVT
1,409 Posts
Yep...mine was super dirty as well the first time. The second time not so much.

Mine had weird crap in it...Like sealing...

If anything it does keep the dash from getting all dusty :)

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited XT
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the cabin filter only available thru SOA or is there a better price elsewhere ??
subarupartsonline.com has the cabin air filter for $19.40 plus shipping. Price at the dealer is about $35. I haven't checked local auto parts stores but given the simple construction of the filter I am sure that numerous manufacturers make the same part.

Fred Meloan

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Nice reminder Fred. I need to check our oil vs miles traveled I think I'm doing oil change and will check into the cabin filter change also. Youtube is great for learning this sort of stuff. Heck I've been fooling around learning how to play the guitar by taking Youtube lessons from guitar teachers LOL...

My profession is Adult job training with a specialty in online training so learning by web based content has been something I've messed with for a very long time. USAF was one of my first projects - Global mechanic training on a new tool used on a specific Aircraft to address a maintence issue - using USAF satellite up links for live video based training on a physical use and application process was very interesting. Youtube makes it so F-ing easy now compared to that first project I did. HA HA

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 CVT
15 Posts
I like to save money, and that means steer clear of the dealer. My mechanic buddy recently turned me onto this site: rockauto.com
They are showing $10 plus shipping for this filter.

·
Registered
2011 2.5i Steel Silver Metallic, Limited , Moonroof
125 Posts
yeah aftermarket is way to go. I got a purolator replacement for around $12. Replaced it at the 12 month mark and boy was that sucked dirty. It took about 2 minutes to do, but having dropped the glove box before might have sped it along. Definitely going to keep up on that replacement. The one in my wifes 09 forester was disgusting. I wasnt paying attention and figured it didnt have one as they arent available aftermarket. Lets just say that 3.5 years is too long and being stuck with only an OEM filter sucks for the forester.

·
Registered
2012 OUTBACK 2.5 LIMITED SILVER ICE Metallic, moon and nav free
1,220 Posts
Rockauto $9.94.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
Now that my 2011 Outback 3.6R Limited is a bit over two years old and has over 20,000 miles on it I thought it might be time to change the cabin air filter for the first time.

Attached is the picture I took of the cabin air filter after removing it. I was really surprised at how dirty it had gotten and so now I think the recommed change interval of 15,000 miles is very reasonable.

After watching the video on this forum of how to change your cabin air filter I decided to give it a try. The whole process is fairly straight forward and I believe that almost anyone can do it themselves. It took me 15 minutes and now that I have done it I believe it can easily be done in 5 to 10 minutes the 2nd and subsequent times.

I strongly recommend that everyone buy the filter and do it themselves and save $50 to $60.

My $0.02 YMMV

Fred Meloan
...I know what you mean...below is pics of my dirty air filter beside my new one...what a difference. Should be changed every 6 months.
...and it is very easy to do...don't need the dealer to do it for you..

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts