Subaru Outback Forums banner

I just sheared the bottom 14 MM bolt that attaches the caliper to the hub

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  RoughDiamond 
#1 ·
I have a 2008 Outback, and the driver's side rear hub bearing was wearing out. I decided to try replacing it myself, and then this happened. It was literally the last bolt I was putting in. I'm not really sure how to get out the remaining piece since I had to use a wobble adapter to remove the bolt in the first place. Also, how safe is this to drive?

I was trying to torque it to spec, and the torque wrench wouldn't click like it did for the top bolt. I kept tightening the bolt thinking that I just had to get it a little bit tighter. Did I just make an expensive mistake?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I think it's totally safe to drive as long as you keep an eye on it. Check the other 3 bolts. Long term the bearing may wear out quicker. Getting that one back out will be a b*tch.

Lets all remember, I use armstong torque all the time, but a 14mm is a small bolt. The bolts just keep the hub seated. As you know, there is a shoulder that takes the weigh into the knuckle. Hence, why I think it's safe to drive.

#8 ·
I doubt that the broken bolt will have to be drilled out and re-tapped . In fact it would come out relatively easily with better access. Since it was just out and broke tightening it it isn't like it is rusted in place. Take the caliper back off and there might even be enough of the bolt sticking out to grab onto and turn it out, although from the picture that is doubtful. A left-hand drill bit and reversing drill might spin it right back out as well. Otherwise this might be one of the cases where an easy-out actually works without breaking off in the bolt.

#13 ·
If you unbolt the caliper from the bracket, unbolt the remaining bolt for the bracket, then slide the whole bracket+rotor off. This should let you vise-grip the bolt remnant.

A replacement bolt may not be super easy to find. ACE or Sears hardware as it's a JIS thread bolt (less common).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.