Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I have a 2004 outback 2.5 5 speed and I keep burning up coil packs I am on my 4th one in two months the primary side of them I cleaned all of the grounds I could find I ohm out the wires from the plug on the coil to the big plugs on the back of the engine. I also ohm the spark plugs wires they are fine and the plugs are newer. Not too sure we're to go from here with this any help with be appreciated thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts
what brands are you using?

subaru likes NGK, plugs and wires.

and subaru OEM coils. (says "subaru" as a stamp on the front in small letters) and that is one thing I would be willing to try used cheap. (like $20 in a pick and pull) as they typically last a long long long time.

______

that said some talk of igniters here.

______

and everyone this a is a US spec 2004, (as per IP). not a world spec 2004 with the later body.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
04 i think is solid state no old school igniters.

Wires and plugs being bad in theory could foul up a coil. Power problems on the other side would manifest with other issues.

Non oem coils all bets are off. With cheap knock offs its like buying used light bulbs some work some don’t and if they work don’t expect them to work for long.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my first two where subaru ones third one was napa and the last was some a cheap on off amazon wires not sure the brand the the plugs are autolite i am thinking more power side driving home tonight when i turned on my lights the radio cut out then lights started to go dim and the abs light came on almost like the alternator was going out but i meter it and it had 14 volts and drove it around it didnt do it again

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Wires and plugs are the issue. NGK only no seriously I bet all your issues are plugs and wires long history of this type of problem with the wrong plugs and wires

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I will order factory coil and wires and get some ngk plugs and let you guys know what happens thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just put on factory coil wires and ngk plus on my car I will drive it and see what happens I will keep everyone updated thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well started this morning to let it warm up a minute came back out check engine light was on code 301 misfire cylinder number 1 ohm the coil pack and it was bad already anyone have any ideas thanks

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,204 Posts
bad engine grounds, bad alternator.

@plain OM or @brucep etc may have more ideas.

~~~~~

when you pull any plugs do you have oil on them?

is this a US federal spec EJ251 or a unique California (North East states) EJ259, as per the plate on the shock tower.

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
@Subarudog

"Well, started this morning to let it warm up a minute. Came back out. Check engine light was on. Code 301 misfire cylinder number 1. Ohm the coil pack and it was bad already. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks"

Ah!

What resistance measurements were made, i.e., between which terminals, and what result did you get for each that led you to conclude the coil was bad?

The cylinder #1 coil winding, and the ignitor circuit that's part of it, also provides the high voltage for cylinder #2. If that coil or ignitor is bad, I would expect it to affect both cylinders, i.e., cause misfires in both. Was there always a misfire code when the previous four coils seemed to have failed? If yes, was it always a P0301, or others?

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Plain has good point one cylinder vs 2 on the same coil/igniter raises the question it may be something else. Did it actually run different? When our vw with famously horrible coils did this it was clear as day you lost a cyclinder or two regarding engine running rough and big reduction in power.

Subaru coils are not known to fail they typically out last the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked and clean all my ground my alternate is putting out 14 volts when I put a meter on the battery there is no oil on my plugs and it is the ej251

Just on number one some days it didn't miss at all other days it's really bad

I checked my coil with this picture numbers 1 and 2 are open and 3and 4 have resistance so wouldn't it be bad when I have a new coil they both have resistance

Attachments

·
Registered
18,172 Posts
It's my understanding that the 2004 2.5 has the integrated ignition coil and ignitor assembly. Those measurements at the 4-wire connector might not apply.

At the 4-wire harness connector at the coil assembly, #3 goes to ground, #2 goes to a 12 V supply, and #1 and #4 are the connections to the ECM providing the trigger signals for built-in ignitor circuits that switch the primary windings of the two coils in the assembly. (see attached) Any resistance test between the four terminals should and would not be as low as 0.73 Ohms. If the new ones you installed measured 0.73 Ohms between the points in the picture, then those points are virtually shorted, which would not be the case in the integrated assembly.

What's the Subaru part number for that new factory coil that was installed?

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It's my understanding that the 2004 2.5 has the integrated ignition coil and ignitor assembly. Those measurements at the 4-wire connector might not apply.

At the 4-wire harness connector at the coil assembly, #3 goes to ground, #2 goes to a 12 V supply, and #1 and #4 are the connections to the ECM providing the trigger signals for built-in ignitor circuits that switch the primary windings of the two coils in the assembly. (see attached) Any resistance test between the four terminals should and would not be as low as 0.73 Ohms. If the new ones you installed measured 0.73 Ohms between the points in the picture, then those points are virtually shorted, which would not be the case in the integrated assembly.

What's the Subaru part number for that new factory coil that was installed?
oh so i could have been testing them wrong the whole time the coil number is 22433AA570. so if i been testing the coil wrong where should i look for my misfire would the injector problem should i swap injector see if it moves to that cylinder any other ideas thanks again

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon - White pearl - 302,000 km
466 Posts
I would swap the cylinder 1 injector and the spark plug to the other side of the engine, and see what happens

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So since I swapped the injectors two days ago and I have been all over the place and it still hasn't misfire yet kind of strange

1 - 18 of 18 Posts