Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • Wow
Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,327 Posts
The fact that this woman died in her Subaru seems a mystery to me.
Why? Based on that article, practically nothing is known. For all anyone knows, she might not have fastened her seat belt, in which case it often won't matter what you're driving. Or there might have been an object in the car that became a missile upon impact and caused her injury. Could be anything out of the ordinary.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,769 Posts
kinda reads like 'internal decapitation'.

we also don't know if she had any comordities like osteogenesis imperfecta or osteoporosis, or ???

looks like she exited the vehicle wit honly minor injuries? also, autopsy seems in order....

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
BTW Subaru has a stated goal of by 2030: Reducing to zero the number of fatal accidents occurring while a driver or passenger in a SUBARU and the number of fatalities among pedestrians, cyclists, and the like arising from collisions with a SUBARU vehicle.

In the longer Environmental/social/governance doc this 2030 goal is here p 86ff

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,327 Posts
BTW Subaru has a stated goal of by 2030: Reducing to zero the number of fatal accidents occurring while a driver or passenger in a SUBARU and the number of fatalities among pedestrians, cyclists, and the like arising from collisions with a SUBARU vehicle.
Probably never going to happen because there's always someone who wants to know how to silence the chime when they don't use the seat belt system. Was going to say that I wish I could find the videos I had links to long ago that showed people being launched around in the car - ending up in the back seat or vice versa, even crushing another occupant, but I think people have a " I'm a good driver so it won't happen to me" delusion.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
So therefore govt will require that new technologies be used to make safety ever more foolproof. That's one of many reason that FSD is a given going forward, IMO.

I linked to the longer doc bc I was surprised, and also pleased, that Subaru has put so much thought into these matters. They need an update of their brand identity and I like that ESG looks play a big role.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
2,112 Posts
Lofty goal.
It doesn't matter how safe a car is if it is driven off a cliff or hit by a high speed train or.......
These things Subaru has no control over.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Probably never going to happen because there's always someone who wants to know how to silence the chime when they don't use the seat belt system. Was going to say that I wish I could find the videos I had links to long ago that showed people being launched around in the car - ending up in the back seat or vice versa, even crushing another occupant, but I think people have an "I'm a good driver so it won't happen to me" delusion.
Silencing the chime doesn't mean that I don't know that I need to buckle up so I chose to disable the chime. I even had optional seatbelts in my '56 Ford Victoria. They were a $9 option. "New Ford Seat Belts, an Important Feature of Ford Lifeguard Design," 1956 - The Henry Ford

Black-and-white Font Art Tints and shades Mesh

6 Ford Victoria.

Reactions: SilverOnyx

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,453 Posts
I don't see any mention of air bags deploying or not deploying, seatbelts worn or not, but blunt force injury to her neck could even be if her arm was crossed over the airbag and it deployed, forcing her arm into her neck. Or if she was holding a cell phone and it was launched into her neck. So hard to say.

Reactions: Sandbag

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,566 Posts
Whatever we don't know about this will be settled by the coroner, but that information won't be public unless there's a lawsuit involved. And I can't think of many reasons why this unfortunate death would be specific to this model of Subaru.

This was a 2020 Subaru, so it shouldn't be related to the airbag propellant issues we know existed in older models, with their way-too-fast deployment.

Shoulder belt positions as dictated by the mount on the B pillar might make some difference, but Subarus are not that unique here. Every manufacturer has to meet certain specs dictated by regulatory authorities.

I have observed that a lot of women intentionally put slack into the shoulder harness to avoid putting pressure on their, um, décolletage. In a frontal collision this could make the upper body's impact into the non-yielding shoulder harness webbing much more harsh.

·
Premium Member
2021 MGM Onyx XT
130 Posts
It doesn't matter how safe a car is if it is driven off a cliff or hit by a high speed train or.......
These things Subaru has no control over.
Indeed. This crash has kind of stuck in my mind since reading about it a few years ago. Absolutely tragic. The rural roads south of Chicago are generally 55 mph and have no street lighting.

Other articles I read about it at the time said the pickup driver had cruise control set at 55 mph when he blew the stop sign and t-boned them. The victims were belted in or in child seats.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,453 Posts
The IIHS has increased their side impact test from 3,300 pounds at 31 mph to 4,180 pounds at 37 mph.

...side impacts still accounted for 23 percent of passenger vehicle occupant deaths in 2019.
To address those crashes, the updated side test uses a heavier barrier traveling at a higher speed to simulate the striking vehicle. The new barrier weighs 4,180 pounds — close to the weight of today’s midsize SUVs — and strikes the test vehicle at 37 mph, compared with a 3,300-pound barrier traveling at 31 mph in the original evaluation.
Together, those two changes mean it involves 82 percent more energy.

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,634 Posts
I have observed that a lot of women intentionally put slack into the shoulder harness to avoid putting pressure on their, um, décolletage. In a frontal collision this could make the upper body's impact into the non-yielding shoulder harness webbing much more harsh.
Isn't this the sort of situation that pretensioners are designed to mitigate? They're intended to take the slack out of a seatbelt in the event of a crash or rollover before delta-v between vehicle and passenger becomes large.

·
Premium Member
18,769 Posts
from the 2 articles, it seems her main problem developed in the hospital after she was removed from the vehicle. The mentioned crash investigation report could be public I guess?

The Gurnee woman was taken to Advocate Condell Medical Center in Libertyville with what initially appeared to be minor injuries, sheriff's police said. But shortly after she arrived, her condition deteriorated and she appeared to become paralyzed from the neck down. She died at the hospital at about 7 p.m., according to the sheriff's office.

The Lake County coroner's office is scheduled to conduct an autopsy Monday.

The crash remains under investigation by the Lake County Sheriff's Office Technical Crash Investigations Unit.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,566 Posts
Isn't this the sort of situation that pretensioners are designed to mitigate? They're intended to take the slack out of a seatbelt in the event of a crash or rollover before delta-v between vehicle and passenger becomes large.
Good point; I suppose as long as it pretensions prior to the vehicle slowing significantly, the shock from the webbing being pretensioned is much less than the shock from the person hitting intentionally loosened webbing.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
14,453 Posts
All crash dummies are facing forward in testing. I wonder what happens if your head is turned sideways in a frontal collision? I imagine it could snap your neck.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Yeah, so many unforeseen circumstances contribute to injuries. NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt died from a break in the bone at the base of the skull where the spine connects to the skull. The impact was a relatively fluff hit to the wall by the then NASCAR standards, but the angle of the impact and an unrestrained head/helmet and angle of impact resulted in the fatal injury not just the speed of impact. And, there was much consideration and discussion regarding whether prior Impact experienced by the driver had weakened the bone structure and left it predispose to failure under lower forces. Point is, as much refined modeling can consider the various scenarios, there will always be an event outlier that can’t be accounted for.

·
Premium Member
18,769 Posts
A former coworker's son was in a watercraft collision. In decent shape afterwards, but was transported to the hospital for exam/observation. X-ray found internal decapitation.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts