Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In for an oil change today. 19,000 miles, 14 mos. old car purchased new.

No, thank you, I do not want the PC valve replaced, that’s at 60,000, no really it’s a Subaru schedule, it doesn’t get done at 15,000. Really, I looked it up it says 60,000. No I don’t need an air filter. No, thank you, I don’t need a $80 throttle body cleaning. No, thank you I don’t need a $75 fuel injector cleaning. Yes, thank you I’ll take the $108 rotate and balance. No I’m not paying $70 for the oil change, it’s free I believe every other ?, Yes, this is #4.

Welcome to Long Island, leave your wallet at the door.

·
Registered
2013 Outback, 2.5i Limited w/ Moonroof
1,542 Posts
I learned a very long time ago that one has to be confident and knowledgeable of what services their car needs, and how to smile and say no. It has been my experience that if you have that slight smirk on your face, they stop offering all the unnecessary services quicker. You know. The smirk that says "I understand my car maintenance needs well enough to know that what you are offering is totally unnecessary. And you do too. We both know that you are just trying to increase profit at my expense. And I'm not biting."

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited. White, Sunroof, 2.5, CVT. Bought 2/15/11. Love it! Broke 109K, 2/20.
452 Posts
Sadly the service managers are too often driven by sales of goods and services. The hard charges are the ones we tend to hate. The straight shooters are the ones we respect. Too may of them fall into the first category, like the salesmen inside the showroom. When I bought my Subie my salesman was a soft sell and offered, but did not push, extras. The service department, to the degree that I dealt with them (Sayville) was okay to work with. But for the most part my car has been serviced by indies, most recently by a guy I knew as a business associate. He was willing to do whatever I asked and once pushed me for a cabin air filter, that I agreed with him on because I knew the type he was.

I recently moved OFF Long Island and to the Berkshires where I have yet to come into contact with the local dealership for anything. I will be prepared for a hard sell but I will only be ready, not expecting. I still need to get my tranny looked at under the "extended" warranty or whatever that deal is about.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
2,139 Posts
I feel your pain (in NJ)... local dealer near me got in a huge argument because back with my 09 Legacy they insisted on a coolant change at 30k, politely told them I had super coolant good for over 100, among other upsells.

I started doing my own oil changes. Was easier than I thought. ;)

When I need real service I go to a dealer about 20 miles away. I remind them I go out of my way to use them and they tend to give me a discount.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
Gee another thread suggesting the "dealer tried to rip me off".

Service advisors and managers are essentially commissioned sales people. It's their job to sell you stuff also their job to make you aware of services that most don't think about.

Majority of owners have zero idea as to their vehicles maintenance schedule. As already stated, it is a great idea to know that schedule. Keeping in mind that services are due not just based on miles but also on time.

Throttle body and fuel injection services are not a bad thing to have done throughout the life of your car.

Reactions: BHopkins

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just think of all the grandmothers that have paid crazy amounts when all they needed was a simple oil change. I deal with this all the time with Toyota Dealerships.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,094 Posts
Mine, thankfully, isn't huge on the upsell. I go in, get the service I asked for and will sometimes take offered services (IF offered), such as having the brakes done as I knew I was VERY close. They've even said to me "we see you did your air filters", so they at least looked!

When I was buying - I knew what I wanted, the salesman didn't push me to a higher trim or force accessories on me. I had an idea about what I should be paying and was able to get in the ballpark when accessories were factored in. In fact, the deal was almost so easy (I don't recall any trips to the sales manager) I wonder if I couldn't have gotten a BETTER deal.

·
Premium Member
2010 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i w/AWP 6MT
426 Posts
Yes, thank you I’ll take the $108 rotate and balance. No I’m not paying $70 for the oil change, it’s free I believe every other ?, Yes, this is #4.

Where on Long Island? Please message me. That's absurd. I have two dealerships I use here and a list of other highly recommended ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My local dealership tries to do the same thing. It's good to know when scheduled maintenance is due so you won't get taken.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,757 Posts
I had a similar experience way back around 40,000km ish...I went in with the service schedule from the OEM service manual..said oil change and fluids check please. They tried to soak me for around $400.00. I had to get the dealer manager to sort out the mess when I told him was the most expensive oil change on the planet...regular price was paid. After that I bough a fumoto valve, started doing my own oil and fluids, using our local garage for the easy stuff like brakes, etc. It only goes back there for the big stuff...like the head gasket it blew, drive shaft that needed replacing, and the timing belt which is next. Like our old TDI i try to keep it to once a year for a dealer visit...but this year that has not been the case...:frown2:

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,686 Posts
I don't mind if they try to upsell services, as long as they are OK with "no" for an answer.

Where the line is drawn for me is when someone misrepresents or or even outright lies about the need for said services, and when challenged, resorts to some rehearsed schtick to justify their recommendations rather than just admit they have been caught.

And the best recovery from this situation was this response I got from the service writer: "well, yes, you can certainly go with the owner's manual recommendations if you wish, and you'll do just fine doing that. Subarus are well-built".

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 3.6 Pearl
15 Posts
In for an oil change today. 19,000 miles, 14 mos. old car purchased new.

No, thank you, I do not want the PC valve replaced, that’s at 60,000, no really it’s a Subaru schedule, it doesn’t get done at 15,000. Really, I looked it up it says 60,000. No I don’t need an air filter. No, thank you, I don’t need a $80 throttle body cleaning. No, thank you I don’t need a $75 fuel injector cleaning. Yes, thank you I’ll take the $108 rotate and balance. No I’m not paying $70 for the oil change, it’s free I believe every other ?, Yes, this is #4.

Hey Lightingguy The poor Service manager has to subsidize his HIGH Property Taxes
at the customers expense.;)

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gee another thread suggesting the "dealer tried to rip me off".

Service advisors and managers are essentially commissioned sales people. It's their job to sell you stuff also their job to make you aware of services that most don't think about.

Majority of owners have zero idea as to their vehicles maintenance schedule. As already stated, it is a great idea to know that schedule. Keeping in mind that services are due not just based on miles but also on time.

Throttle body and fuel injection services are not a bad thing to have done throughout the life of your car.
General internet info. I’ve read is you might need throttle body and fuel injector cleaning at 50,000, more likely 100,000. Not 19,000.

And yes another dealer thread. Like “I don’t like my Outback”. Or “I like my Outback”. Or “what winter tire”.

If you don’t like the subject, don’t read it.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
General internet info. I’ve read is you might need throttle body and fuel injector cleaning at 50,000, more likely 100,000. Not 19,000.

And yes another dealer thread. Like “I don’t like my Outback”. Or “I like my Outback”. Or “what winter tire”.

If you don’t like the subject, don’t read it.
Need for throttle body and fuel injector cleaning are often dictated by driver style, driver environment and quality of gas being used.

There is no set mileage. I've seen cars that needed it at 20,000 miles. Unfortunately too many owners are not proactive in preventing issues. They would rather be reactive and wait for the misfires and CEL.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Onyx Edition XT
2,139 Posts
I don't mind if they try to upsell services, as long as they are OK with "no" for an answer.

Where the line is drawn for me is when someone misrepresents or or even outright lies about the need for said services, and when challenged, resorts to some rehearsed schtick to justify their recommendations rather than just admit they have been caught.

And the best recovery from this situation was this response I got from the service writer: "well, yes, you can certainly go with the owner's manual recommendations if you wish, and you'll do just fine doing that. Subarus are well-built".
Agree. I had an experience like this getting my wife's Honda serviced. It's her car, so for peace of mind and general marital tranquility, I bring it to the shop for the fluid changes.

They tried to upsell me on a cabin and engine air filter. I indulged them and asked them the cost, which would have added about $150 to the price of the $30 oil change... I declined, they persisted, and I told them I was comfortable working on the car myself, and they backed off.

They offered to give me a 5% discount on the parts if I bought them on the spot, but I decided to buy them online for about half price - genuine Honda parts, too.

I have no problem with that approach. It's the service advisors (have seen this in both men and women across multiple manufacturers) that puff out their chest and threaten fire and brimstone if you don't get some obscure, "recommended" service and get visibly agitated.

One time I had another customer ask me why I declined the offer, and I explained about just going by the manual unless I had a problem, and then they asked that they only go by the book also. Boy, that advisor was not happy.

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i base
449 Posts
I recently took my 2013 2.5 in at 78k for the Takata air bag recall. It was going to take a day, and they gave me a loaner Outback. (2017 fully loaded - very nice).

A few hours after returning home I got a call from the service rep saying the tech working on my Outback had reported to him that my rear brakes were "at 3mm", and the rear bearings were starting to make noise.

I told that I had done the brakes myself, all 4 corners, at 60k, using Subaru brake kits from his very own parts department. And I had flushed and bled them afterwards as well. He said "hmmm, okay".

He told me the rear bearing job would be $1200. I told him I'd keep an eye on them.

After I picked up my Outback the next day, I was still a little suspicious as to why the tech had brought up the rear bearings. Then it all became clear on the drive home.

The loaner Outback had regular P-metrics on it, and was a very quiet ride, the way mine used to be before I put on my BFG KO all-terrains. Probably the only Outback/tire combo the tech had been exposed to. The BFG KOs introduce a small, for lack of a better word, roar to the ride, something I had gotten used to in mine, but something the tech interpreted as bearing noise.

Guess I'll never know if I had said "okay do the bearings while you have it there" if they would have gone ahead and just done them, or would have called back saying the found it wasn't necessary after all. But I have my suspicions how it would have gone.

I'll check the rear brakes next time I rotate the tires, at 80k.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,757 Posts
EXACTLY...don’t do anything more than what is needed and then ask before doing it.....amen to that

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,686 Posts

Agree. I had an experience like this getting my wife's Honda serviced. It's her car, so for peace of mind and general marital tranquility, I bring it to the shop for the fluid changes.
EXACTLY...don’t do anything more than what is needed and then ask before doing it.....amen to that
One more thought on the subject, since the OP seems to have touched a nerve for a lot of us: If I say "no", without offering a reason, most get that it's not an invitation to start an involved discussion over my reasoning behind the "no". It's a "no", plain and simple, and I politely tell someone who tries to push it that it's final and I don't care to discuss it. Why it is that a few don't get that and continue to push is beyond me; it must work in some cases I suppose. For me, all that an ensuing discussion might accomplish is to waste time for both of us, and to possibly have them lose all future business from me, should they push it to the point of misrepresentation or lies.

·
Banned
6,271 Posts
One more thought on the subject, since the OP seems to have touched a nerve for a lot of us: If I say "no", without offering a reason, most get that it's not an invitation to start an involved discussion over my reasoning behind the "no". It's a "no", plain and simple, and I politely tell someone who tries to push it that it's final and I don't care to discuss it. Why it is that a few don't get that and continue to push is beyond me; it must work in some cases I suppose. For me, all that an ensuing discussion might accomplish is to waste time for both of us, and to possibly have them lose all future business from me, should they push it to the point of misrepresentation or lies.
Because that is what some sales people do?

If you are not buying what they are selling they don't much care if they lose your business.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts