Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the car out yesterday and filmed one of my request videos.

Using higher speeds and progressively smaller objects we were able to find the limit of Subaru Eyesight.

The lift and tires did not seem to interfere at all with the system. I'm actually impressed with the system as it still functions outside design parameters, and it functions well!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,689 Posts
that over-the-hood view at about 1:39 cracks me up!

hmmm....doesn't seem like the system could detect a smaller motorcycle.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
I love the boxy "minecraft" human form to start.

And who doesn't love "frog-boy" getting creamed. So much for small children.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,301 Posts
Just excellent. Would Eyesight detect a larger moving object that darted in from the side?

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,140 Posts
Just excellent. Would Eyesight detect a larger moving object that darted in from the side?
Like an Ex-wife tossed off the back of a truck?

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
Interesting, the eye sight gets disabled after emergency braking has been applied?

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
If Cell phone's were disable to be useless in a moving car, we probably wouldn't so much need this stuff. People are distracted is the problem, so these features are useful,, but for those of us that have NO cell phone at all, not needed really.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,302 Posts
reminded me of this:

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...est-eyesight-closed-road-cardboard-boxes.html

2020 outback with eyesight will be so smart,
....you can sit in the back seat with a couple mayonnaise jars of moon shine,...and just tell the car to take you home.

cops standing in the road looking for drunks,...bad tires, and bad inspections,...will be handing out cold beer and reefer to those riding in the back seat with no driver. (3x today's fines for littering)

Reactions: Brucey

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting, the eye sight gets disabled after emergency braking has been applied?
This appears to be true. It only happened after repeated testing. The first time it did not happen but after the third or fourth it must have thought something was wrong and disabled itself.

It didn't turn on for 5 minutes.

I restarted the car and it was fine.

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Outback Limited no Eyesight
120 Posts
Such as a car? No... Eyesight did not engage in my 17 Legacy when a car pulled out from a Stop Sign. Legacy was going 32 mph. Car that pulled out turned toward the Legacy and hit the front at an angle.

Subaru checked the Black Box data (with my permission) and said the system worked as designed.

Eyesight only works in very limited conditions.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,438 Posts
Poor froggie!
What did that poor herpetological ever do to that mean ol' Outback? haha!

Good vid. Shows paying attention while driving is still needed.
Thanks.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Thank you for sharing, interesting video. The height of the second and third targets is not much different (based on where the hood is showing vs. the top of the box/stuffed toy). The width shift, especially at the top, seems to be a bigger difference. I wonder if adding some width to #3 would cause ES to activate?

There was a comment on the youtube page about not wanting to have reaction to some things -- birds, small animals -- which seems sensible. It does suggest that there is a need for ES to register something before it can do anything. So something darting in from, say, between a couple of parked cars, might not cause activation -- perhaps there might be a way to test that using a clothes line and stuffed models? How far away or how much time must a target be in the line of ES for ES to activate and does size of the target make a difference?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Good video!

The only thing I wanted more of was size variation on an obstacle entering from the road shoulder. Deer-sized box etc. It's that season, my neighborhood is overrun again.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,150 Posts
... for those of us that have NO cell phone at all, not needed really.
Maybe ... as long as you are one of those supermen who never allows yourself to become tired, careless, distracted, or old.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
Maybe ... as long as you are one of those supermen who never allows yourself to become tired, careless, distracted, or old.
I learned well. My father has 64 + years of driving and no accident. I am at 30 years and none. I am attentive, responsible (i drive a small honda death trap for YEARS as a DD) and do not own a cell phone. knock on wood, but I am watching people everyday swerve into my lane texting, today was foggy like all heck and people didn't have thier lights on, etc.

I even run snow tires (new every 3 years) on a dedicated winter car only...then my summer cars have new tires every 2 years. I keep my cars to top top top shape, others don's even care. I use rain-x to be safe all the extras...

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,150 Posts
This appears to be true. It only happened after repeated testing. The first time it did not happen but after the third or fourth it must have thought something was wrong and disabled itself.
According to the Subaru manuals, EyeSight will disable itself after three activations of pre-collision braking in a single driving session. EyeSight will restore itself to normal operation at the next engine shutdown/restart.

The design philosophy, apparently, is that repeated applications of pre-collision braking should be very rare in normal driving.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts