Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Lenovo Laptop and I tried the MS cheap upgrade on the OS to win 8.
What a mistake that was.
It turned it into a BSOD, locked up multiple reboot POS.
Worked with MS for 25 years and dealt with hardware and software issues and I finally had it.
Some have had no problems with win 8 but not for me. I'm glad I made the switch.

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
I'm a graphic designer and my specialty is Graphic User Interfaces (GUIs). I worked on Windows 7 and thought it was pretty cool. MS had me consult on Windows 8 and I thought the controls were kind of confusing and the graphics must not have been done yet. I thought, "OK, so these boxes represent where the actual images are going to be."

Wrong. The boxes are the GUI. Actually a new idea that will take some getting used to. The controls are not as intuitive as Windows 7 and will take time to get used to as well. We had a lot of griping when Windows 3.1 came out, but folks got used to, and eventually loved it. The other elephant in the room with Windows 8 is the fact that it is basically designed for a touch screen, like their new tablet. It looses a lot of its functionality, or at least ease of use, when not used on a tablet.

BTW, I have, use and love a Mac Pro, iPhone 4s, iPad 2, iPod, Macbook Air, and design on and for both the Mac and Windows platforms. But, I prefer the Mac over Windows as well.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
The other elephant in the room with Windows 8 is the fact that it is basically designed for a touch screen, like their new tablet. It looses a lot of its functionality, or at least ease of use, when not used on a tablet.
Thank you!! That is seriously the elephant in the room. Apple has had a very hard time separating cursor-controlled GUI from touchscreen GUI over the past few years with Mac OS and iOS, and some of the decisions they took along that way earned them some real enemies. But.... it looks like it worked.

So I've been watching Microsoft roll out the windows 8 look on phones, tablets and desktop PCs and I've been wondering: what have they figured out? How are they doing this?

Answer: they apparently aren't. They're leaving it open to casual user interpretation.

to MNOutback: Welcome to the party pal!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm on this 'lovely' Acer laptop, Intel i3, 4GB DDR3 with shared VRAM, 500GB HDD. I had a 17" MacBook Pro that I sold to a coworker because the HDD kept going out on it. It was like a lemon. But I must say, I do miss Mac OS X.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Apple is getting too big and eventually Apple too will start getting viruses, hacks or other issues. I can't believe how much Apple has grown...use to be $7 a share 10 years ago, now over $500.

Funny how Microsoft is such a copy-cat for everything Apple does. Now they have their own retail stores like they are clones for everything that Apple tries to do.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Let me start by saying I am 'platform independent' - I use or have used at least once most any platform you can think of. I know the benefits and flaws of each.

Everyone keeps warning of the doom and gloom of viruses and all sorts of malware looming on the horizon for Apple products, mainly OS X. That dreaded horizon keeps proving to be a mirage, as I heard this before I bought my first Mac in 2005. Hasn't happened, and really, its not likely to happen. Most who claim this have no idea how OS X works or one whit about its origins. Apple DID have MANY more viruses in the past - before they migrated to OS X. Make no mistake, the concerns for security were designed into UNIX long before anyone at Apple was considering basing their OS on it, and so it was already an advantageous starting point. What is more true in terms of malware and OS security is that Microsoft is closing the gap very quickly. As MS gradually sheds legacy support, this will become more evident as old exploit tricks become unusable. If you want to fear a coming flood of malware on a platform, keep your eyes on Android - its too fractious, and moving too fast, and gaining market share fast. People are using phones as their primary or ONLY computer. That's the future fertile ground for malware.

As for Windows 8 (and Windows 7 Phone, Windows 7.5 Phone), the 'tile' based interface originally called 'Metro' in Win8 I prefer to call 'the brick wall'. Every time I touch that UI I want to hurt someone in Redmond.

Silly me, there's already a UI everyone could and should use IMO. It has borne many children, but in general I still like to refer to it based upon its original - blackbox. Infinitely configurable, super clean, light and efficient. I've run variants of it on every version of Windows since 95, and on most Linux distros I've ever touched. If I could readily install it per user on my Macs, I would. It really wouldn't be too hard to adapt to a touch UI. Shame its withering away.

·
Registered
213 Posts
You sound like an industry insider or Software pro. Nice... Ok maybe I was mistaken about the future risk for Apple considering how they have become a much bigger target now as they have grown so. UNIX does seem to be harder to hack from what I heard. The ubiquity of Windows makes it too easy for people to learn, hack and use malware or spyware.

What do you think about spyware on Mac OS? I hate having my IP address and statistics stored on Corporate databases for eternity. i.e. Google getting sued for hacking into Apple's Safari browser to bypass "private browsing".

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The browser is now the biggest door into a person's system. However, the situation with Google is more a case of compromising privacy vs compromising the system itself. Collecting and storing data, especially tracking data, does not have to involve exploiting and running malicious software on someone's system, and much of such an invasion of privacy is what isn't stored on the system - its what's stored by the entity abusing your privacy.

The few exploits for Mac OS X thus far (less than a dozen, still) have still involved 2 key things; the browser, and social engineering of the computer user. One thing that has always been true is that the most effective point of exploit on any system is the user. Complacency or a cavalier attitude about the security of OS X is a big part of the reason the few nasties out there have worked. That's not really a flaw of the platform, its a flaw of the user.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I made the switch from Apple Mac Book Pro to Panasonic Toughbook and I am happy. After many years of frustration with Apple and related proprietary programs and applications (e.g. unable to set UPS worldship on Mac OS - just to name one application) I am happy with Windows 7 professional edition and Panasonic Tough Book. No wonder it is the military prefeferred hardware not only here but the entire NATO. Tough Book is the way to go. I can slam that laptop on any TSA counter as it is shock proof, water proof, al-Quaeda proof. LOL You can only get that baby online; haven't seen it in BestBuys, Staples, Office Deport or Costo... It's fast, reliable and simple - form and function at its best! Panasonic is the way to go! Call me conservative (which I am not) but I am happy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
jogosub
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing