Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
'13 Ouback 3.6 limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What bulbs are you guys using?

I prefer to not do any conversions right now. Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
100 W low and 130W high beams....there are many posts on this issue elsewhere on these pages....

·
Registered
'13 Ouback 3.6 limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What company?

I was so pissed this morning I just posted without searching.

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
Daniel Stern knows all about lighting.

Vince

·
Registered
'00 Legacy OBW Ltd
306 Posts

Vince
Yes, he does but the lack of a link to the information you are referring to does not help as much. Here is a direct link to what Vince referenced: Can I convert my halogen headlamps to HID? Source & More information: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/42731-2011-outback-low-beam-hid-kit.html. Great quality pictures on that thread.

If you want MUCH better lighting with proper projectors with out the "squirrel finder" feature, retrofit the Retro-Quik projectors from these guys (The RetroFit Source). Here is a thread about using the system on the older generation projectors How To: Retrofitting Projectors (TRS HID)

Squirrel Finders are the square of light above the cutoff that is visible in this guy's underground garage picture in the "UPDATE" section.). i.e. any stray light above the cutoff is glare for the other drivers.

FYI - light is measure in lumens. Here is why any stray light above the cut-off is bad.
Halogen bulbs are ~1500 lumens
HID bulbs are ~3200 lumes (4300k color temperature)

·
Registered
'00 Legacy OBW Ltd
306 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
Changing the projectors too, you will get ACTUAL BENEFIT from your HID's!!

Vince

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
Yep,
It's refreshing to see REAL advice given on a car forum.

Vince

·
Registered
'00 Legacy OBW Ltd
306 Posts
That is because I am really annoyed and blinded by those that do a drop-in HID system. If you are going to do it...do it right and get most benefit to yourself as well as others.

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
That's what "winds me up", NEITHER of us can see! your beam runs out so fast and so hard that you can't see very far and I get blinded when I get near you.

The "fart cannon" muffler thing just makes me laugh. 99% of folks do not change the exhaust system so you have this 9" I.D. muffler mated to a 3/8" midpipe and it just sounds silly.

Vince

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,676 Posts

Vince
After reading through his web site I went with his suggestion for bulb replacement...I put in the higher 65W Osram off road lows and HiR1 high beam. That, I found, was good enough for regular driving.

·
Registered
2012 OB Limited, 3.6, AT
126 Posts
I am in love with the HIR's! the 2009 Forester had them.

Vince

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
I'm also using the HIR1 highbeam upgrade. Makes a world of difference.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts