Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just re-installed my motor after doing headgaskets, seals, etc.

Everything went well, but now I can not get fire from my coil. My fuel gauge is pegged way below empty and my temp gauge is pegged way above hot. They're obviously not working. It was late tonight so I gave up and will tackle it again in the a.m.

If anybody knows of a plug, fuse or breaker that will affect the ignition and gauges please let me know. Everything else such as starter, lights, dash lights, etc. seem to be normal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
sounds to me like you missed hooking a ground connection back up when you were re-installing the intake and various engine connections. That would explain the odd gauge behavior and no coil fire because of no path to ground. but the coil may be independently grounded through the harness as well. So I would triple check with flash light and mirror all the ground points that would have been disturbed during head gasket job. good luck guy
 

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
Joined
·
191 Posts
check the ground on the intake next to the coil is both Clean and tight, woudn't hurt to look at the other grounds as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx guys. I was having the same thoughts as I half slept last night. That's the only thing that fits all the symptoms. I'll check it out today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I pulled and reseated the relays in the front fuse box. It fixed two of three symptoms. It starts and runs good and the fuel gauge works. My temp gauge is still pegged at extreme high so I'll do some reading and more checking. I don't want to let it run very long until I have a temp gauge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got 'er fixed! It was my relays, I had gotten moisture in their prior to engine removal. I found one of the relays with moisture. I sprayed it with contact cleaner and everything came to normal.

I had a fairly steady oil drip at the front and was ready to take the timing covers off. I decided to take it on a good drive instead. I went for a 20 minute trip and when I came back it had stopped. I'm thinking it had to warm up to set the front seal.

But she's running like a new one and I'm happy!! Big thanx to this board!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top