Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need more seats in my 97 outback. I would like to either replace the two front seats with a bench seat. Or, add a third row seat from some other vehicle to the back.

Has anyone here tried either of these options? If so, how did you do it and how did it turn out, and where did you get the donor seat from?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
I can't speak to how to install more seats, but my main concern would be how to install a crash restraint system for a 3rd row seat. I don't know where in the rear of the chassis is sufficiently reinforced to take the shock load of extra seats bolted to it - and occupant loads against seat belts - in the event of a crash. Not sure if this is a concern for you or not.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Crush zone ie passenger cage ends at the rear axle anything behind it is crushed in a accident. OB is not a 3rd row built platform.

Need more seats - buy a 7-8 passenger SUV or Mini Van

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not too concerned about seat belts. If it is a rear facing seat I should be able to mount the new belt hardware to the same reinforced area as the rear seat belts are mounted to. If I install facing seat the shoulder belt can be mounted to the rear pillar with a bit of reinforcing and the lower part of the belt fastened to the rear frame rails.

If I replace the front seats with a bench then the seat belt mounting will be even easier.

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
I need more seats in my 97 outback. I would like to either replace the two front seats with a bench seat. Or, add a third row seat from some other vehicle to the back.

Has anyone here tried either of these options? If so, how did you do it and how did it turn out, and where did you get the donor seat from?

Any suggestions would be helpful.
This is probably one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard. If you get into an accident you are going to kill anyone sitting in these "additional" seats.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited, Special Appearance Package, Brilliant Brown Pearl, Saddle Brown Leather, HK Audio, Moonroof, Navigation
214 Posts
All around, just a bad idea.

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,323 Posts
Please don't even try this.

Just...no.

·
Registered
2003 Outback, 5 MT, 134K, HG changed.
184 Posts
... If you get into an accident you are going to kill anyone sitting in these "additional" seats.

It's not only them, but the possibility of the occupants and the extra seat flying off will put everyone else in the normal seats at risk, no matter which way the extra seats are facing. If you really need to carry 7 people and have bench seats up front, get an old Suburban.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
I concur with others in that you are changing a crucial part of the original engineering of the vehicle.:17: A simple change in seating could do just what most others have stated, resulting in a dangerous condition not only for the passenger in the new seat, but for everyone.

I would hate to think of how things might turn out in the end, should someone get seriously injured, maimed, or WORSE, while you happen to be trucking seven people from point A to point B. I know I wouldn't be able to sleep thinking of all the things that could go wrong.:confused:

Need more seats?
Buy another vehicle designed with that many seats, or more!;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Some states have passed laws dealing with transporting people in the rear of pickup trucks. Different states different laws. Some says no people in the bed, some say people are OK if speed doesn’t exceed 25 mph others say you must have a cap.

"And the beat goes on"

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Might help to know some 'Ws' here, like who are the additional passengers desired, traveling where, and why. If the 'who' aren't adults, forget it - don't kill anyone's kids. If the 'where' isn't high speed and on road, and the 'who' is adults, at least they could do it at their own risk. (BTW, anything above 15mph is basically considered 'high speed' in safety engineering terms. Ever ridden the seatbelt 'convincer'? You reach a top speed of about 15mph on those.) The why - mostly curious, but might help suggest a better solution, or at least the safest one possible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts