Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have a 2005 Subaru outback sport with KYB struts, King springs and 3/4" lift spacers in the rear and 1/2" lift spacers in the front. I want to get a good AT tire. How big of a tire can I put on the 16" wheels with the setup I currently have? Should I go to a 15" wheel and get a bigger profile tire? I'm going for the Rally look and am looking for any advice out there. thanks Suby bruthas

·
Registered
514 Posts
If you live where there is any snow, I would hesitate putting any tires on the vehicle that are wider than the OEM tires. I've followed people in 4x4's that are driving in deep snow, and instead of sinking down to the base, the vehicle was riding on top, sinking in, riding on top, sinking in. Kind of like Hydro-planing, but "Snow-planing!"

The first thing that came to mind was "how much control can someone possibly have with tires that are riding between the surface of the snow and the base?" I had a 2WD truck and went by the guy without any problem at all as my tires were all constantly sinking to the base while his tires didn't know what to do!

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
+1 on going skinny for snow tires.

Best reason to use 15" vs 16" is to have access to more and cheaper tire and wheel choices. Price them out and see if it is much different. Also a higher profile 15" will be tougher than a lower 16", which is why the rally guys like them. Harder to kill on a curb, rock, tree limb etc.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
rasterman
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing