Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R
6 Posts
I've bought the 9 inch version about a month ago (the other one from your link, Android 8.1 version). Yesterday it arrived. (I'm not from the USA, and I ordered it directly from China)
The installation is super simple, I had the original radio with small screen w/o harman kardon amp (model PE627U1), there is some issues though.
The wiring harness is not wired correctly for the original backup camera, so that must be fixed, this requieres the relocation of one of the pins in the harness (from pin 12 to 14 on the 28 pin connector). Consider as well that the original camera doesn't have the guidelines incorporated into the image as the aftermarket cameras do, I haven't found a way to incorporate the guidelines via software yet.
The center console usb is now disconnected, as I haven't found that adapter yet and it doesn't come with the radio.
Steering wheel controls are very easy to configure and they are already wired.
Also the antenna adapter doesn't fit the connector on the car, so you have to buy a Toyota adapter (the outback and legacy of this generation uses a Toyota connector).
The fitment is not perfect as well, I can't fit one of the 6 clips that hold the panel into the car.
Software wise, is quite responsive with the installed apps, but as the model I bought has limited ram (1 GB), I don't recommend putting to many apps there, I think however is a really nice upgrade and doesn't look too aftermarket (one of the things I didn't like was just using a 2 DIN adapter because of the looks)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've bought the 9 inch version about a month ago (the other one from your link, Android 8.1 version). Yesterday it arrived. (I'm not from the USA, and I ordered it directly from China)
The installation is super simple, I had the original radio with small screen w/o harman kardon amp (model PE627U1), there is some issues though.
The wiring harness is not wired correctly for the original backup camera, so that must be fixed, this requieres the relocation of one of the pins in the harness (from pin 12 to 14 on the 28 pin connector). Consider as well that the original camera doesn't have the guidelines incorporated into the image as the aftermarket cameras do, I haven't found a way to incorporate the guidelines via software yet.
The center console usb is now disconnected, as I haven't found that adapter yet and it doesn't come with the radio.
Steering wheel controls are very easy to configure and they are already wired.
Also the antenna adapter doesn't fit the connector on the car, so you have to buy a Toyota adapter (the outback and legacy of this generation uses a Toyota connector).
The fitment is not perfect as well, I can't fit one of the 6 clips that hold the panel into the car.
Software wise, is quite responsive with the installed apps, but as the model I bought has limited ram (1 GB), I don't recommend putting to many apps there, I think however is a really nice upgrade and doesn't look too aftermarket (one of the things I didn't like was just using a 2 DIN adapter because of the looks)
Did you ever fix the camera issue? I'm having problems configuring the phone options on the steering control.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R
6 Posts
Did you ever fix the camera issue? I'm having problems configuring the phone options on the steering control.
For the camera I just relocated the pins using an unused part of the included harness, there were a few post on a legacy forum with the pinout. For the lines is posible to enable them on the factory menu (code for my radio is 8888), that menu is extremely bad translated, so be careful changing options there.
What kind of issues? according to the service manual of our car you could measure the resistance on the lines to know if that portion is working fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

also what is this cable for? is this the stock usb port cable? my stock usb port is not working with the head unit.

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R
6 Posts
This is my problem, the phone buttons do not work, but the volume up/down and play next and back works.
those connections are in the main harness (the big 28 pin one), check that.

My guess it has to do with these cables that I can not connect anywhere in the back of the head unit.
The white one looks like the one for the rear channels, check if those work, if they do, maybe you have an external amplifier, if they don't you are missing a cable into the new radio
The black one is just a ground, not required.

How do I connect my rear camera to the head unit?
If the connection is not in the harness I really don't know how to make that work

also what is this cable for? is this the stock usb port cable? my stock usb port is not working with the head unit.
That is the cable for the stock usb port, you can use it with an adapter called "AX-SUBUSB Axxess Metra"

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any experience with Apple Carplay for iPhone? is it supported on this unit? if yes - is it wired or wireless?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any experience with Apple Carplay for iPhone? is it supported on this unit? if yes - is it wired or wireless?
I recently added apple wireless apple carplay, works fine a bit of a lag while establishing the connection. i'm going to jailbreak my phone and test carbridge soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts