2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What the **** have I just done?!

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6 , '12 OB 3.6 (Deceased MVA), '11 OB 2.5 , '11 Legacy 2.5
143 Posts
Just think of all the money you're saving by doing it yourself. Much cheaper than a new car payment.

·
Registered
2009 Outback 3.0R Ltd RIP 2006 Baja Turbo
86 Posts
What have you done?
You have made a decision to purchase quality parts at the best prices using a supporting vendor!
I especially applaud your choice for picking raybestos for rotors and pads.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,141 Posts
You are going to throw that 12.37 thermostat in the trash correct?
Then you will buy the OEM correct one, which is going to cost less and use the right one?
You know a non oem thermo is JUNK right?

Those rotors will last a year then warp badly too, cause yeah, not oem.

I would also toss the felpro headgaskets in garbage and put on OEM "turbo" gaskets.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,995 Posts
What the **** have I just done?!
I'd say offhand that you've forgotten this promise that was made to us a while back after the last one you did: :devilish:

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another fix and flip! I am about ready to find one for myself!
Nice! Are you going to document it here?
What have you done?
You have made a decision to purchase quality parts at the best prices using a supporting vendor!
I especially applaud your choice for picking raybestos for rotors and pads.
I'm in love with the Raybestos Element 3's... I think they're fantastic!
You animal.

Can't wait to see some of that hot, steamy action.
You make it sound so... dirty!
You are going to throw that 12.37 thermostat in the trash correct?
Then you will buy the OEM correct one, which is going to cost less and use the right one?
You know a non oem thermo is JUNK right?

Those rotors will last a year then warp badly too, cause yeah, not oem.

I would also toss the felpro headgaskets in garbage and put on OEM "turbo" gaskets.
I don't even know where to start with this :rolleyes: Where's the dislike button?
I'd say offhand that you've forgotten this promise that was made to us a while back after the last one you did: :devilish:

You called it though! Does that mean you take the blame? I think so. This is your fault.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback Base. 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i. 2013 Harely-Davidson FLHTK.
743 Posts
When I do find that fix-n-flip I will document it here.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
You called it though!
If I see much further than the next guy, it's only because I'm probably looking at myself! :)

Good luck with the project. The Fel Pro gaskets will do just fine, BTW; I've got Six Star in mine and they have held up OK. They don't have to be the genuine Subaru multi-layer XT part; both Fel Pro and Six Star multilayer are good quality gaskets.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If I see much further than the next guy, it's only because I'm probably looking at myself! :)

Good luck with the project. The Fel Pro gaskets will do just fine, BTW; I've got Six Star in mine and they have held up OK. They don't have to be the genuine Subaru multi-layer XT part; both Fel Pro and Six Star multilayer are good quality gaskets.
Yeah.. I'm not worried about the felpro gaskets--they'll be just fine.

Wow... it really adds up.
Hahaha.. right?!

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Wow... it really adds up.
That total is nothing compared to the time put in to do the job right - and I know @aesthetic.rake does do it right, take a look at the photos from the last time he succumbed to the temptation to tackle a project this size.

But he doesn't hold the all-time biggest Outback project title - that rightfully belongs to this guy, and the title will likely stay with him:

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Did he finish? I really wanted to see it done.
Now that you point it out, it sort of looks like he just dropped off the edge of the earth after posting a continuous stream of project updates. And there indeed were a couple of hiccups toward the end.

I likewise was rooting for him to successfully complete it.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,336 Posts
Now that you point it out, it sort of looks like he just dropped off the edge of the earth after posting a continuous stream of project updates. And there indeed were a couple of hiccups toward the end.

I likewise was rooting for him to successfully complete it.
I mean. A project car is never really done.

The Baja still has the airbag light on and needs a subwoofer.

I also have an external transmission cooler I plan on installing.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That total is nothing compared to the time put in to do the job right - and I know @aesthetic.rake does do it right, take a look at the photos from the last time he succumbed to the temptation to tackle a project this size.

But he doesn't hold the all-time biggest Outback project title - that rightfully belongs to this guy, and the title will likely stay with him:

I've ripped apart some Subaru's before but holy **** that car is absolutely gutted! How did I miss that thread? Where is that guy?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts