Subaru Outback Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
482 Posts
Was it mis boxed or does the part number match? And did you go with gen 2 or gen 3 struts?

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Was it mis boxed or does the part number match? And did you go with gen 2 or gen 3 struts?
Part number on the box was correct. Part number of the strut is correct. It's the correct part, KYB just let it go with the spring perch installed upside down. I didn't realize those perches could be popped off pretty easy with just a few wacks of a hammer but apparently it wasn't a big deal to set right. (y)

I went with gen 3 struts.

·
Registered
2005 2.5i Limited 5MT California & 2016 base 2.5i
673 Posts
I want to do the ozone generator in my car at some point but I've heard that it advances rust - any thoughts on that?

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I want to do the ozone generator in my car at some point but I've heard that it advances rust - any thoughts on that?
Other than small parts of the parking brake handle I'm not aware of any raw metal in the car and you know how far I've had them stripped down. The ozone won't harm any of the painted surfaces and while it could cause some harm to certain plastics (I've heard) I've left an ozone generator running in an Outback for a week without ill effect. I think you're good to go. (y) :cool:

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Well, what I hope to be my last order showed up yesterday. I think the FedEx lady was a little upset I didn't come out to the truck to greet her like I normally do, but I was busy doing something very very important.. roasting coffee :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::cool:

Have you guys ever had fresh roasted coffee before? My wife and I started down this path 6 or 7 years ago and there's no going back. Once you've been initiated, it's over. Folgers will never suffice again and you grow quickly to loathe starbucks and their burnt bullshit version of "coffee."

I used to shake a pot of coffee over a turkey fryer until I built this roaster. It's a basket I welded a handle to and installed into a clapped out propane grill I had. Works great!

Anyways.. judging by what I got from Subaru, the ball joints at one point had been replaced. Odd, considering the low mileage on this thing. When I ripped the suspension apart on the sex wagon (05 LGT @ 170k miles) it had the OE ball joints. I'm nearly certain the 06 Outbean with 210+ on the clock has the OE ball joints. These must be aftermarket.. and did not last long. Oh well. New Subaru OEM units to the rescue.

I also managed to get the axles installed today. Napa no longer is carrying reman'd axles, which I thought was strange. He said he thought it was a safety thing or something? Anyways, they had these new and since the axles that were in the car were giving the car the great shake in gear while stationary, I thought I'd give them a try. They're pretty close to OE in shape unlike the ones I pulled out of it. Not saying the shape alone is what causes the vibration of course.. just sayin.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #86 (Edited)
Unbeknownst to me when I bought the car, it was missing a lot of little things. Things you wouldn't really pay much attention to when you're buying a car. The cognitive load is pretty high and you're looking out for a lot of different things. Only later, after you've had a chance to study the car more thoroughly does it dawn on you--one or more of the splash guards is missing. Now you've got to get out there and find them. I called several junk yards, even emailing a few out of my area that specialize in Subaru's and not one would walk out into the yard to find me these items. One (LKQ) offered to sell me an entire fender if I wanted the splash guard, for $125. I did end up locating some at my local pick and pull, but, it wasn't a raw black plastic version, it had been painted. At first I had thought about using a chemical stripper to get the paint off but I wasn't sure what the stripper would do to the plastic. Then I thought about sand blasting or bead blasting it but I didn't want to buy a new tool just for this (not that I'm opposed to a cabinet bead blaster, I'm just completely out of space in the shop for something like that.)

I ended up buying a new one from Subaru. $35 saved me tons of hassle.

And even though it's new, it doesn't look too far off. A few months on the car and it'll be banged up enough to look like all the others...

Included in the list of things I didn't realize were missing was the forward drivers side mud flap. Mud flap? I don't really know what its purpose is. They're in front of the wheel and sort of inward from the bodies edge. Anyways, found it on the car I pulled the headlights and front bumper off of. This too I couldn't get any junk yard to go pull off a car for me. :rolleyes:

I still have to find one more clip for it...

The other things that were missing, that I'd never paid any attention to, were these inserts and covers that you use to tie down child safety seats? I don't have kids, and never--ever paid any attention to these things. On my way home, I glanced into the back seat and saw the holes where they used to be. I was distraught, because I missed them when looking over the car, but more that some ******* had cut the leather to gain access to the bolts to remove the upper rear seat. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit how little attention I've paid to them, but looking over cars from the past, they've all had them.

Embarrassment quickly turned to anger when I saw how much Subaru wanted for them. $200, in total, for the two outer inserts, the two inner inserts (they are different) and the four covers. Lame! Again, no salvage yard I spoke with would bother looking and only LKQ offered to sell me a seat, for the low price of $175--but could not guarantee the caps or inserts would be there. The car I was going out to get the other parts from had a black interior but was missing all of them as well. Luckly, I ended up finding both inner inserts and two caps in the car when I tore it apart. One cap being wedged under the passenger side heater vent under the passenger side seat, the insert for it wedged up under the folding rear seat, and then one insert and cap together in the passenger front door pocket (the rattle they made was very annoying.)

On a whim, I called one last semi-local junk yard and asked if I could get out on their yard. According to their website, they had a white 2.5i Legacy sedan on their lot. Inside it I found the others that I needed. All for a whopping $5. I was absolutely ecstatic. I really did not want to buy them from Subaru for $100. I was dreading the thought.

So at this point, it's tires and TPMS sensors, alignment, windshield and paint.

We're all aware Subaru isn't exactly known for their paint and for some reason it seems like this Champagne Gold Opel (or whatever it's called) doesn't seem to hold up very well. I've seen a few cars this color terribly faded--our own 06 LLBean being one of them. I learned my lesson the last time I painted on a Subaru to take a panel down for the paint shop to match. The guys I had mix up a batch of paint for me to do my wifes bumper after she was backed into said the color the car was, versus what it was supposed to be was quite a bit off and I expect this car to be the same.

These are from the LLBean I repaired last year...

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
One last image to go with the above repair pics..

We'll see if I can do as good of a job on this car as I did on the Outbean.

The first step though, is bringing a panel to the paint shop. The easiest one IMO to take, is the fuel door..

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
4,995 Posts
Excellent work on the paint, as always!

We're all aware Subaru isn't exactly known for their paint and for some reason it seems like this Champagne Gold Opel (or whatever it's called) doesn't seem to hold up very well.
That's exactly what they called it. And you're correct, it really didn't hold up very well - especially on the body cladding. When my 2005 Outback with that monotone color scheme was totaled from a rear end accident at the young age of only three, I simply emailed the guy who I dealt with the first time, explained the situation, and asked him to give me his best quote on a replacement. I didn't have many boundaries on color, but this paint scheme was one of them - as in, "anything but that color again".

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Excellent work on the paint, as always!

That's exactly what they called it. And you're correct, it really didn't hold up very well - especially on the body cladding. When my 2005 Outback with that monotone color scheme was totaled from a rear end accident at the young age of only three, I simply emailed the guy who I dealt with the first time, explained the situation, and asked him to give me his best quote on a replacement. I didn't have many boundaries on color, but this paint scheme was one of them - as in, "anything but that color again".
I see a lot of this color Outbacks around. Gold too. The other day I stopped by my local butcher to pick up dinner and saw this seafoam green colored Outback that was AMAZING! I hadn't seen the color yet, even online and didn't know Outbacks came in that color but it was gorgeous. I'd love to find me a 3.0r in that color one day!

Back to the project.. I got the call late last night that the paint was ready for pickup. I'm thinking maybe for now I'll shoot the front bumper, just so I can put the car back together then shoot the hood later? I don't know..

The tires are ordered as well. Costco is having a rebate on the BFGoodrich's I like to put on these. They're great tires and last for a long time. $110 off at Costco can't be beat IMO.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 3.0R Limited
72 Posts
I'll never get tired of these threads. Don't even worry about it getting "stale". It won't. I'm amazed at what you do. Can I just come spend this summer with you and watch and learn??? Gosh, how I would LOVE to go through my Outback the way you do with these projects. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
So, I started prepping the body panels that needed work earlier this week. The tires are on order and won't be here until Friday of next week and I wanted to keep forward progress on the car.

The bumper I picked up to replace the OE one was a different color, but in pretty good shape. I washed down real good with dish soap and a green scotch-brite to remove all the oil and grease off of it and start cutting down all the gloss. I used a brush to get down into all the nooks and crannies. From there, I dried it, then started to hit the areas I wanted to repair with 100 grit sandpaper.

From there, I broke out my electric sander and went to town on the rest of the bumper cover...

Turns out, the bumper had been painted before. I found a few instances of repairs, but all the extra material made it easy to block out what I needed to to get it pretty smooth again. Fortunately, the Champagne color of the car is very forgiving when it comes to paint. As with most light colors you can get away with leaving all kinds of stuff that would never dream of leaving on a dark colored car. Not that that is an excuse to hack the job of course, but, it's nice to have that bit of latitude.

To make the repairs I wanted to the bumper cover, first I'm going to wax and degrease it....

The put a little putty. In this case, a lot of putty.

Lots of little rock chips, a few scrapes and bruises. Nothing too serious. I was a bit heavy handed with the putty though and that forced me to put out some extra effort as you'll see when I block it out.

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
I had so much putty on there I decided to block it down with 100 grit. 100 grit hogged it down in a hurry...

From there we're going to refine the sand scratch down to 220...

Then 400 grit...

I went over the cover a few times with wax and grease remover, and this was the final result.. she's ready for primer...

You can see just how much of the filler I removed. Lots of what I was trying to fill up ended up getting blocked out from all the extra paint. Their paint stuck well, so I don't mind using it as a base...

The hood had some issues as well. A nasty rock chip that flaked the paint. I used the spot to test the paint I had mixed up for this project, so that's why its painted. I went through and touched up a few spots on the rest of the car with a ultra fine brush, and couldn't resist slapping some paint on that rock chip.

The camera makes the color match look worse than it is and I think the addition of some clear coat will darken it up a little. Color matching is always tough but for this color I think it's double tough given its propensity to fade. Using my electric sander, I hogged it down...

Surprise surprise! The hood has been painted before as well. That's alright..

There was another dent further up in the hood, about dead center. It was in a terrible spot... and if I'm honest, every time I looked at the car I noticed absolutely nothing else about it. That dent was really annoying to me for some reason..

Here they both are with some filler in em...

After blocking the filler down like I did the bumper cover, I prepped out the rest of the hood for paint..

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
It rained like **** last night here but no rain was forecast this morning, so, we better get this knocked out just in case.

I drug everything out and get set up. It's cold outside.. way too cold to paint that's for sure. We've got a special tool in our shop today though that's going to help with that. We've just got to get primer on it for now anyways..

I don't want to risk getting over spray on the car at all so the whole thing is getting bagged off..

The bumper cover is set up along with a small workstation for me to mix my epoxy primer and clean the gun out afterward.. I pulled the car out of the shop just far enough so I could quickly get it back in the garage if it started raining..

Our trusty DeVilbiss... I've owned a few spray guns over the years but this is by far my favorite! It's a one spray gun do all and since it's not an HVLP, you don't need a monstrous compressor to run it.

It's time to prime. Actually, it went very quick. So quick in fact, it took me longer to clean my gun out than it did to shoot what I needed to.

Made a mess of my driveway. Fortunately, it's a driveway built in the 60's plus it rained last night so none of the overspray will stick.

The overspray is kind of embarrassing if I'm honest..

Now comes out the new tool we picked up. A good friend of mine down the road and I went in halves on this thing. Neither of us really have a use for it by ourselves and the cost was kinda high, considering, but those costs split 50:50 made it achievable for us. He's working on a ground up 54 f100 hot rod project and I of course had this project coming up so, well worth it..

200°F is as hot as you want to get it but I'm not really comfortable getting it that hot.. I think this is good enough..

As of right now, you're completely caught up. The heater is running out in the shop right now. The door is closed and the shop temps are running right around 80 or so. We'll keep it there for a few hours, hopefully long enough to get this primer to cure so we can cut it up and get to putting on some base and clear next week. I'm hoping there's a weather window too next week.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts