Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a gas smell both inside and outside of car while running.
I have looked around under hood and don't see any noticeable leaks. Anyone have any ideas what this might be?
A couple weeks ago the CEL was on for a couple days, had Autozone check it and it showed I had an emissions leak, think there is any connection?

Thanks for any help,
Tom

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Maybe snoop and sniff around the various evaporative emission control hoses, and take a very close look at the connections at the fuel filter.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
I know your vehicle is a MY00, but there was a TSB on WRX's about a fuel line gasket separating slightly in colder weather and fuel smell coming in the cabin. Wether or not that pertains to your case, I thought I would let you know that it may be an o-ring or something. Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 99 OB LTD that had a gas smell after refilling tank. The car failed CT Emissions (back when we had it!) and the report indicated the gas cap wasn't sealing. I did not get a CE light, though.
I replaced the gas cap and the smell went away. I don't know if it passes emissions because our state is so screwed up, they can't get the vendor to fix their problems, so the system has been offline for 2 years since my test. I would expect the car to pass now.
The only difference between the OEM cap and the one I replaced it with was the little plastic cable that attached the cap to the car so you wouldn't forget to put the cap back on. The new cap had a punch out for the cable in the top of the cap, but I didn't install it. I think the hole for the cable may have caused the smell problem in the first place.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
BobD
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing