Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a competitor today and they asked me if Subaru had resolved the Head Gasket issues of the Outback and I have no clue...any info?

Thanks again

·
Registered
22,803 Posts
I was at a competitor today and they asked me if Subaru had resolved the Head Gasket issues of the Outback and I have no clue...any info?

Thanks again
Was it a VW dealer? LOL

Yes they have the major issue between late 99 through about late 2002 was caused by a bad gasket which subaru changed to a multi layer higher quality type gasket which is basically the same as what they use in the Turbo engines which are not known for HG leaks.

Even so my 2001 had a leaky gasket - subaru replaced it $1500 charge they covered it - car was in their hands 24hrs it had 64,000 miles on it. I sold it with 180,000 miles on it no leaks.

The 2013 2.5 engine is ALL BRANDNEW it does not share anything with the old 2.5 from the late 90's. From some reports it looks like the head to block is semi closed which reduces the leak potential and they no doubt are using multi layer gaskets like any other auto maker.

If you really want to see the difference between Subaru and a different maker - call the service department of both dealers - ask them what it would cost to replace a leaky head gasket. I can promise you any other 4cylinder engine ie maker will be at least Twice the price of the Subaru. My Cousin paid $4000 to replace the head and gasket on his VW - the long skinny heads on the inline 4's rarely survive a HG failure they are fairly fragile.

The very short compact and extremely strong heads on the flat 4 Subaru's rarely ever need much other than a new HG if the HG were to fail.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

Thanks again
Who would think a competing automaker salesperson might lie to you?

·
Premium Member
2004 Outback Wagon, Mystic Blue Pearl
4,940 Posts
Anyone who doesn't assume their head gaskets are going to go on a 4 cylinder Outback has not watched the head gasket failure log thread. As newer model years begin to reach the age/mileage where failure has occurred in the past, they fail. Right now we are at about the 2006-2007 model years, where we see failures. As time progresses I am confident we will see newer model years fail.

For 2013, they have a completely redesigned engine, and therefore the best chance yet for the issue to have been resolved. But I will believe it in about 10 years when I see lower numbers of reported failures.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Thank you, that is what I really needed to know, perfect
The truth is no one knows. For years people have said the issue has been fixed, and for years they have been shown to be wrong. The new design of the block on the 2013 would suggest it will be less likely to have failures, but only time will tell. Don't go in to buying one assuming it has been fixed, no one here has the credentials to say that it has, anyone short of the Subaru engine designer is not qualified to say its been fixed at this point.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The truth is no one knows. For years people have said the issue has been fixed, and for years they have been shown to be wrong. The new design of the block on the 2013 would suggest it will be less likely to have failures, but only time will tell. Don't go in to buying one assuming it has been fixed, no one here has the credentials to say that it has, anyone short of the Subaru engine designer is not qualified to say its been fixed at this point.
Thanks rockhopjohn

·
Meh.
I has wagons.
12,345 Posts
I will say that the external leak of the Phase II SOHC engine is much easier to deal with (or let leak and keep fluids topped up) than the internal leaks my old Ford 3.8 was prone to.

I'll take a leaker over a over-heater any day. Well, right after not having issues.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
I will add that many of those newer "failures" appear to be people getting nervous about some oil seepage at the mating surfaces. Dealerships have seen this seepage that is normal on nearly all engines at high milage as an easy moneymaker for the shop. Especially with the reputation of the earlier engines failures working in thier favor. I would never replace a head gasket with some minor seepage. There would have to be an active, flowing leak and some need to add oil or coolant at a high rate before I would pull the heads.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will add that many of those newer "failures" appear to be people getting nervous about some oil seepage at the mating surfaces. Dealerships have seen this seepage that is normal on nearly all engines at high milage as an easy moneymaker for the shop. Especially with the reputation of the earlier engines failures working in thier favor. I would never replace a head gasket with some minor seepage. There would have to be an active, flowing leak and some need to add oil or coolant at a high rate before I would pull the heads.
Thanks, very helpful. I have my pricing finally that is acceptable so I will probably be buying a car within 2 weeks..... Time to fly, Green or that new Blue, I shall see what the Mrs. likes.

So right not it is a LTD
I have decided to get the nav/eyesite/moonroof as I want the roof and I think the Eyesite is a good idea
Splash guards I am on the fence about
Electric inside started I think is a good thing to have
Door guards I am not sure if they are needed
Cargo net
Rear Bumper cover (not sure if this is needed).

That is my list to date, waiting to see what side molding and electric start do to the price.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
I would largely agree with this assessment. I replaced my HG, which was leaking oil on my 2004 at 68k miles, only because I had an extended warranty and it was covered. Otherwise I would likely have been able to milk it MANY more miles before having it done.

Plus I had never had a siginificant oil leak from my car, so it was likely just a minor weep.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
Worst engine ever for head gasket issues was the GM Quad 4. Bad...very bad, but it would run like a scalded rhino

1 - 13 of 13 Posts