Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my 2001 outback might have taken it's last drive today. It has 130,000 miles and I've put only 13,000 miles on it since I've had it. I've been adding antifreeze/oil to it for a while now ever since I bought it and the conditioner/stop leak periodically too. I will never buy another used car without a complete check by a garage after this one. This car has enough other issues that prompted me to decide a while back it wasn't worth the $$ to have the head gaskets done, the oil seals, the timing belt, the waterpump, the shocks/struts, the oxygen sensor or whatever keeps the check engine light on constantly, new tires, etc, etc, and etc. Not to mention I've been limping it along to try and save up money which due to other circumstances hasn't happened.

I was driving to work and it died while slowing down for a stop sign. Tried to restart it and it wouldn't start, waited a minute or two and then it started. Made it a few more miles and it died again while I was going highway (55) speeds. Just before it died I heard a slight clicking/clattering coming from the engine. Steam was billowing out from under the hood. I opened the hood and saw the overflow tank was empty and the cap blown open, and the steam was coming from the radiator cap. Opened it and then the car continued to blow steam out for at least a few minutes until I left it when fortunately a friendly motorist stopped and gave me a ride. Went back to the car several hours later and filled it with coolant, tried to start it but it will not start, all it does is shoot antifreeze out of the radiator like a geyser when turning over. Now it's in my driveway after getting it towed.

My questions are;

Am I correct in thinking more than likely it has major engine damage from it overheating?

What exactly is happening that causes it to spit up the antifreeze while turning over?

And anyone in southern wi looking for a parts car? :(

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Completely blown head gasket. Every time the engine turns (twice per turn actually) it is trying to pressurize the air fuel mixture to burn it. But the gasket is obviously wrecked, so all that pressure is escaping forcefully into the cooling system and eventually out the radiator.

If you have already made the decision to dump the car when something major happened, congratulations! You're free at last!

Better luck with the next one. Get it checked, what ever it winds up being.

·
Registered
2001 OBW AWP
87 Posts
Rest in Peace 2001 Outback.
If the body and interior are in good shape you should be able to sell it with the blown engine. Engine swaps are common in the Pacific North West and subbies with bad engines sell very fast here. I don't know in Southern Wi. if there are many subarus. Up here ..well in northern Idaho one in every four cars on the road in winter are subarus.
Parting it out usually brings more money than selling as a parts car. That is if you have the time, space and energy to do it.
I wish you all the best.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts