Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm changing the rear diff gear oil. No Finned Cover???

Am I missing something. I thought all the 3.0 LLBeans got Rear LSD?????

I could have sworn my 01 had a finned cover.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,252 Posts
Get the rear up, spin a tire (uh, by hand. Don't start the car and put it in gear!), see which direction the other tire spins. Same=VLSD, opposite=OPEN

my non-LLbean 03 H6 has the weather package. VLSD rear, I THINK there are no fins on diff. I will check when the wife gets home.
rear wheels spin the same direction.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6 Limited
10,334 Posts
The VLSD is pretty weak and wears out quickly.

I'm not sure if the spin the tire method would work or not.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welll, I buttoned it up. The ONLY thing I noticed was a Star cast into the cover. VLSD?

·
Registered
16,978 Posts
The VLSD is pretty weak and wears out quickly.

I'm not sure if the spin the tire method would work or not.
Possibly. It would depend on what has worn out, i.e., the VC plates, special fluid, or the multiple rubber seals. I believe for the test that was suggested, it's the seal drag that causes the other wheel to turn in sync. (The plates of the VC should rotate fairly freely in a good LSD that's not warmed up.)

Welll, I buttoned it up. The ONLY thing I noticed was a Star cast into the cover. VLSD?
I was too slow responding, but will post this in any event.

I don't know about the star, but the type of differential (open vs VLSD) can be verified visually with the fill & drain plugs out.

This thread -- https://www.subaruforester.org/threads/rear-differential-lsd-vs-non-lsd-pics-inside.19774/ -- on the Forester forum had great photos comparing the LSD and open rear differentials. Unfortunately, the photos are no longer showing in the thread, but I found a couple on Google/Images that will help.

Among the differences identified in the thread is the construction of the the side gears. In this first photo, which is a non-VLSD, we can see that the right side gear teeth are formed all the way across the angled edge:

In the VLSD, the side gear teeth do not extend through the full width of the beveled edge. Instead, the outer circumference of the gear is closed, presumably to provide more strength.

The side gear can be seen looking into the differential through the plug openings. (A boroscope is great for this purpose.)

I used this "identifier" to confirm that my 07 has the VLSD, as indicated in the specifications. I can only presume that the difference was across most if not all models, and years.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,630 Posts
what bean is this by year? and whom may have swapped another year's or models diff on ?

and you have to update your signature, as to what is to be in the running fleet,
and what is in the pick / pull farm. (behind the icy 2 holer outhouse).

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what bean is this by year? and whom may have swapped another year's or models diff on ?

and you have to update your signature, as to what is to be in the running fleet,
and what is in the pick / pull farm. (behind the icy 2 holer outhouse).
If you'll notice, the update to my sig. No more 01 bean. It's now an 02 Bean.

Alas, the Insurance companies are the ones starting the pick & pull behind THEIR outhouse. (Not sure on hole count. It's big, though)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,630 Posts
If you'll notice, the update to my sig. No more 01 bean. It's now an 02 Bean.

Alas, the Insurance companies are the ones starting the pick & pull behind THEIR outhouse. (Not sure on hole count. It's big, though)
you could add the wrecked / not forgotten,
in your signature to denote old posts for people reading. (like gen3 posts),...
some people put RIP / Rust in Pieces/ ...maybe shredded and turned into a nice Ford.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you could add the wrecked / not forgotten,
in your signature to denote old posts for people reading. (like gen3 posts),...
some people put RIP / Rust in Pieces/ ...maybe shredded and turned into a nice Ford.
Dude, If I added all of the cars I've had, there wouldn't be room for reply's!
Seriously though. It kind of rubs me the wrong way when people put their life history of car ownership in their sigs. I really couldn't care about the piece of crap you drove in college.

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
523 Posts
Only the cold weather package, non-VDC cars got a rear VLSD, cold weather package became standard in 02 or 03. Not all the VLSDs have the finned cover.

My '00 with almost 330k miles on it, still passes the spin test with the rear VLSD, and drives noticeably different on the ice with it (I had an open diff in there briefly as a quick fix for a leaking side seal in the original diff and to rule out a bearing noise).

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,871 Posts
My '03 LL Bean if it ever had it it was completely burned out by 55000 miles (miles when I bought it).

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
1,792 Posts
View attachment 476204

In the VLSD, the side gear teeth do not extend through the full width of the beveled edge. Instead, the outer circumference of the gear is closed, presumably to provide more strength.

View attachment 476205
As just an FYI, the gears with the outer circumference closed off are a powdered metal gear, not a gear machined from bar stock or a forging. You will see more more gears made this way - maybe not having the ends closed off but from powdered metal - now that the technology has matured.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I had the rear on stands to check the brakes. I had the classic brake pad mounting ears that were too large. A little work at the grinding wheel, and the pads no longer squeal in reverse.

Anyways, the spin test confirms LSD. Both wheels spin in the same direction. (y):cool:

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,871 Posts
So, I had the rear on stands to check the brakes. I had the classic brake pad mounting ears that were too large. A little work at the grinding wheel, and the pads no longer squeal in reverse.

Anyways, the spin test confirms LSD. Both wheels spin in the same direction. (y):cool:
I thought I was the only guy that was ending up with the oversize ears!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts