Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried it in deep wet snow, 5 speed XT, and it was terrible going uphill from a dead stop, but ok on a straight away. on roads where unplowed only 6", I had problems. My 4x4, had no problems in same conditions.

This was a 24 test with XT, and I'm not keeping it. It was however better at holding the road in the snow once I got moving. But from a dead stop is scarry and dangerous.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ron717 said:
Tried it in deep wet snow, 5 speed XT, and it was terrible going uphill from a dead stop, but ok on a straight away. on roads where unplowed only 6", I had problems. My 4x4, had no problems in same conditions.

This was a 24 test with XT, and I'm not keeping it. It was however better at holding the road in the snow once I got moving. But from a dead stop is scarry and dangerous.
That amount of snow is iffy with any vehicle that has crappy OEM all season tires on it. I had a great time in my XT 5MT this AM in 6 inches of wet snow. Shod with Nokian WRs it didn't slip no matter what I did, and I have a steep driveway.

With all due respect, your 24 hour trial proved what most on these boards already know: you could put Bridgestone RE92s on a Hummer and it would get stuck in 6" of snow. The tires are that bad. Also the 5MT has a very short 1st gear and lots of torque, and it takes a little time to learn how to approach 1st gear in this car.

·
Kiwi Moderator, ,
1,142 Posts
I have also found that an auto is easier to move off in snow from a stop than a manual - you need to be gentle and sometimes it is worth starting in second rather than first, I think that may have made a difference.

Tyres (sorry tires) certainly also make a big difference - but the other test would have been to then retrace your steps in another make of vehicle and see how it went 9or didn't go, as the case may be), that would give you a true comparison of the Subaru's virtues or otherwise.....

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Ron717 said:

Don't base your opinion on an XT equipped with the awful RE-92s!!!

Also, the auto is definitely easier to lunch from an incline. The manual takes some getting used to. But dangerous????

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Ron717 said:

Given your demands, my guess is that the XT is not for you, crappy tires nothwithstanding. It has its limitations--as every vehicle does--and while different tires would make a significant difference, it sounds like that particular stretch of road/driveway you are dealing with requires something the XT might not deliver (especially if the experience was, as you described it, dangerous and scary)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I must disagree with you.

First of all, if you know anything about driving in snow, you really should (as someone suggested)start in 2nd. Yes, the XT can start in second on an incline - there's that much torque.

My car is definitely NOT dangerous, and, as a matter of fact, I defy you to find a safer wagon in its' class.

I'm sorry if I sound vehement, but I have had nothing but good experiences from my OBXT.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: I tried the XT last night in deep wet snow

FastSly said:

Don't base your opinion on an XT equipped with the awful RE-92s!!!

Also, the auto is definitely easier to lunch from an incline. The manual takes some getting used to. But dangerous????
Not interested in an auto. My Ram truck with BFG's handled the same terrain with no slippage, and it has a 6 speed manual with a 6.5 1st gear ratio and 555lbs of tourque.

Perhaps better tires are the key, but the dealer won't swop them out even if he looses the sale. I already returned the car, even though the dealer is trying to convince me to change my mind.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
juneof44 said:
I must disagree with you.

First of all, if you know anything about driving in snow, you really should (as someone suggested)start in 2nd. Yes, the XT can start in second on an incline - there's that much torque.

My car is definitely NOT dangerous, and, as a matter of fact, I defy you to find a safer wagon in its' class.

I'm sorry if I sound vehement, but I have had nothing but good experiences from my OBXT.
Your in California, so how could you relate to North East weather? I live in the Pocono mtns of PA, where the snow is plentiful and roads are rarely fully plowed.

·
OBXT Moderator, ,
2,417 Posts
Ron717 said:

Your in California, so how could you relate to North East weather? I live in the Pocono mtns of PA, where the snow is plentiful and roads are rarely fully plowed.
Like I said, sounds like the XT is not your cup of tea. Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Re: Re: Re: I tried the XT last night in deep wet snow

Ron717 said:

Not interested in an auto. My Ram truck with BFG's handled the same terrain with no slippage, and it has a 6 speed manual with a 6.5 1st gear ratio and 555lbs of tourque.

Perhaps better tires are the key, but the dealer won't swop them out even if he looses the sale. I already returned the car, even though the dealer is trying to convince me to change my mind.
Well, if you need/want a truck and are OK with driving one everyday, then by all means, stick with the truck! The OB is most definitely not a truck. And yes the OBs clutch is difficult to launch smoothly on an incline until you get used to it.

However, I can tell you that I drive on a 5.4 Km long,very hilly and twisty dirt road that is covered with ice and packed snow all winter and my OBXT, equipped with the right tires, is awesome. My car is rock steady and goes up the big hill with no wheel spin at all. I even pulled a couple of big SUVs including a brand new 4Runner V8 out of the ditch. My OBXT also gives me a very smooth and comfortable ride on our rough road. In comparison all the pickups and SUVs I've driven on that road were bone jarring. The OBXT also handles like a car, not like a truck. Personally I would never want to drive a truck everyday, especially not on the highway.

But the RE-92s are crappy all season tires that do not work well on snow or rain, and would be totally useless in mud. They are not designed to drive in any significant amount of snow.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
Ron, if you like the car but are questionable on the tires, Subaru will put new tires on that specific car and give you a credit I believe. That car is awesome and it's too bad that Subaru has to have a marriage with the Bridgestone RE-92's from the factory. You and all of us deserve a better tire from the factory.

If you have already made up your mind on the negative of your test drive then so be it. But all of us can assure you that Subaru is very, very competent in adverse conditions.

Brian

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bheinz57 said:
Ron, if you like the car but are questionable on the tires, Subaru will put new tires on that specific car and give you a credit I believe. That car is awesome and it's too bad that Subaru has to have a marriage with the Bridgestone RE-92's from the factory. You and all of us deserve a better tire from the factory.

If you have already made up your mind on the negative of your test drive then so be it. But all of us can assure you that Subaru is very, very competent in adverse conditions.

Brian
The dealer is saying that they can't change the tires at their expense. Yes I like the car, but am not prepared to dish out $1000 for 5 new V rated tires.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Ron717 said:

The dealer is saying that they can't change the tires at their expense. Yes I like the car, but am not prepared to dish out $1000 for 5 new V rated tires.
Sounds like you're dealing with a crappy dealer.
Are there any others in your area?
Perhaps give SOA a quick call and see what their official stance on tire-exchanges is: 1-800-SUBARU3. They've always been very helpful to me.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OneOBS said:
You can buy a **** good set of tires mounted and balanced for around $500. Why the $1000 quote? Replacing the wheels certainly isn't necessary.
A set of Michelin, Toyo, or Conti's (5) with spare and V rated go for between $175 & 250 per tire plus mounting.

This Red XT is the only one avail w/standard in the North East currently. Dealer got it as a trade for me, but I'm not taking it unless he assures snow traction--better tires.

Even tire rack's review show the RE92 as terrible.

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Ron717 said:
...This Red XT is the only one avail w/standard in the North East currently....
I would doubt the truth of that statement, possibly a lazy dealer that'll say anything to get you to buy asap. "The North East" is a very broad statement. He might mean "northern, PA."

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
OneOBS said:
I'm not sure why this is such a big deal. 90% of new cars are sold with fair - at best - tires. Years ago, Smokey Yunick (race car mechanic) was quoted as saying that one of the first things you should do to any new car is put some decent tires on it. I accepted the fact long ago and replace the tires on almost every new car I buy. I don't ask the dealer to give me credit it for them either. I buy the vehicle as it was produced and move on. if the dealer will give you credit for the take-offs, that's great, but I don't think it should be expected. The dealer is not in the tire business and really has no use for an extra set of tires.
I agree, and I do the same thing, immediately put better tires on the car.

However, Subaru has built a high-performance all-weather machine and they are marketing it as such. To have such a machine, with the related expectations the customers have, and to equip it with such crappy tires, borders on irresponsible in my book.

Subaru should be ashamed of themselves and this shows me they are not truly safety-conscious. If they were truly safety-conscious, and not only crash-rating conscious, they would put better tires on this car.

Note that the RE-92 is not a cheap tire. There are plenty of cheaper and better UHP A/S tires on the market. Pirelli, Toyo, Falken, Avon, Kuhmo, to name a few.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
FMGreen said:

I would doubt the truth of that statement, possibly a lazy dealer that'll say anything to get you to buy asap. "The North East" is a very broad statement. He might mean "northern, PA."
He did a 5 state search, and there are 6 of them avail w/o limited, and this is the only red. I'm 6'6", so I cannot fit with the sun roof. Most of them avail are limited with sun roof.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Right now The TireRack has Pirelli P Zero M+S on sale for $118 in 235/55/17. Ron, these would be excellent replacements and the RE92's could be sold. This tire is the top rated all season performance tire. Personally, I would love to get them. I have almost 5000 miles on the RE92's. Does anyone have any idea what kind of price I could get for the used tires on e-bay or elsewhere?
I also have a Red non-limited XT - I think I was one of the first in the NE to get this color/combo back in September. In six months of ownership I have only seen one other red XT.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
natethomas said:
Right now The TireRack has Pirelli P Zero M+S on sale for $118 in 235/55/17. Ron, these would be excellent replacements and the RE92's could be sold.
The tire size on the XT is 255/55/17, which I don't see in this size and price.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
About this Discussion
65 Replies
15 Participants
dante
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing