Subaru Outback Forums banner

where does this thread belong: Gen5 or Outback Unpaved?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It was a lot of fun too!

Surprisingly smooth over the surface although the splash/bow wave confused the Eyesight and sensors.

Water must have caught underneath the fender liner and pulled it down and off as I was turning as it was a clean break right off. It's even in the video!

I had it back on in ten minutes. Only broke one clip and the rest pulled off.

The manual states what I did is even mostly OK. It says it's good up to the body of the car.

Look at me, following directions like a boss.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
So what? Eyesight doesn't like the pool?

"I brake for Tsunami" ... does traction control work while paddling?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,195 Posts
moved from gen5 to "unpaved" section.....

I guess it would have sucked if you hit a section of the creek that was scoured and got just a little deeper. like where a extra little brook goes in.

if you are going to put that fender liner back on.
@Zedhead linked this yesterday. match the OEM part # to their aftermarkets and read the pack size.

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/

·
Registered
211 Posts
Haha. Was about ask if your ripped your wheel well liner, then halfway through...

That happens EVERY TIME I cross water. I might find some metal fasteners and just screw it into place.

Also nice work getting Kojima

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
Surprisingly smooth over the surface although the splash/bow wave confused the Eyesight and sensors.
Could be the absence of road markers or other vehicles that confused the Eyesight. Don't drive over the creeks much, but mine shuts off in the dark on country roads that have no road markers.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts
video ideas:

pontoons:
Stream Crossings ? WW2 Jeeps

maybe if you wrapped the outback in a tarp. (in the video below I don't know why they left the LOUD artificial movie projector sound on )

somewhere I saw one with a pair of 50 gallon steel drums roped to the front and rear bumpers, and then the tarp put over the whole thing.
(to get a little more float when the tarp comes off.)

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
moved from gen5 to "unpaved" section.....

I guess it would have sucked if you hit a section of the creek that was scoured and got just a little deeper. like where a extra little brook goes in.

if you are going to put that fender liner back on.
@Zedhead linked this yesterday. match the OEM part # to their aftermarkets and read the pack size.

https://www.clipsandfasteners.com/
Moved back. Gen 5 specific with Eyesight/sensors. 0:)

I actually walked the creek before we drove it to make sure there wasn't going to be any surprises. Was surprisingly clean and warm that day although the 'tunnel' shot with the drone was colder with all the shadow.

So what? Eyesight doesn't like the pool?

"I brake for Tsunami" ... does traction control work while paddling?
Traction control I assume works fine. I got a bunch of leaves in my wheel and brakes.

video ideas:

pontoons:
Stream Crossings ? WW2 Jeeps

maybe if you wrapped the outback in a tarp. (in the video below I don't know why they left the LOUD artificial movie projector sound on )

somewhere I saw one with a pair of 50 gallon steel drums roped to the front and rear bumpers, and then the tarp put over the whole thing.
Lol this sounds like top gear type shenanigans. I'm in.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts
Moved back. Gen 5 specific with Eyesight/sensors. 0:)

I don't see anything gen5 specific,

2013-14 had eyesight available.

and I seen video of gen2 outbacks on here working creeks with deeper water then that.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

and I seen video of gen2 outbacks on here working creeks with deeper water then that.
Did you see the one of the Australian Forester where he simply floated across the river?

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts

I appreciate Brucey putting it back here. Otherwise, I would never see it other than a lucky google / youtube search.

It felt very Gen5 to me since I have a Gen5 OB and always wonder how a few certain streams would accept my Gen5 OB. This thread/video helps me know I'll need to go on days where I can jump out and grab the wheel liner before it's taken downstream.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts
Did you see the one of the Australian Forester where he simply floated across the river?

I do remember that floating forester. that one needs a snorkel, or just waiting another day when the water was not so high.

could have ended with the car on its side and the occupant's banged head under water.

_________

I wonder if the particular chemical mix in your WV creek is going to prematurely corrode, or oddly preserve your car vs. the rest of the local 2015 subarus.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do remember that floating forester. that one needs a snorkel, or just waiting another day when the water was not so high.

could have ended with the car on its side and the occupant's banged head under water.

_________

I wonder if the particular chemical mix in your WV creek is going to prematurely corrode, or oddly preserve your car vs. the rest of the local 2015 subarus.
That's actually a PA creek so it probably has like 20% less chemicals than one in WV.

I think it would actually clean it based on every Subaru older than 5 years being a rust bucket here. That salt is real ): I try to keep the undercarriage cleaned weekly in winter. Couple quarters at the sprayer is all it takes.

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
That's actually a PA creek so it probably has like 20% less chemicals than one in WV.
You think...but not necessarily.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited Carbide Grey 2.5L w/ES
57 Posts
Thanks Brucey, that was cool.Your videos are very entertaining and informative.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring Dark Blue Pearl 3.6r
1,655 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoMW2MkcjsQ

It was a lot of fun too!

Water must have caught underneath the fender liner and pulled it down and off as I was turning as it was a clean break right off. It's even in the video!

I had it back on in ten minutes. Only broke one clip and the rest pulled off.

The manual states what I did is even mostly OK. It says it's good up to the body of the car.

Look at me, following directions like a boss.
Driving through water like that is usually not a good idea because water can be sucked into the engine through the cold air intake and hydro locking the engine. Have you done something to prevent such an occurrence.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 OB 3.6R (former)
2,779 Posts
I always have an opinion: Stevens Canyon trail in Utah absolutely rocks.

I have not done the whole trail, actually, but I drove the water section, where one drives up/downstream for a while, which is great. If you hit a rock or do something crazy, however, it may not be so great.

Mr. Offroad? I wish!

Reactions: Brucey

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,195 Posts
I always have an opinion: Stevens Canyon trail in Utah absolutely rocks.

I have not done the whole trail, actually, but I drove the water section, where one drives up/downstream for a while, which is great. If you hit a rock or do something crazy, however, it may not be so great.

Mr. Offroad? I wish!
VOTE VOTE VOTE,

@Brucey is a tool that keeps dragging this present thread to the wrong section.
decrying Outback Unpaved as being a "ghost town". AND wants his own Gen5 threads to be forgotten in a matter of hours.

however here is such a Outback Unpaved based video thread....staring a Zona 2016... 46 days old, and still easy to find as its not hiding in the Gen5 section.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/96-outback-unpaved/449521-stock-2016-offroading-az-pics-video.html

·
Master Caster
16,119 Posts
I am not sure I agree with the party label/descriptions.

Whatever happened to *ss and elephant. Even if you happen to be an *ss.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts