Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
01 LL Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Figured I would ask the well educated folks here. I have decided a remote start would be a highly appreciated Christmas gift for my fiance.

Is there a easy to install remote start for our 2nd gen cars? Hers is a 2001.
I don't need a ton of features. I don't need an alarm. Would like to just be able to use the remote she currently has for lock / unlock.

Do these "sub2 T harness" work:
http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/SUB2-T-harness-Subaru-Remote-Wiring/3367659/product.html

What do you all say?

·
Registered
2001 Subaru LMT Sedan
28 Posts
hey,
Excellent gift idea! I purchsed one for my wife back in 2010 and installed it on her 2004 Ford escape. I also installed another one on 2004 Audi S4 and that was a PITA due to imobilizer system built in the car.

Luckily you have a 2001 subaru, so it does not have a sophisticated key/cluster/ECU technology built in.

I would look at Audiovox Prestige remote start systems, they work well and are pretty basic and cheap.
Most of the wires that you will need will be at the ignition cylinder. Make sure you run both of your Positive 12V constants from the Battery and not anywhere else, as it won't be enough to energize the relays that come with it.

The RPM wire is crucial as it's used for sensing tach rate, and thereby enabling the remote start. You can use any of the common fuel injector wires for it.

You'll need a parking light wire, which should also at the steering wheel.

If you do a little more research on 2001 subaru outback wiring you can get a good plan of action for the remote start, and can knock it out in one day!

Good luck!

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
Myself?
I would never have one of those installed.
I don't think it is a good idea to be cutting into and splicing into Factory, OEM harness wiring where any improper connection could result in a FAIL TO START situation! If it does cause a FTS, who knows when and who knows how many miles down the road?

No doubt, it would happen when you are just getting ready to leave for the once-in-a-lifetime four-week vacation and must be at the airport (or ship's dock) by such-and-such a time and now the car won't start!

Unless the remote starter is COMPLETELY Subaru and unless it is installed in strict accordance with factory shop manual specifications, that remote starter DEFINITELY would not be sold to me or my wife, or to my mechanic, for that matter!

I hope it gets installed without a glitch and I hope you never ever have any problems as a result of this thing!

I live where it gets as cold as 50 below zero (F), which is the coldest I have ever seen it here in Vermont's Northeast kingdom. It's not too difficult to throw some clothes on and run out and start the car. It kind of wakes me up.

·
Registered
01 LL Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Myself?
I would never have one of those installed.
I don't think it is a good idea to be cutting into and splicing into Factory, OEM harness wiring where any improper connection could result in a FAIL TO START situation! If it does cause a FTS, who knows when and who knows how many miles down the road?

No doubt, it would happen when you are just getting ready to leave for the once-in-a-lifetime four-week vacation and must be at the airport (or ship's dock) by such-and-such a time and now the car won't start!

Unless the remote starter is COMPLETELY Subaru and unless it is installed in strict accordance with factory shop manual specifications, that remote starter DEFINITELY would not be sold to me or my wife, or to my mechanic, for that matter!

I hope it gets installed without a glitch and I hope you never ever have any problems as a result of this thing!

I live where it gets as cold as 50 below zero (F), which is the coldest I have ever seen it here in Vermont's Northeast kingdom. It's not too difficult to throw some clothes on and run out and start the car. It kind of wakes me up.
He He
Well I know the plane will not leave without me. I know this because I have the keys to the plane in my right front pants pocket and I am the pilot. Kind of spoiled in that regard. Oh, and my carry on policy...it's very liberal. No shoe removal here. Firearm? no problem. Sorry, just couldn't resist that one.
Seriously, I appreciate the thought. I have read about some who have had trouble with these devices. Would not want that of course but she has hinted it would be nice to have one of these. Perhaps if we get burned once we will feel differently. To each his own. I guess I am just not as cautious as you appear.
One local shop in my area sells and installs Avital remote starters. Does anyone have any experience with those?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,664 Posts
If I had as important an event to drive to as that, I'd call a cab or rent a car instead of taking a 12-year-old one.

·
Registered
02 Outback H4 auto..."Ruby"
9 Posts
Avital is a good brand, formerly clifford. Make sure whoever installs it solders all connections, most problems arise from bad connections. If you have it installed at a shop, find one with MECP certified techs, ask to see there certs and check the dates.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are only a few manufacturers of modern Remote Start systems.
The rest have all been bought and merged.

Directed Electronics is most likely the largest of them.
They own Viper, Avital, Clifford, Ungo, Sidewinder, AutoStart, Hornet, and several others. They are all pretty much the same, except the logos and colors on the remotes.

Audiovox is next major manufacturer. They make Audiovox, Prestige, Code Alarm, Pursuit, and maybe a few others.

Crimestopper is a fairly large supplier. Their software and hardware is good, but sometimes the remotes don't seem to hold up.

I think JBS, bulldog, carbine ect are very similar, but are at the lower end of spektrum. My opinion only, others may love them.

As far as installing in a 2nd Gen OB, thats about one of the most straight forward installations around, no transponder, everything is prety easy to find and test. Check www.the12volt.com for free databases and other helpful tips.

I've been installing mobile electronics, mostly full time, for nearly 20yrs. Very rarely do these systems interfere with drivability if they fail. Often they get blamed for other things that fail, or blown fuses. I'm not saying they are 100% perfect. They are electronics, and can fail, but usually it is improper operation or a faulty connection.

If you need some hardware, I have most of the above brands availabe. Mostly I use Code Alarm, but not always.

Also, Subarus OEM sytem is supplied by CodeAlarm, as is (was anyway) Ford and Chryslers. GMs used to be from Directed, but now it is built into the ECU / BCM.

Ryan

My airport has a very similar policy as Foranes.

·
Registered
01 LL Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are only a few manufacturers of modern Remote Start systems.
The rest have all been bought and merged.

Directed Electronics is most likely the largest of them.
They own Viper, Avital, Clifford, Ungo, Sidewinder, AutoStart, Hornet, and several others. They are all pretty much the same, except the logos and colors on the remotes.

Audiovox is next major manufacturer. They make Audiovox, Prestige, Code Alarm, Pursuit, and maybe a few others.

Crimestopper is a fairly large supplier. Their software and hardware is good, but sometimes the remotes don't seem to hold up.

I think JBS, bulldog, carbine ect are very similar, but are at the lower end of spektrum. My opinion only, others may love them.

As far as installing in a 2nd Gen OB, thats about one of the most straight forward installations around, no transponder, everything is prety easy to find and test. Check www.the12volt.com for free databases and other helpful tips.

I've been installing mobile electronics, mostly full time, for nearly 20yrs. Very rarely do these systems interfere with drivability if they fail. Often they get blamed for other things that fail, or blown fuses. I'm not saying they are 100% perfect. They are electronics, and can fail, but usually it is improper operation or a faulty connection.

If you need some hardware, I have most of the above brands availabe. Mostly I use Code Alarm, but not always.

Also, Subarus OEM sytem is supplied by CodeAlarm, as is (was anyway) Ford and Chryslers. GMs used to be from Directed, but now it is built into the ECU / BCM.

Ryan

My airport has a very similar policy as Foranes.
Thanks for the post.

That makes you and Slobo7x advocates for the Audiovox company's products. I have looked at the wiring diagrams for a couple other manufacturers and have not convinced myself I am up to the task. I have wired in stereos, fog lights, additional 12 volt power adapters, etc, even a radio in my airplane, and while my technique has improved I still need to keep my day job if you follow...

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
Yes, I agree, I am cautious, sometimes so much so that - when push comes to shove - what I want sometimes never transpires to completion, or even starting <sic>, for that matter!:confused:

·
Registered
02 Outback H4 auto..."Ruby"
9 Posts
I just purchased an autopage rs370 remote start for one of my other vehicles, have had good luck with them in the past.. will update once I install it. They are a little tricky on install but I am a MECP certified installer so it should only take me 3 hours.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,285 Posts
I remove on average about 5 aftermarket alarm and remote start system a year due to conflicts with the factory anti theft systems causing no starts and tow in. As in tow truck.

I haven't removed any from Subarus because they aren't there.

It may be a good idea to speak with your local Subaru Service about available options or known conflicts. The cars do have immobilizers. I couldn't find any tech bulletins, but that doesn't mean someone hasn't run into it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Gen 2 Outbacks do not have immobilizers.
I have seen an occasional problem with immobilzer interface hardware / software. Most of the newer immobilzer systems (idatalink and Fortin) software is very stable and if properly installed works great. Some of the early stuff was glitchy, and sometimes would cause problems if the battery went dead ect.
Improper installation causes more problems than just about anything, and not just with mobile electronics.

Ryan

·
Premium Member
16,285 Posts
My VDC has a starter lockout when the system is armed. Properly working, the starter will not engage with a key if the vehicle is entered without first disarming the alarm system.

·
Registered
01 LL Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My VDC has a starter lockout when the system is armed. Properly working, the starter will not engage with a key if the vehicle is entered without first disarming the alarm system.
Now this is interesting. Yours is a 2001 vdc correct? Hers is also a 2001 vdc. I had no idea it had any security system.

·
Premium Member
16,285 Posts
Factory installed systems not only have the door lock and alarm but will also have some kind of anti-theft system incorporating a starter or fuel or both lockout. Some use the key information which is nothing more than a resistor inside the key, some a transponder built into the key, Honda - keys with the fob built as part of the key, that communicates wirelessly. My VDC system when active, kills the starter circuit and will not start if the car is entered without first disarming it. Even with a proper key.

Get your hands on an owner's manual. May be one online somewhere so you know all the functions of the alarm system and again, check with Subaru to make sure what ever system you want to install is compatible.

The interupts built into some aftermarket systems will also interupt or corrupt the factory system. I get Fords with aftermarket systems where the aftermarket system shorted and fried the BCM or PCM security circuits.

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
2nd gen Subarus do NOT have engine immobilizers. . . starter disable only. And unhooking the security module (beside the radio) effectively disables it. . . .cars without the system still have the connector. It's mostly a 'content theft deterrent' system, meaning if you lock the car and then unlock it without using a key or remote, it'll make some noise and disable the starter. It's passive and you probably wouldn't notice it unless you did something like lock it with the window down and then reach through and unlock it manually and open the door.

DEI makes some pretty top shelf stuff and I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my own car (or friend/family) without worry they'd ever be stranded from it. And I have. . .on several occasions.

First and foremost, the install is as important if not moreso than the product. Make good connections, route wires in an intelligent manner (always being considerate of anyone else that might have to work around said wires), and test everything before interfacing it with the unit. . . .any good installer will do that. If they like Scotchlocks and blindly follow someone's wiring guide I'd pass.

Subaru won't know or care what alarm/remote start is compatible with your car. They'll view it like Cardoc. . . something that'll be a pain in the ass for them to work on down the road. These cars are about as basic as they come in regards to how they're put together electrically. . . no body control modules, no RFID immobilizer that needs programming. . . just switches, wires, relays, and a computer or two. Nothing that would be out of place in a 1980's car.

If you hire someone to install it, do not leave their shop without knowing where the unit is, where the status LED/program/override button is, where it's interfaced with the starter circuit (usually right under the steering column at the ignition switch), and most importantly, how to override it in the event it fails or you lose/break the remote.

Reactions: mrbrefast

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,664 Posts
2nd gen Subarus do NOT have engine immobilizers. . . starter disable only. And unhooking the security module (beside the radio) effectively disables it. . . .cars without the system still have the connector. It's mostly a 'content theft deterrent' system, meaning if you lock the car and then unlock it without using a key or remote, it'll make some noise and disable the starter. It's passive and you probably wouldn't notice it unless you did something like lock it with the window down and then reach through and unlock it manually and open the door.

DEI makes some pretty top shelf stuff and I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my own car (or friend/family) without worry they'd ever be stranded from it. And I have. . .on several occasions.

First and foremost, the install is as important if not moreso than the product. Make good connections, route wires in an intelligent manner (always being considerate of anyone else that might have to work around said wires), and test everything before interfacing it with the unit. . . .any good installer will do that. If they like Scotchlocks and blindly follow someone's wiring guide I'd pass.

Subaru won't know or care what alarm/remote start is compatible with your car. They'll view it like Cardoc. . . something that'll be a pain in the ass for them to work on down the road. These cars are about as basic as they come in regards to how they're put together electrically. . . no body control modules, no RFID immobilizer that needs programming. . . just switches, wires, relays, and a computer or two. Nothing that would be out of place in a 1980's car.

If you hire someone to install it, do not leave their shop without knowing where the unit is, where the status LED/program/override button is, where it's interfaced with the starter circuit (usually right under the steering column at the ignition switch), and most importantly, how to override it in the event it fails or you lose/break the remote.

wow, good info/advice!

·
Premium Member
16,285 Posts
I may have not made it clear enough, and I apologize. I know how the system operates. If someone enters the vehicle without disarming the car first, it won't engage the starter. Not everyone knows how to get to the security module, nor knows it can be bypassed and started via a relay jumper. Point is, I have seen a lot of screwball wiring on aftermarket alarms and although they may have worked without fault for years, like any other electronic part, when it fails it tends to effect the systems it was married to.

Hopefully, if it is determined to have the remote start installed, be sure its covered completely if due to a fault of the module or the installer and all damages are covered. Including damage to OE electronics. All it takes is a short or a spike in current to create an issue.

I am not against add on alarm/start systems. I have one on my Chevy that has worked great for 12 years. They aren't a pain either. It generally takes me 10 minutes to get to the modules, disconnect the alarm and reconnect original wiring. Then the car either starts or doesn't. If it doesn't, its a matter of pin testing the ignition to find the problem. And a couple times its been a PCM or BCM circuit fault requiring replacement.

I have also had many issues with the factory systems. Mostly Chevy and Honda transponder failures.

Any thing is possible. Just do the research. And if someone really wants to steal a car, they have it regardless of what is installed in the car. Quick "hook" is the fastest. Gone in 10 seconds or less.

·
Registered
01 LL Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had an Avital system put in. Paid the local shop with experience to do it; money well spent as I see it.
She was giddy with excitement when she found out.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
861 Posts
I had a Pro-Start remote starter installed recently, IMO it was money well spent as well. Shop showed me how to use it, disable it and the location of the over-ride button which they put on molding in the drivers foot well. :29:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts