Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am looking to remove the "Oh-$h!t" handle on the front drivers seat as I am apparently too tall, and I keep hitting my head on it.

To be perfectly honest, I am surprised there is one at all in this location, my 96 OBW didn't have one there..

Anyways, I am looking to find the plastic covers to fill in the holes in the headliner, but I am not really sure what they are called, or where to look. Does anyone have some insights into at least what I should be googling?

·
Registered
306 Posts
It looks like all of the Gen2 cars have the handle there. I don't see any parts that substitute as a cap over the openings for the 'Assist Rail'.

(clicking upon the picture above will take you to the site I sourced this information from)

·
Registered
16,281 Posts
Referring to the "assist rail" ("Detail D" in http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_9/body_equipment_interior/room_inner_parts/illustration_2/)?

There's items 10 and 11 that are caps (circled 2 and circled 3 in Detail D) that appear to be covers, but I wonder if they work only with the installed "assist rail". Does you sedan have the handles at all four doors; if not, are there covers there?

Correction: proper link: http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_9/body_equipment_interior/room_inner_parts/illustration_2/

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
I am looking to find the plastic covers to fill in the holes ...
'Bout a year ago, I found a good selection of plastic covers/plugs
in either Home Depot or Lowe's (don't remember which).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Plain OM - your link does not work (truncated by the forum software). What I did see is that it references the B13 section (Gen3 '05-09). I believe the original request is for Gen2 parts ('00-04).

·
Registered
16,281 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, this is for a Gen2, MY04.

You know, I cant honestly answer if all 4 doors have it, but I believe it does.. I will have to look tomorrow when I am back home.

I did find the B12 version of that document, which is here and it does not list one either :/

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, all 4 doors have this "Assist Rail".

Well, here is a better question.. is there any way to get this seat to go any lower? I am not really *THAT* tall, I am just about 6 foot, yet my hair (which is quite short) still brushes against the headliner. I have put the seat as far down as I can with the 4-way electric adjustment.

My 96 Legacy Outback all the way up still gives me plenty of headroom but it does not have a sunroof. My 98 forester also had plenty of room, again all the way up.

I can't imagine that this is the only way it would work, as there are plenty of people taller than me out there..

·
Registered
16,281 Posts
The headliner is a few inches lower when there's a sunroof. One of the areas I looked at carefully when I bought my 07. I wanted the seat as high as it could be and was aware of the lowered headliner with the sunroof. I was also looking at the Forester -- the seats were higher (that is, from the top of the seat cushion down to the floor) and there still was more headroom even with the moonroof; in that case, because the roof itself was higher.

I doubt there's much that can be done with the existing seat, but perhaps one from a similar model that doesn't have the power system -- the range of adjustment down might be greater as there's no motors involved. (If there's one on a dealer lot you could try it.)

Raising some interesting questions . . . .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing