Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This incident happened about 5 weeks ago, but I was just driving along when a branch, a big branch, fell onto the hood. It took out the hood, windshield, and driver-side mirror.

The road in question is narrow and windy... fortunately, I was able to drive down the hill and pull over into a park. Then the waiting 90 minutes for a tow began...

The pictures are here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/106386350930626759085/albums/5780426335275158497

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Wow glad your OK!

Last year we had a Oak fall and crush a local well liked business man while he was driving to work. When it comes to falling objects you just never know when your ticket has been punched.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Glad you are fine! It must have been quite a scare!! Can I assume the car is totaled since the A pillar seems to be compromised?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
That is amazing to me, as being from Europe that type of damage would have not been repaired there, since it is a major structural part of the car..I really hope it was repaired well so the door window seals up. I have some friends in Holland with a repair shop so I have seen what they can/can't fix...

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The window seals up fine. I've driving it at speed and in the rain. No leakage (wind or water. They also fixed the sun roof drainage tube which was also damaged.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Every time you post, I can't help but wonder "What happened to that poor OB now?!"

This is the same vehicle that had bird issues is it not?

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, that is the same OB which encountered a wild turkey at 1500 miles or so....

For the record, this is the fourth hood on this car.

original - turkey
#2 - falling tree
#3 - falling branch
#4 - now installed

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Yes, that is the same OB which encountered a wild turkey at 1500 miles or so....

For the record, this is the fourth hood on this car.

original - turkey
#2 - falling tree
#3 - falling branch
#4 - now installed
With that record I would probably start wearing a full race helmet and fire suit clearly someone is out to get you.

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
Egad.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
With that record I would probably start wearing a full race helmet and fire suit clearly someone is out to get you.
I have been fortunate. The tree fell when the car was parked an unoccupied.

I suspect the tree and the branch were the results of the turkey friends wanting revenge.

And then there was the woman who turned left in front of me, taking out the left front suspension and both left doors.....

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After this last incident, I was very tempted to just sell the **** thing. But, who would buy it? ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,109 Posts
If it wasn't a MT (my left knee complains too much already) I'd be all over it. Also if I wasn't in a perpetual broke state (see also: student).

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I would have kept driving, not waiting 90 min for a tow.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
In some states it's illegal to drive with a shattered windshield.
It is illegal in all states. But driving with a busted windshield that just happened while driving to a body shop is exigent circumstances.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It is illegal in all states. But driving with a busted windshield that just happened while driving to a body shop is exigent circumstances.
And extenuating circumstances, too, so you're covered either way. ;)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
First, let me say I'm glad you're alright..

Second..... I'd be getting rid of that car! Someone or something put a hex on it!

Again, I'm glad you're alright..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
12 Participants
Darkanion
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing