Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After adding refrigerant last night my wife has called and said that the air is not cold at all and It really hot here. Is there anything really bad I could have messed up? Followed instructions and now it doesn't work. Is there a chance that liquid refrigeration got in the line and would that mess it up it's a 2011 outback 2.5

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6 R Touring
155 Posts
You need to charge gas (not liquid) into the low-side (suction line / cold line).

Theoretically, you should never have to recharge - I understand that a hose connection may have a minuscule leak over time.

Best to take it to a shop - find out if the A/C clutch is engaged, etc. This is my general knowledge - I have no Subaru A/C experience.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,814 Posts
the system may very well be protecting itself if over or underfilled.

a/c DIY can go right, or very wrong.

but do proceed carefully, many people are sold compressors when all they need may be an o-ring or 2, a relay or fuse, etc.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,345 Posts
Was it working at all before adding refrigerant? I'm guessing there must have been a reason to think it needed refrigerant. It could be there was something else wrong and now the system is way overfilled. The DIY kits often have that little gauge that gives you a vague idea of the system pressure but the only way to really see what is going on is to have both a high and low pressure gauge hooked up while running the AC.

It also could be as simple as the system is empty again today if there is enough of a leak.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,147 Posts
One of our tenured members @cardoc has always said the system needs the correct balance. I blew the evaporators on a(2) '90s Chevy's adding coolant before I knew better.

I have (2) Gen3 OBs with very weak A/C's. I haven't added a coolant charge ever. I need to afford the proper balanced charge in both. Otherwise , it's wasted $. I deal with it, until I can deal with it properly.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
If you had filled it with a canister that lists that it includes leak detector then this might be a time to check the hoses and compressor with a black-light. If you have a glowing green area that is where the leak is.

Carefully... Start the car and put the AC on MAX and look at the front of the pulley on the air conditioning compressor. The center should be spinning if the electrical clutch is working. Then feel the two metal lines coming off of the compressor one should be hot, the other cold.. That will also tell you if the pump has any refrigerant in it and that the compressor is not seized up.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/...um_2.5L_4_Cyl./air_conditioner/recharge_freon

Reactions: FLWhite*17

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,755 Posts
7 year old car, regardless of the manufacturer, is bound to have developed leaks with expansion and contraction. The number 1 leak is the service port valve stem. Next is the seals at the joints at the compressor and/or condenser; also the compression joints in the line/hose. If these are good and the system is properly charged but not functioning right or at all, then you look at compressor engagement, electrical connection at the relay, function of the pressure switches, mode door in the cabin and your cabin air filter condition. This is with any vehicle. Steps starting with the most likely first and work your way up.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Reminder: No clutch on 2010+ Outback air conditioners. The compressor always runs, but uses a variable displacement system capable of dropping all the way to zero load/compression.

So no clutch or relay to check. The rest applies: find the leaks, fix 'em, and charge it up the right way with a manifold and temp compensation chart.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
Reminder: No clutch on 2010+ Outback air conditioners. The compressor always runs, but uses a variable displacement system capable of dropping all the way to zero load/compression.
Just recently found out about the variable displacement compressors, was wondering just when Subaru starting using them. Would you know when they started using the HFO-1234yf refrigerant?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,368 Posts
Just recently found out about the variable displacement compressors, was wondering just when Subaru starting using them. Would you know when they started using the HFO-1234yf refrigerant?
I don't know offhand. I know some Subarus got it for the 2017 model year but I don't know which ones.

I'm encouraged somewhat by the lack of reports of fires on HFO-1234yf-equipped vehicles. The reports from early testing were quite bad- front end collisions were frequently resulting in underhood fires and in some cases chemical corrosion damage from escaped refrigerant as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts