Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'll start with my list -
a). A driver's side mirror with more range of travel so I can set up my mirror properly to minimize my blind spot on the driver's side of the car. Passenger mirror is fine.

b). A rear gate close switch replacement, that replicates the close switch (smaller in size), but also holds a second switch for "Tent" mode, so one doesn't have to manually manipulate the lock mechanism to avoid running the battery down when tenting or camping with the rear gate up.

c). A lockable center-console like in my wife's Jeep Wrangler Sport. Sometimes, it's nice to keep things away from the kids or slow down other non-family thieves. :LOL:

d). A firmware upgrade to the Head Unit that understands more voice commands when one presses the button (examples "Turn Start Stop Off/On", "Turn Front/Rear Defrost On/Off", "Turn Head Unit Backlight On/Off", "Mute/Unmute Audio", "What is Oil/Coolant/Transmission/Outside Temp", "What is Battery/Charging Voltage", "What is Tire Pressure", "Disable/Enable Eyesight"

e). A way with Android Auto running, to have verbal utterances (following press of the voice button) processed by the Head Unit, and not the Google Assistant (have to check this) - a really short press may work like in Apple Car Play. Edit - just tested this - a short press doesn't work! Whose at fault? Subaru or Google?

f). A firmware upgrade to the Head Unit to display more of the parameters on CANBUS so one doesn't need to use a BT OBDII dongle, Torque Pro, and ActiveOBD plug-in to see. Allow customization so the parameters of most interest can be picked from a complete list of what's available and have that list retained.

g). A light on the hood to illuminate the engine compartment.

h). An oil level transmitter like that which was in my Audi A4 to see on the HU, the oil level between L and H.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll start with my list -
a). A driver's side mirror with more range of travel so I can set up my mirror properly to minimize my blind spot on the driver's side of the car. Passenger mirror is fine.
b). A rear gate close switch replacement, that replicates the close switch (smaller in size), but also holds a second switch for "Tent" mode, so one doesn't have to manually manipulate the lock mechanism to avoid running the battery down when tenting or camping with the rear gate up.
c). A lockable center-console like in my wife's Jeep Wrangler Sport. Sometimes, it's nice to keep things away from the kids or slow down other non-family thieves.
d). A firmware upgrade to the Head Unit that understands more voice commands when one presses the button (examples:) "Turn Start Stop Off/On", "Turn Front/Rear Defrost On/Off", "Turn Head Unit Backlight On/Off", "Mute/Unmute Audio", "What is Oil/Coolant/Transmission/Outside Temp", "What is Battery/Charging Voltage", "What is Tire Pressure", "Disable/Enable Eyesight"
e). A way with Android Auto running, to have verbal utterances (following press of the voice button) processed by the Head Unit, and not the Google Assistant (have to check this) - a really short press may work like in Apple Car Play.
f). A firmware upgrade to the Head Unit to display more of the parameters on CANBUS so one doesn't need to use a BT OBDII dongle, Torque Pro, and ActiveOBD plug-in to see. Allow customization so the parameters of most interest can be picked from a complete list of what's available and have that list retained.
g). A light on the hood to illuminate the engine compartment.
h). An oil level transmitter like that which was in my Audi A4 to see on the HU, the oil level between L and H.
All cars should have H. Almost 2020 and i have to use a dip stick, what the ****.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
All cars should have H. Almost 2020 and i have to use a dip stick, what the ****.

Gotta get yourself one of fancy German lux cars if you don't want a dip stick.

·
Super Moderator
9,558 Posts
Regarding A) there is a TSB about mirrors being off center from the factory including a fix.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Porche/Audi/VW, Mercedes, BMW, yep. The technology isn't too tough to implement though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Porche/Audi/VW, Mercedes, BMW, yep. The technology isn't too tough to implement though.
A sensor feeding data to a computer chip already in the car, displayed on the massive HU. Not sending men to the moon. BTW my issue is not the physical part of checking, it is trying to read the stick in the dim light of the garage and if you happen to angle the stick incorrectly oil drips over your accurate reading, you then need to repeat the process.

·
Super Moderator
9,558 Posts
Can you provide a specific reference please?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brucey thanks, but that's sort of old news. :mad:
Yes, I presented this to Subaru at a couple of different levels, and I still remain optimistic they will address my concern. We shall see. They are aware of this tech bulletin. Note this was for the Imprezza and it's not an official TSB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts