Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
Neat concept but looking at them I see 2 problems,
1. getting power to them would mean a hole through the roof..
2. looks like changing bulbs on some might be difficult once taped to the roof.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,107 Posts
Put red and blue lights in them. Blink them on and off. Make woo woo siren-like noises out of window. Traffic jams are a thing of the past. Here's what they do in Russia: http://jalopnik.com/ultra-rich-russians-hire-fake-ambulances-to-drive-them-458478316

Personally, I think it would look silly and certainly couldn't be used for on-road travel. It might even be as annoying as those blue halogen lights some folks use in the wrong way. OK, I take it back, the more I look at it the cooler it looks. I have to leave this post now because my wife told me I couldn't buy any more new toys for a while.

Post pics if you go through with it. You might consider painting it to match the roof. That would be even cooler, like it was OEM.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Looks cool.

Would not be legal where I live to use on the the street, so check into that.

"Fogs on the roof" is an oxymoron if I ever heard one though. What is wrong with these vendors calling them Roof Lights?

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks cool.

Would not be legal where I live to use on the the street, so check into that.

"Fogs on the roof" is an oxymoron if I ever heard one though. What is wrong with these vendors calling them Roof Lights?
I was looking for foglights and that's how I found it. So their description works. :)

I'm going to do some measurements and see how it'd fit with the sunroof. I'm guessing it would.

I was considering getting a rear wing and some headlight bezels that would need to be painted, so I might do this at that time. My concern is I just wouldn't want it looking cheesy, but if this were to look good on any car, it would surely be an Outback!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The dimensions were 33x7" in one of those auctions. I just measured the car and it'd be a pretty tight fit. 33" (way wider than I expected that thing to be) is pretty much between the roof rack (the part of the body that comes up to hold it). And the distance between the sunroof and windshield trim is just a hair over 7". It might look pretty neat there and might even seem like a factory piece.

I'm curious to how much flex this thing has. That portion of the roof isn't exactly flat.

·
Registered
2001 VDC Wagon
202 Posts
I'd be interested to see what it looks like on an Outback.

Aiming could prove difficult with it mounted to the roof as you would have no access to the the aiming screws/bulbs as previously mentioned. In some states, you are required to cover any auxiliary lights when on roads.

Hopefully the light output is more of a spot than flood as you'll end up with a lot of light in your face.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm really tempted, one company I looked at offers returns.

It would aim down quite a bit I think. And yeah, I wouldn't think it'd be a good idea to run these on roads.

*roads? Where we're going we don't need roads.... we have Outbacks.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
Most states in the US require that lights which are not primary driving lights or marker lights which people wrongly call Fog lights due to 1980's Euro car marketing BS. Need to be covered at all times while on public roads. Yes they will write tickets for this.

The term Fog light started when the Euro car makers started selling sporty smaller cars here in the US that had extra lights under the bumper. Really they are Rally lights short range flood lights if properly designed light the sides of the road in the first 20ft or so in front of and to the sides of the car. Whats funny is that flood lighting is completely opposite to what you want for driving in fog or heavy rain. The more directed beamed light the less light reflected back at the driver. Flood lights simply generate lots of light being reflected back at the driver further reducing their vision. LOL

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
Have you seen Bluebaru yet?

Dedicated roof lights utilizing power ran through a hole in the roof. Yes, the lights are permanent. I'm planning on adding some 6" or 8" HID lights on the roof to light up the night in the middle of the woods.

And no, I do not use my lights on the street.

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,192 Posts
Formally Subhuman's and now in my care. The wiring runs through the roof via a clamp sealed fitting. No leaks but lots of light. How can I be of help?

·
Registered
2000 Outback Wagon with a 2.5L engine 5spd
49 Posts
Other than looking cool, they would be useless on-road only because most states have laws against having driving lights of any sort that are higher than 18" off the ground unless you were off-road..

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts