Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
Hardest decision making ever is the subject of lighting! I have a cargo basket that I thought about putting lights on. I do a lot of light night fishing and usually have big stand up halogens, but how cool to just have the mounted on the rig?! I also thought about the front bumper light bar / brush guard / nudge bar /whatever. I can't figure out what the "right buy" is. I was thinking for the lights I shouldn't spend tons of money on big brands when I could get perfectly good h3 or 9006 bulbs to go in housings. NOW the question is what is a good housing that has good light dispersion? Google came up short with that search. In the picture above, what lights bar is that? I kinda like it...

dcyberjake

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've recently been thinking about putting a roof rack bar back on and attaching something like this to it.

42" 240W LED Flood Spot Combo Alloy Work Light Lamp Bar 4x4 Driving 4WD SUV Boat | eBay

I'd like to do something like this also.. a friend of mine had a pair of Rigid Industries LED Lighting |Rigid Industries LED Lighting, Leader in Off road LED light bars, truck LED lights, Marine LEDs, and Industrial LEDs square LED spotlights on his fourwheeler. Their light bars are quite spendy, however.. they're basically bombproof from the tests i've seen (involving trying to smash the lenses with hammers and screwdrivers) and they basically turned a pitch black road into daytime. I was quite impressed with the quality.

·
Registered
2010 2.5i Outback, 2015 2.5i Legacy w/Eyesight
589 Posts

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
It seems like there's a bit of conflicting design going on with your car. You are adding all sorts of fancy gizmos to use alternative fuels to try to improve fuel efficiency (as mentioned in this thread http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/61-general-discussions/107569-polished-painted-engine-components-thoughts.html#post1118697), yet also looking at ways of adding weight to the car (such as a lightbar and/or roofrack) that also potentially hamper the aerodynamics. What gives?
A true modder maybe? It's about the project more than anything! And everyone knows if your going to do mods that inflict one aspect of the car, you have to mod the other side of the teeter totter.

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited, Manual Transmission
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
A true modder maybe? It's about the project more than anything! And everyone knows if your going to do mods that inflict one aspect of the car, you have to mod the other side of the teeter totter.
I use to be pretty big into cars and worked in the performance industry for 7 years. I like changing things, but now the goal is functionality. Not power.

I'm looking at ways to add functionality, not ways to add weight. Functionality. Lighting = function.

Nothing I'm doing conflicts. It's not like I've stripped my interior and tried to squeeze every oz off my car. :shrug:

·
Registered
'01 Outback
220 Posts
Looks like it's going to do a few things:

1) lights will work for a while, then intermittently cease working, and eventually fail.

2) be loud at highway speeds

3) kill your fuel mileage

4) leak

Or they may be great, who knows. Not my cup of tea though.

They aren't big enough to worry about weight, but they are big enough, in a bad enough spot, to eat fuel on the interstate. There's your trade-off; light when you're dinking around vs mileage. What do you prefer?

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
Looks like it's going to do a few things:

1) lights will work for a while, then intermittently cease working, and eventually fail.

2) be loud at highway speeds

3) kill your fuel mileage

4) leak

Or they may be great, who knows. Not my cup of tea though.

They aren't big enough to worry about weight, but they are big enough, in a bad enough spot, to eat fuel on the interstate. There's your trade-off; light when you're dinking around vs mileage. What do you prefer?
So true. I guess lots of guys would do it for the look more than anything. I would use them, but not often enough to sacrifice mileage over it. My cargo basket sucks some mileage, but I use it constantly, even more so during the summer, if I were going to mount lights it'd be on the bottom bar of my cargo basket. So it wouldn't FURTHER interfere with aerodynamics. That and I am still liking the light bar idea for in front of the grill, I want one strong enough to put a winch on though. I just got the tow hitch on my ride and I thought about getting a winch that hooks into the receiver. The only down side is it being in the back! Seems having it in the front would be more helpful.

Until then I'll just keep the 20 foot tow strap handy ;)

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
So true. I guess lots of guys would do it for the look more than anything. I would use them, but not often enough to sacrifice mileage over it. My cargo basket sucks some mileage, but I use it constantly, even more so during the summer, if I were going to mount lights it'd be on the bottom bar of my cargo basket. So it wouldn't FURTHER interfere with aerodynamics. That and I am still liking the light bar idea for in front of the grill, I want one strong enough to put a winch on though. I just got the tow hitch on my ride and I thought about getting a winch that hooks into the receiver. The only down side is it being in the back! Seems having it in the front would be more helpful.

Until then I'll just keep the 20 foot tow strap handy ;)
Why do you keep the cargo basket on? I've got one myself, but I don't put it on unless I need it. I've got the cross bars off as well too.

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
Why do you keep the cargo basket on? I've got one myself, but I don't put it on unless I need it. I've got the cross bars off as well too.
I throw stuff up there all the time. And when I have too much stuff I hook up the trailer. Last week I had a small oven up there, week before that it was just cargo for a trip I took. I use it enough that taking it on and off would be a hassle. I have a rather large sub woofer in the back trunk area so moving it around is a lot of work too, also I like keeping the inside of my car very tidy. So when I go fishing two-three times a week during the summer I throw the wet waiders and boots up top along with fishing tackle and of course all the slimy fish that I caught. And when I get home a hose takes care of anything that is a mess. It works for me to have it there all the time. I understand it isn't ideal for everyone. I also store the fishing poles on the basket with something I devised. Check it out. http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/d...Outback/IMG_0306_zpsaa202d3d.jpg.html?filters[user]=135844757&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=5

If you go one photo to the right you will see them in action!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I throw stuff up there all the time. And when I have too much stuff I hook up the trailer. Last week I had a small oven up there, week before that it was just cargo for a trip I took. I use it enough that taking it on and off would be a hassle. I have a rather large sub woofer in the back trunk area so moving it around is a lot of work too, also I like keeping the inside of my car very tidy. So when I go fishing two-three times a week during the summer I throw the wet waiders and boots up top along with fishing tackle and of course all the slimy fish that I caught. And when I get home a hose takes care of anything that is a mess. It works for me to have it there all the time. I understand it isn't ideal for everyone. I also store the fishing poles on the basket with something I devised. Check it out. http://s1277.photobucket.com/user/d...Outback/IMG_0306_zpsaa202d3d.jpg.html?filters[user]=135844757&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=5

If you go one photo to the right you will see them in action!
Well that makes sense. These cars have tons of room, but it doesn't take much to use all that space. I have an 80lb dog that takes up a good chunk of the cargo space.

PS, your link didn't work.

Attachments

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
Well that makes sense. These cars have tons of room, but it doesn't take much to use all that space. I have an 80lb dog that takes up a good chunk of the cargo space.

PS, your link didn't work.
Odd, try this IMG_0306_zpsaa202d3d.jpg Photo by dcyberjake | Photobucket

And you'll have to scroll a few more pictures over they went out of my original order for some reason.

They do have ton's of room, I have some large tool boxes and such also that stay in the back. I work as a handy man at one of my jobs so always need things on hand. More than ANYTHING, I like the basket because I can throw the dirty stuff up there, I hate making a mess of the interior.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Odd, try this IMG_0306_zpsaa202d3d.jpg Photo by dcyberjake | Photobucket

And you'll have to scroll a few more pictures over they went out of my original order for some reason.

They do have ton's of room, I have some large tool boxes and such also that stay in the back. I work as a handy man at one of my jobs so always need things on hand. More than ANYTHING, I like the basket because I can throw the dirty stuff up there, I hate making a mess of the interior.
Bottle opener! I dig that! Are those side bracket things for fishing poles? *oh yeah, saw another pic with them.

Good looking car... I've added the wing and Vent Shades on mine (painted the Vent Shades body color).

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
Bottle opener! I dig that! Are those side bracket things for fishing poles? *oh yeah, saw another pic with them.

Good looking car... I've added the wing and Vent Shades on mine (painted the Vent Shades body color).
Thank you. I am getting ready to do some color changes of the two tone and the rims. Just messing around with colors. I will get some pics up for you once I have the right temperature to do it. -9 degrees! coldest it's been in my area in 40 years. And a ton of snow, I've been having the time of my life in this car! :D

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thank you. I am getting ready to do some color changes of the two tone and the rims. Just messing around with colors. I will get some pics up for you once I have the right temperature to do it. -9 degrees! coldest it's been in my area in 40 years. And a ton of snow, I've been having the time of my life in this car! :D
It's been 17 at night here in Portland. No snow in my area. I saw a few flakes and that's it.

Eff you.... I wanna go snow rally.

·
Registered
'01 Outback
220 Posts
It's been 17 at night here in Portland. No snow in my area. I saw a few flakes and that's it.

Eff you.... I wanna go snow rally.
I'm not saying come here, especially after following a guy with Oregon plates doing 15 in a 45 (couldn't pass or I would), but it's been around -30 every night and the snow we got a week ago has been pounded down into a sheet of ice.

Buckets of fun.

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
I'm not saying come here, especially after following a guy with Oregon plates doing 15 in a 45 (couldn't pass or I would), but it's been around -30 every night and the snow we got a week ago has been pounded down into a sheet of ice.

Buckets of fun.
I'll be honest. There are a ton of not-so-bright drivers here in OR. But at least we know what to drive! Subaru and Toyota are the number one sellers here. And at least every oragonian knows that california drivers are worse :) Yeah ol Eugene Oregon had it's record. I've lived here for 18 years and have never seen 10 inches of snow on the ground, nor had -9 degree temp. All our roads are pack ice too but it is warming up and won't be around long. But I've been enjoying it. Someone in front of me stopped and when I came to a stop I began to slide off the road, I just clinched my jaw and slid half way into the ditch. After I helped the people ahead of me get the move on I let out about 20 psi out of the tires and walked out like no ones business. Just like all the subaru stories claimed, I watched pickup trucks behind me try for their life to get out and they could not. And for this only being my 3rd or 4th time driving in the snow, I did alright. I was doing 70 in a 55 passing all the people doing 35 ;)

·
Registered
'17 3.6R Touring Brillant Brown Pearl
2,424 Posts
I'll be honest. There are a ton of not-so-bright drivers here in OR. But at least we know what to drive! Subaru and Toyota are the number one sellers here. And at least every oragonian knows that california drivers are worse :) Yeah ol Eugene Oregon had it's record. I've lived here for 18 years and have never seen 10 inches of snow on the ground, nor had -9 degree temp. All our roads are pack ice too but it is warming up and won't be around long. But I've been enjoying it. Someone in front of me stopped and when I came to a stop I began to slide off the road, I just clinched my jaw and slid half way into the ditch. After I helped the people ahead of me get the move on I let out about 20 psi out of the tires and walked out like no ones business. Just like all the subaru stories claimed, I watched pickup trucks behind me try for their life to get out and they could not. And for this only being my 3rd or 4th time driving in the snow, I did alright. I was doing 70 in a 55 passing all the people doing 35 ;)
umm... I just can't come up with words to describe the stupidity involved with that.
I've been living in Northern Mn. driving in the snow for 35 years. Every single year we hear of people dieing because of driving to fast for road conditions in the winter. Don't become one of them!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=360418080739897

·
Registered
01 Subaru OBW
49 Posts
umm... I just can't come up with words to describe the stupidity involved with that.
I've been living in Northern Mn. driving in the snow for 35 years. Every single year we hear of people dieing because of driving to fast for road conditions in the winter. Don't become one of them!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=360418080739897
I should clarify, this wasn't on the slates of ice streets that are everywhere in town. This was on the interstate 5 where the roads were very clean and not slick. But because theres mounds of snow everywhere to be seen people are slowing way down. I think everyones gotten used to it though, all the highways seem to be moving at a normal speed now. My hometown is still a solid inch of packed ice on every street though, can't take off at more than a mile an hour it's so slick. Oh well :rolleyes:

21 - 40 of 40 Posts