Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an 03 LL bean H6 Outback. Symptoms were throttle, in park, would " jump" from 500 rpm to 800 once in a while. Long story short. I had the IAC Valve AND the TPS replaced yesterday.

Drove it today to work, about 30 minutes mostly highway put in park and tach was hovering around 400 and running a little rough.

No heat on no a/c... I know that changes the tach. I called the Dealership, who are awesome, and the service manager said " give it about a week to break in" Has anyone ever heard of this ? I find this quite interesting that a NEW part doesnt fix the issue immediatley. I will say .....when I got home and did the same thing .....it did not do it.

Also it seems like the fuel / air mixture is " off" when I am on the highway but just very slightly.

Any one experienced this before or have heard of this?

Appreciate your time and help

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
It may help to erase the old learned mappings by disconnecting the battery for awhile.

I replaced my TPS back at 80K? 120K? something like that.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throttle

Ok....Thanks...What is a while ? An hour ? Two ?

Appreciate your response. It also looks like we have the same car. How long have you had it ?

Michael

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
Probably a few minutes would do it if the dome was turned on first.

I have had mine 5 years? 4? not sure. Bought with 55k on it, over 193k now.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave appreciate your help....can you clarify on what dome is when you say to turn it on first.

thank you

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Dave............Thats what I thought.... but wanted to make sure...much appreciated...............have you done this yourself to your car ?

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I have seen it fix odd problems after replacing my TPS.
Anything that was a bit out of spec can cause the car to adapt to the error, then when you replace the part it seems the computer gets flummoxed and you just need to wipe all the learning.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again dave for your expertise. ALthough it did not fix the issue, ( it improved maybe 40 % ) I appreciate your advice. How long should I wait ? Does it take a few days for the computer to recognize ?
Could it be something else ? I heard that that you need some sort of "amperage "gauge for the TPS or IAC valve. Is this true ?

Again....appreciate your time

Michael

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I know nothing about the IAC valve.

Right after you start driving if all is well the car should run just fine, check for codes.

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
My PCV was gummed up by 75k miles, don't recall it ran better after cleaning it.

Come to think of it, I did have a slight idle issue a while after changing the TPS, I cleaned the clump of grounds on the rt side of the engine, where all the sensors on the engine ground, and it fixed it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Dave....................scan tool showed NO CODES......I will clean area...what did yoiu use ? ...Throttle cleaner ?......SHould I steam clean the entire engine ?

What do you think ?

Its good to have a fellow 03 H6 owner to help resolve issues the DEALER cannot !

Michael

·
Registered
5,813 Posts
I would not spray clean any part of any engine.

I removed the bolt holding the ground wires and cleaned where they mount and all the leads with a wire brush.

The corrosion was very slight, but some of those sensors deal in millivolts...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
2 Participants
subaruman49
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing