Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the topic but my Google finger failed to deliver.

My daytime running lights switch to night time illumination every time a crow flies overhead, or I drive through an underpass. It's annoying and it must shorten the life of the lamps, which are more time consuming to swap out than a lousy mortgage interest rate.

Is there a 2013 retrofitable plug-in module I can install on my 2011 to stop this madness? Failing such an easy solution, how can it be done?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Dont think so. For 2013 this was improved on limited models only with thd upgraded instrument cluster with sensitivity settings for thd headlight sensor. I think it's mord complicated than a plug and play module.

·
Registered
'13 2.5 Premium
2,398 Posts
On the 2013 Premium the dealer can plug in and change the sensitivity. Dunno if the 2011 is the same. I had my dealer lower the sensitivity, just took a couple of minutes.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
On the 2013 Limited the dealer can plug in and change the sensitivity. Dunno if the 2011 is the same. I had my dealer lower the sensitivity, just took a couple of minutes.
Plug in? You can change it youself. Its a menu option on your instrument cluster.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Nope, I don't have that option. I have the premium, not the limited.
Huh. Must be only on the SAP. Mine has 4 different levels of sensitivity you can adjust.

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited 2.5i
1,131 Posts
The dealer can plug in your car and code the system to be less sensitive. There are several levels IIRC. Other things can be coded too, but I don't have the list with me. The dealer will have a list of items that can be coded, such as locking all doors or just drivers (on one click), headlight sensor sensitivity, alarm shock sensor sensitivity (if so equipped), etc..

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
Huh. Must be only on the SAP. Mine has 4 different levels of sensitivity you can adjust.
You got it right the first time. It's on the 2013 limited models (which includes the SAP). The poster that didn't have the adjustment only had a Premium model.

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5 EyeSight & 2010 Legacy Premium, 2010 OB Limited (traded)
2,129 Posts
The dealer can plug in your car and code the system to be less sensitive. There are several levels IIRC. Other things can be coded too, but I don't have the list with me. The dealer will have a list of items that can be coded, such as locking all doors or just drivers (on one click), headlight sensor sensitivity, alarm shock sensor sensitivity (if so equipped), etc..
Before everyone with a pre 2013 runs to the dealer to have this adjustment done be aware that it does not fix the problem. I had the adjustment done on my 2010 (along with other posters) and what you will find is that after the sensitivity is lowered the lights will wait too long to come on when it is starting to get dark out but they will still flash during the day everytime you go under an overpass. Should be a couple of older threads on this. What the pre 2013 system needs is a delay (like the 2013) not a sensitivity adjustment. The best solution in my opinion is to leave the headlights in the on position so they are now controlled by the key.

Look here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/21642-auto-headlight-sensitivity.html
and here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/50399-thank-you-automatic-headlights-getting-me-pulled-over.html

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Ltd. BBP w/SAP
41 Posts
Before everyone with a pre 2013 runs to the dealer to have this adjustment done be aware that it does not fix the problem. I had the adjustment done on my 2010 (along with other posters) and what you will find is that after the sensitivity is lowered the lights will wait too long to come on when it is starting to get dark out but they will still flash during the day everytime you go under an overpass. Should be a couple of older threads on this. What the pre 2013 system needs is a delay (like the 2013) not a sensitivity adjustment. The best solution in my opinion is to leave the headlights in the on position so they are now controlled by the key.

Look here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/21642-auto-headlight-sensitivity.html
and here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/50399-thank-you-automatic-headlights-getting-me-pulled-over.html
This is correct. The 2013 model at least on the Limited had a delay built into the sensor or its a new sensor because the 2010 (previously owned) wasn't helped by adjusting the sensitivity.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
I searched the topic but my Google finger failed to deliver.

My daytime running lights switch to night time illumination every time a crow flies overhead, or I drive through an underpass. It's annoying and it must shorten the life of the lamps, which are more time consuming to swap out than a lousy mortgage interest rate.

Is there a 2013 retrofitable plug-in module I can install on my 2011 to stop this madness? Failing such an easy solution, how can it be done?
Simple (and the cheapest) solution is NOT to have the headlight switch on steering column in "auto" position - if you car has such feature - and turn headlights on/off manually.

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback Limited 2.5i Dark Blue Pearl/Ivory w'Eyesight
703 Posts
Simple (and the cheapest) solution is NOT to have the headlight switch on steering column in "auto" position - if you car has such feature - and turn headlights on/off manually.
+1. Too many times I need to have headlights on during the day.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Subaru has "fixed" this problem for me by changing the auto position on the tree. My 2011 had the auto setting at full twist. The 2013 has the headlights at full twist. With many decades of full pull or full twist to get headlights I was most always on the auto setting in my '11. I was always reminded with headlights on when leaving my garage.;)

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Well, now my "auto" is on the second "twist" on my 2013 OB and I don't remember, how it was on my previous 2010 and 2005 Foresters....I think that "auto" position is overrated for drivers who need to be reminded, what to do, when to do it, etc , whenever they drive...LOL

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's not a solution as much as it's an avoidance of the problem. The car has an auto setting and it would be nice if it worked like the auto setting on just about every other car. I was hoping someone had figured out how to get a delay into the 2010-2012 circuitry, but it doesn't look like anyone's done it yet.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
That's not a solution as much as it's an avoidance of the problem. The car has an auto setting and it would be nice if it worked like the auto setting on just about every other car. I was hoping someone had figured out how to get a delay into the 2010-2012 circuitry, but it doesn't look like anyone's done it yet.
Good thing you didn't complain about the A/C. The solution would be to open your window.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Outback Limited w/ moonroof
227 Posts
You could be the first - make a lot of people happy and give it a shot - make sure to take a lot of pictures :29:

It's not just a SAP thing - anyone who has a Limited can do this, Premium or Base Outbacks need to go to the dealer because they don't have the updated gauge cluster.

·
Registered
2011 3.6R Premium
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You could be the first - make a lot of people happy and give it a shot - make sure to take a lot of pictures :29:
Chances are I'm just going to leave my headlights and tail lights on all of the time. I did that with my 4Runner for 14 years and only replaced one lamp in all that time. Seems like cycling is a far more detrimental to most bulbs, vs. run time. The bonus is that my visibility will be greater to Smartphone addicts, so the MPG penalty for the extra drag on the alternator will be worthwhile.

I do like that the headlights go on and off with the key, so I'll still never have to touch the lighting controls. That's an improvement over cars I've had before which either killed your battery if you fxxxxx up, or yelled at you as you left the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts