Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought an Outback out of state. My state doesn't require front plates. I noticed the dealer placed an advertising front plate on the Outback. But I wasn't worried, just planned on removing at home. It never entered my mind the Outback might not have pre-drilled holes for the front plates. The other vehicles I've bought just had body or bumper-colored plugs to place in the screw holes.

So great. I've got a nice new Outback with holes in the front bumper.

Anyone have a suggestion? So far I'm just planning on taking my brand new car to a body shop?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
Having pulled the bumper off my Outback to install HID low beam bulbs I saw that there are plastic posts in the back to support the install of the license plate. I am in the same boat as you they put the **** advertising plate on so no sense complaining it was too late.
What am I going to do? Get a couple of dark plugs that fit flat. This was also a problem on BMW forums I am on and I will need to do some digging but someone there found a company that actually made plugs for those holes. Maybe someone here knows of that company. I will go investigate the other site and see if I can find that post...

This one seems the best:
http://bumperplugs.com/BPindex.html

another one
http://www.aerotect.net/Bumper-Plugs.html

I am pretty sure this is the way I will go since the cost to refinish is way out of line...

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6 Limited
213 Posts
I would just leave it alone ...or in the future you might need it to mount a front parking camera or other video device attached to plate. New aftermarket head-units have up to 2 aux-in inputs for video cameras.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,016 Posts
My concern was with the raised edges of plastic from the huge self tappers they used to mount the dealer plates. I want to get a clear-bra but it won't cover the uneven surface very well and the black holes stand out. My solution was to use the rounded back end of a phillips head screwdriver to apply pressure on the raised edges and push them back into the hole and at least make the surface smooth. I'm going to finish the job with a small dab of white silicone caulking to fill the remaining hole. Smooth enough for the clear-bra and could easily be retapped through the silicone for future use.

·
Registered
2007 OBXT Limited, 5MT 148K
420 Posts
On my last car I went to Autozone and found some snazzy stainless "license plate" bolts with a tapered heads and just screwed them into the holes. The covered enough of the bumper cover to protect it and it was very clean.

·
Registered
2,819 Posts

·
Registered
2017 2.5 Touring
1,329 Posts
You might as well use them to screw a political sign on the front of the car.
Not too big though, you don't want to overheat that boxer.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,529 Posts
Holes in front bumper.

I found that any black trim plastic push button (correct size) available at PepBoys (or similar) nicely fill these holes. Same trim fasteners that hold various panels in any car! You can also put the ones that have a philips expander plastic screw in it and tighten it! If the holes protrude , you could file away the edges, like using a nail file or fine sand paper!

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
I found that any black trim plastic push button (correct size) available at PepBoys (or similar) nicely fill these holes. Same trim fasteners that hold various panels in any car! You can also put the ones that have a philips expander plastic screw in it and tighten it! If the holes protrude , you could file away the edges, like using a nail file or fine sand paper!
Agreed, they actually make license plate hole filers, like this BumperPlugs.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts