Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day folks,

Today I took my car in for servicing. They'll be fixing this as I type. While at the garage, and in a parking lot next to a busy road, the exact ideal conditions, I took some audio recordings of the sound. Why?

Because I knew you'd love to diagnose the issue.

I have two recordings.

The first is taken from the passenger side wheel well.

The second is taken from directly in front of the grill.

The winner get beer and/or chocolate the next time we meet.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
I can't say I recognize it, so I'm going more by what it doesn't sound like, and guessing after elimination... power steering pump.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I should add:

* the sound frequency changes with engine speed.
* I do not hear it at higher speeds, but I suspect that is because it is drowned out

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Doesn't sound all that strange to me... Maybe something is wrong with my car :)

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I'm digging. I can't say I hear anything wrong in that audio. But I'm assuming that it's a noise that just recently showed up. My failing pulley was definitely high pitched. It sounded similar to an electric power steering pump.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Okay, it sounds better now :) I'm just going to say accessory belt. I can't think what else would sound like that but not be the ac or power steering.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Thanks!

On a side note, I noticed that the water pump is NOT toothed, so if it freezes it doesn't guarantee that the timing belt will break. Sounds like that is what happened to you, luckily!

Tom

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ahh sounds good. But can you figure out why the other pulleys died at the same time? How odd. And now another bearing...

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I can only guess that it was because of the overheating. Maybe...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
5 Participants
tdelker
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing