Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Outback 2.5L 5 Speed, 2014 Outback Premium 2.5L CVT
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 Outback with 2.5L Auto tranny has developed an idle speed problem, especially when the AC is running. When at idle and the AC compressor cycles off the engine speed really drops almost to the point of dying, but then recovers and idles at a normal speed. When the AC compressor cycles back on the RPMs jump up higher than normal, to about 1250 when in park then level off to about 900 which was the normal idle speed for the AC compressor engaged. Then when it cycles off it almost dies again, repeating the cycle. It has been doing this for a few weeks but today was the first time it actually did die while coming up to a stop sign. When the AC is not running the idle speed seems a little low at times but not as bad.

The problems seems to have started around the same time I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets. I also removed the driver side fuel rail to remove the valve cover. I have looked for a loose wire harness, loose vacuum hose but I don't see anything. The only other thought is I did have some fuel spray on that side of the engine because the O-ring on one of the injectors was bad when I was putting it back together.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
If you've got a bad injector seal, the car can't really run right. Fix that and see how it does.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru Outback PZEV,2010 Impreza 2.5i
535 Posts
The problems seems to have started around the same time I replaced the spark plugs, wires, and valve cover gaskets. I also removed the driver side fuel rail to remove the valve cover. I have looked for a loose wire harness, loose vacuum hose but I don't see anything. The only other thought is I did have some fuel spray on that side of the engine because the O-ring on one of the injectors was bad when I was putting it back together.

Thanks!
Did you reuse the old o-rings? There are three o-rings per injector that you need to replace (OEM only) as they are single use o-rings. You may be leaking fuel as well if you are on old o-rings. Do you get any fuel smell?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The O-ring that was bad and causing the leak I did replace, I happened to have one but only one of the right size in my garage, it was the very top O-ring on the injector, after that no leaks at all. I did go ahead and order all 3 seals OEM for both injectors, I was just planning on replacing them at my next oil change when I'm working on it since there were no fuel leaks. Guess I will put that up higher on the priority list now!

Just curious, what is wrong that can cause this?

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
957 Posts
It's possible you have a vacuum leak somewhere. Did you replace the PCV valve lately or disconnect the PCV Valve hose? A 10 year old hose with a friction fit in a hot area is very susceptible to cracking. The hose on my son's "new" 2007 Toyota Camry seemed good but just removing it cracked it all over the place. The side attached to the PCV Valve was hard as a rock.
Had I not replaced it even before starting the car up again, it would have been shake city at idle with lots of dying at stop lights.

That actually happened to me with my OBW after replacing the PCV Valve. A new hose fixed it up nicely.

You may have a leak somewhere else so don't just check the one spot.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did replace the PCV vales a few months back but the problem didn't start until I removed the injectors. I did check the hoses for any cracks but I will check them again. Thanks everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts