Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Outback L.L. Bean
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

Seems after some research we've encountered the common idler pulley bearing seizure issue on my wife's '05 Bean. Fortunately it finally gave up the ghost right in front of our house so I had the car flatbedded up to my work (I work for a Jaguar/Land Rover dealer) and pulled it in tonight after we knocked off for the day to sort the issue with a new pulley and belt (so I thought). Seems that the pulley destroyed the shaft on the bracket as well so a new one of those will have to be sourced and I'm just curious as to what all is involved in R&R'ing that beast? I guess what I'm getting at is if the A/C has to be discharged or can I unbolt the compressor and move it out of the way to get the bracket out? Beyond that, it doesn't seem terribly awful of a job--the worst part of it being that she's driving my XJR until it's sorted and I want my car back! :eek:

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. Also, would it be wise to change the pulley on the tensioner as well? Anything special I need to know for that exercise?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did everything a while ago. Change both they use the same bearing, and carry about the same load same life expectancy.

Attached is the part of the owners manual that deals with the belt replacement, did not see anything about the bracket but some torque values etc

As far as removing the bracket goes, I cant recall how much room there was, but I cant see anything wrong with unbolting the AC and moving it aside a bit. Second attachment is my layout even with right hand drive it should be similar. Wonder if with some maneuvering the bracket would not get out without touching the AC pump

Attachments

·
Registered
1993 Legacy LSi with still functioning Air Suspension, 1999 Outback 2.5L 5MT lab Rat
191 Posts
No Need to discharge the AC, a 3/8 flex 14mm shallow socket to remove the 3 mount bolts that attach to top of the block, then the front bolt also 14mm, once you can lift the compressor and bracket a quick shot on the compressor bolts with your impact will separate the compressor from the bracket, re-install is the reverse of the removal. Also replace the other pulley, its the same part number, and can be replaced without replacing the tensioner. I recommend these and the serpentine belt at 90 k for my 3.0L clients as routine maintenance.

·
Registered
2005 Outback L.L. Bean
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the replies. Going to be ringing the dealer shortly to see if they have the part in stock. Fingers crossed....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts