Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Subaru Outback Limited Sedan, 2.5L
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh! Always something!!! A/C com pressor belt squealed like a pig every time I engaged my AC. Simple fix, or so I thought...just tighten the belt. Didn't get half a turn on the adjustment screw and snapped the threaded adjuster. Not sure if it'll come in handy for someone else in the same predicament, but I attached a thumbnail photo; it's available in several places including Amazon. At $10 a pop, I bought two; chances are my gorilla arms will probably break it again...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,724 Posts
Most of us have done that - once. Part is plastic but doesn't look like plastic. Don't beat yourself up.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
didn't loosen the pulley bolt first?
Dang, that hurts Lucky! I had just finished replacing my head gaskets about 2 or three weeks prior, so I knew I would probably need to "fine tune" belt adjustments. Forgetting to loosen the pulley bolt would be an early sign it was time to hang up the wrenches!

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,819 Posts
no intention to insult, it's very easy to overlook and others reading the thread now or in future might need the reminder.

as well as this author!

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,724 Posts
..... it's very easy to overlook and others reading the thread now or in future might need the reminder.
Actually, for me it wasn't a matter of overlooking it - I just went at the adjusting rod first because the receiving piece looked like metal. With a stop nut on the end of the rod, it looks like that's all there is to the belt tension system.

The rod adjusts the position. The bracket holds it in place once adjusted. Sequence matters, of course. Lesson learned when you hear the snap of plastic.

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
11,684 Posts
I just changed a friends Gen 2 belt and was a little nervous breaking it. Especially since I was trying to do a one take style how to video.

Is there an aftermarket version of this that has a metal piece there instead of plastic? Because if they made that I would be so happy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there an aftermarket version of this that has a metal piece there instead of plastic? Because if they made that I would be so happy.
When/if you ever find a version made of metal, I'll be looking forward to your post! Somebody must have a machine shop contact who could turn several of these out on a daily basis. Great side business, just saying...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts