Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback Wagon, 2005 Outback 3.0 (not running),2015 Forester
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I indicated in the title I screwed up. In a rush, I lost the nut from the back of the idler pulley from the tensioner.

I can't find it. Is there any way it can get into the timing chain area of the EZ 3.0? What is the worst thing the nut can fall into?

Or do I crank the engine and cross my fingers.

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
716 Posts
are you talking about the accessory belt tensioner? If so no, the cover is completely sealed off otherwise oil would leak.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
are you talking about the accessory belt tensioner? If so no, the cover is completely sealed off otherwise oil would leak.
I thought so, I just can see where it went. I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
716 Posts
Also i thought the tensioners had basically welded nuts on the back of them? Its been a while since I changed the pulley bearings.

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Is there enough room for it to fall between the crankshaft pulley and the timing chain cover?

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
From this on-line photo, it certainly looks as if that nut is free to fall down!
tensioner.jpg

There's that ledge on top of the timing chain cover below the tensioner where the nut could be resting, but beyond that, if it's not anywhere around or behind the crankshaft pully, I would think it probably fell down. Does the car have an engine under cover where it might have landed?
H6.jpg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Tore the tensioner and the alternator off. Still couldn't find it. Bizarre.

I pulled the splash shield off to see if it fell down. I saw it on the ledge mentioned before I lost it but it fell when I was trying to pick it up.

Thanks,

·
Registered
17,684 Posts
Probably down in some cranny below the engine where it's not going to cause a problem.

Can't use the tensioner without it, but the nut should be replaceable. If there's a fastener shop or good hardware store in your area, bring the tensioner, or just the bolt, and match it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts