Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on the first morning start up it seems to be ideling too high untill warmed up a little, could it be the TPS? or somthing els.

thanks Dar

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
well, it could be normal.

maybe someone knows the relationship between temp and boosted idle.

is this something that you've noticed has changed from last Fall or is the car new to you?

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Define "too high". 1500 is the norm for a cold start. If it's going significantly above that, there could be a problem.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
WOW it must be normal, it's around 15-1700 for 30 seconds then down to 1200 for another min or two then when warm in park it's 800.

i have just owned the car for a month, but i had a 2000 with an H4 about 4 years ago and didn't remember it idleing quite so high, this one has an H6.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
It's normal then. The idle is based on coolant temp. Although if you tap the gas, it will usually override that and drop to the normal idle.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now i have a new twist to throw in, when you smash the gas into the carpet and run it up it will not idle untill you disconnect the battery and reconnect.

it does not throw a CEL code, i was assuming this was maybe going hand in hand with the high idle.

it's not really a problem as i don't drive like that, but just wanted to throw it out there.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Cold engine being flooded by a mashed pedal I can't imagine why it would protest idling smooth. Though either way sounds like a sensor is probably on its way out. But normal cold engine idle will be a rev that peaks close to 2000rpm right after you start the car and in my case almost always dropped off by the time I had the car rolling out of the driveway a minute or less later. Might be longer if the car is sitting in very cold temps vs just cold enough to get some ice to form on the windows over night etc.

Dirty - or bad grounding cable could also contribute to this

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
I hope you aren't talking about mashing the pedal into the carpet while the engine is still cold. Not a good idea unless you hate your engine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No fully up to temp, i'm not talking about a ruff idle, i'm talking about just dieing, no idle at all.

if you let it try to idle it will die.

i need to add, i'm going down the road not just punching the pedal in park, IE a wide open run up to 80mph or so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
4 Participants
subiesailor
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing