Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With 17 car-jackings in Oak Park IL this year my mind got to running. Can a thief safely drive off when the key fob is still in my pocket? Is there any way to turn off the engine with the fob as he drives away? (I would run away after stopping the engine). Could I set off the car alarm with the fob as he drives away so that he does not want to drive a car with the alarm screeching?

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
3,039 Posts
The carjacker can drive the car away while the fob is still in your pocket but once he turns the car off, he won't be able to restart it.

Can't help with the other scenarios but this past weekend a dude was in a high speed chase and Five-0 was able to have OnStar disable the vehicle.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
With 17 car-jackings in Oak Park IL this year my mind got to running. Can a thief safely drive off when the key fob is still in my pocket? Is there any way to turn off the engine with the fob as he drives away? (I would run away after stopping the engine). Could I set off the car alarm with the fob as he drives away so that he does not want to drive a car with the alarm screeching?
As far as I know, there is nothing you can do to shut it off when someone drives away. The only hope you have is that the car stalls or they shut it off, because it can't be started without a fob. There is a thread on this topic, by the way: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...5-outback-keyless-push-button-easy-steal.html

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
You know horse thieves got strung up right when they were caught.

A friend had an attempt similar to the gas station video above. A pickup with three guys next to him caught on jumped out and beat the criminal, slammed the guys hand in the car door to prevent him from getting in the car. Then got some pretty good licks in.

But most of these guys are operating with backup. Keep the car locked!

·
Premium Member
I has car.
4,621 Posts
Without watching the whole video, that woman is an idiot.

It's a car. It's probably insured. Let it go. Not worth risking your life over.

If there was a kid or pet in the back, different story.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,763 Posts
I don't idle my car, nor leave my keys in it while refueling - that lady's a lucky fool.

hmmm...wonder if a baby seat and a doll in the center of the rear seat would a car jacking deterrent?

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,018 Posts
Without watching the whole video, that woman is an idiot.

It's a car. It's probably insured. Let it go. Not worth risking your life over.

If there was a kid or pet in the back, different story.
Don't mess with momma's babies. I remember the terrible story of a woman who claimed a black man/men hijacked her car with her three kids in the back. They were found at the bottom of a lake. The police were all ready to pursue that scenario when a woman officer and mother told them that story stinks. She said "If mom didn't rip a bumper off the car trying to save them, she did it." She did do it.

·
Registered
2016 Carbide Grey 2.5 Limited Outback with Eyesight. Add-on: Geolandar GO15's on 17" WRX rims, Ecohitch
300 Posts
If you have the Security package, you could at least track your car on GPS. I wonder if you can at least sound the alarm (panic button) as they're driving away?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts