Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be a qualified Subaru mechanic soon. Drove back from Little Rock yesterday and only made it as far as Louisville. No engine problems this time. Car started lurching, losing drive with an expensive sounding drivetrain noise from the front. Had the car towed to the nearest hotel (unfortunately it is Derby weekend and the hotel was near the track so it cost a cool $299 for the night) and reserved a U-Haul and trailer.

By noon the U-Haul was still not ready and they finally told me I might have to wait until Monday. I had my wife come to pick me up (from Columbus Ohio) as I could also not find a one way rental car (Derby weekend you know). I will use my boss's pickup sometime next week to come pick it up. That should be an adventure in itself, as I am sure his truck (Dodge Dakota) can not pull the OB + a trailer. This means getting a dolly and removing the propshaft before towing back to Mt. Gilead.

Autopsy to occur as soon as I feel I can face it.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
I'm sure you know this, but it never hurts to say it again for other people who might not know:

Make sure all 4 wheels are off the ground when you tow that puppy!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
I think that's why he mentioned dropping the shaft first. Having seen his driveway, I know it will be a challenge to get it up the hill to the garage...

Wow, I wonder what broke. Did you pull the dirstick and look at the fluid?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The_Lizard said:
I think that's why he mentioned dropping the shaft first. Having seen his driveway, I know it will be a challenge to get it up the hill to the garage...

Wow, I wonder what broke. Did you pull the dirstick and look at the fluid?
Quite correct Alex. I will be dropping the prophaft for that exact reason.

Fluid was clean as I changed it before leaving for Little Rock and it looked clean When I checked. It was in a parking lot at night with maybe not the best light. One of the first things I will do is to pull the drain plug to see if it has any metal shavings stuck to it.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Well, I wish you the best with this, hope it isn't due to any error when you put the engine back in.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am positive it is not due to anything from the engine install. The only drivetrain part I touched was the clutch, and it is still feeling good.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Greeny...

Well, isn't it true that with a manual tranny you can still tow with all four wheels on the ground also? Out of gear of course:D Brian

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I will be driving to Louisville on Wednesday to pick up the OB. Ended with a tow dolly which means a small amount of wrench time to remove the driveshaft before driving back home.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Good luck with the poor OB. Too much service to that car in too little time. Maybe that's it for any major repairs for another hundred thousand:D . Brian

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bheinz57 said:
Good luck with the poor OB. Too much service to that car in too little time. Maybe that's it for any major repairs for another hundred thousand:D . Brian
I really hope so!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the car is back at the house. Pulled the rear propshaft after getting the car on the towdolly. No real problems until I got home and had to get the car in the garage. It was not easy, I do not want to talk about it and we are minus 1 tree in the front yard.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got to the point of checking the transmission fluid. Opened the drain plug and the oil was pitch black and smelled burnt. A lot of small metal shavings on the plug.

Since it seems from the manual that the only part that could cause this would be the central diff (being a viscous coupling) I am guessing it is shot. With all the metal floating around the gearbox I doubt the rest of the tranny and front diff is any good.

I guess I will save up and buy a used gearbox in a few months.:mblah: :bonk: :1zhelp: :banghead: :cursin:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Wow, anything that can go wrong will go wrong?!? Darn. After this fix you get your honorary Subaru ASE mechanic status, right? Brian

1 - 14 of 14 Posts