Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
Not entirely sure what you mean, but I think it would be interesting to see some more adventurous variants of engines maybe. Something occasionally tried but not often pursued for long is engines with more cylinders at the same displacement. A 2.5L H6 would be an interesting motor, especially with 4 valves per cylinder. Should fit in the same space as the 4 cyl. offered now, without too much trouble. Ferrari built much of its reputation on this idea, as most of their motors for ages were fairly small displacement with more cylinders, and were made much more rev happy as a result.

A dual range input to the transmission would be interesting too, so you could have Hi and Lo range. With a proper low range gearing, Subarus could REALLY put the hurt to a lot of other 'offroad' vehicles out there (hint: Jeeps).

·
Registered
2001 Outback, 2.5L
51 Posts
I like my 2.5 just fine, but I would love a low range transfer case and lockers :)

·
Registered
2008 Ford Escape XLS - 2002 Subaru Outback
246 Posts
Chevy LS motor, then a 6 speed manual 6th as an interstate over drive and 1st as a super super super low pulling or vertical climb gear. With a dual range transfer case and lockers.
I think 400+ hp would make a Outback a little more snappy.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Chevy LS motor, then a 6 speed manual 6th as an interstate over drive and 1st as a super super super low pulling or vertical climb gear. With a dual range transfer case and lockers.
I think 400+ hp would make a Outback a little more snappy.
this.

·
Registered
2013 Legacy Lim CVT Car: 2011 OB Prem 6MT Car: 2006 Miata GT 6MT mc: 2003 Honda GL1800A * Reunite Gondwanaland *
3,565 Posts

An oscillation overthruster would be nice.

...no need for AWD,

Looby

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
This.

·
Registered
2011,premium,2.5
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i would want the engine from the next gen sti, the transmission that probably wont be available in this country.
i found this on a motor trend forum
March 22, 2012 11:49 pmReply

GTR engine,power train and center console,with a subaru outback body and hight….road,track,dirty and zombies would stand no chance….

Read more: Thread of the Day: Which Two Cars Would You Combine to Create the Perfect Car? - WOT on Motor Trend

yeah thats my post lo

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,969 Posts
To me, anything that's not an HO motor would be sacrilege. That said, I suppose you could put a Porsche H6 turbo from a GT2 or some such and make life interesting.

·
Registered
'11 Outback 2.5i CVT - '06 Forester X 5MT
1,765 Posts
I'd like a 2.5L H4 mated to a CVT please :D

Seriously though, I think a 2.0 Turbo Diesel with a CVT would be the ultimate match. Great MPG and loads of low end.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,019 Posts
...I would put a diesel in it...just a plain 'ol oil burner would suit me fine. Just got back from two weeks in Italy...the Europeans get all the great options...including diesel...

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
I plan on swapping in the EE20 diesel w/6spd when my current 2.5 needs a rebuild/replacing.
That won't pass a smog check if you have them in MA.
Installing a diesel would also violate federal EPA laws.

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
Some sort of turbo H6 mated to a 6-speed MT.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts