Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
You can adjust the sensitivity of the speed volume adjustment. I have mine on the max sensitivity and can notice a difference - however you shouldn't really notice the increase because it's just accounting for increased road noise to stay at the same relative volume.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can adjust the sensitivity of the speed volume adjustment. I have mine on the max sensitivity and can notice a difference - however you shouldn't really notice the increase because it's just accounting for increased road noise to stay at the same relative volume.
I think I have mine on 2. Is that the max?

Was speed volume just a 2013 option? I don't remember reading anything about it on the 2012s.
I'm not sure.

·
Registered
'05 Outback 2.5 XT Limited, '09 Outback Sport, '13 Outback 3.6R Limited w/SAP & Brilliant Brown Pearl
161 Posts
On our 2009 Outback Sport it came equipped with the same kind of setting available. Basically like said above the system has a small microphone somewhere on the radio head which monitors ambient notice levels and when turned on or a threshold level has been met it will adjust the volume up or down as needed. For what it's worth it didn't work as well as I would have preferred. To many variables going on inside the cabin to make it effective. As for what cars have it. Right now the manual says cars equipped with audio A units and audio B units have it included. It is not on our HK 440 watt system.

Steve

·
Registered
2015 OB Limited 2.5i PZEV MR, Keyless Access & Push-Button Start, Nav, Eyesight - Tungsten Metallic
1,313 Posts
In 2011, speed control was included on both the base radio and the HK upgrade. The base radio had settings that could be adjusted by the user which probably meant that the only input to the radio was from the speed sensor. The HK had no user adjustments - it used a microphone plus the speed sensor and also an input from the sunroof to indicate whether it was open or closed. I sent an email to Subaru about the speed control on the HK unit and received this reply:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I hope that you have been enjoying your 2011 Outback 2.5i Ltd. I have researched this with our Product Management Department and was advised of the following information.

It is built-in to Harman amplifier. It is a Speed Volume Control (SVC) feature. There are no modifications for this function.
It does not increase absolute volume, but instead boosts some sound frequencies to adjust for interior noise at speed. SVC specifically adjusts sound levels for specific frequencies across speed ranges - thereby adjusting 'sound' varied by speed. It is not as aggressive as typical Auto Volume Control (AVC) that can be turned on/off within the radio head unit, and is typically dependent on microphone-measured interior sound levels as a means of adjusting volume levels within the cabin.
Thank you, for the opportunity to be of service. Have a great day.
Sincerely,

John J. Mergen
Subaru of America, Inc.
Customer/Dealer Services Department
1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

·
Registered
2013 Outback Limited 2.5i/CVT/Graphite Gray
52 Posts
I have a 2013 with the HK radio.. it has 3 settings for SVC, "OFF", "1" and "2", if I recall.. even 1 is pretty agressive.

I have it turned off at the moment.. it's annoying as the car is so quiet it doesn't need much of a volume increase as speed goes up.

·
Registered
2012 Outback Premium (Ruby Red) w/ AWP, 19mm RSB, custom stereo w/ sub/amp, back-up camera
84 Posts
I have a '12 Premium, and have speed volume enabled at level 2. When I am at highway speeds and slow down quickly (like at an exit), I can hear the volume decrease after slowing pretty noticeably.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts