Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I attempted to change the spark plugs on my 2015 Outback 2.5 this afternoon. First one went fine. On the rear passenger side, the coil boot didn't come off with the coil plug, and needle-nose pliers wouldn't budge it. Several threads said to try a coathanger hook to pull it out. I tried that, and proceeded to rip a piece off of the side of the boot, near the top. After over an hour more of pulling and cursing, I finally got it all out and was able to change out the plug.

However, now I've got a torn-up boot. By the time I did this the dealers around me were all closed. Does anyone know if they sell just the rubber boot, or am I going to have to buy the entire coil? I can't find just the boot on Amazon, Advance, Rock Auto, etc. I'm going to be in trouble with the boss (my wife) if I can't get this repaired in time for her to get to work on Tuesday :(.

An aside - any tips to make sure I don't do the same thing on the driver's side? I'm going to hold off on doing those 2 until I get this resolved, so I don't have too many issues at once.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shoe Goo might be able to fix that.
Brilliant! I didn't even think of using an adhesive. I looked at the MSDS for Shoe Goo and it says that the maximum temp is 150 degrees F. Do you think the outer part of the boot would reach that temperature? I may just go to Lowe's and see what all rubber to rubber adhesives they have. This sounds like a great idea!

Thank you!

·
Registered
2017 3.6R Limited with Eye Sight
650 Posts
I looked at the MSDS for Shoe Goo and it says that the maximum temp is 150 degrees F.
150F seems low. I wonder if that is the max temperature it cures at. In any event it should last long enough for you to find a replacement.

Do you think the outer part of the boot would reach that temperature?
Not a clue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't run the car without the boot, your gonna get spark arching causing a misfire. I wouldn't waste my time trying to glue it together again either, its just gonna tear apart the next time it has to come off.

I'd try to find a used ignition coil off someone and just use the boot, if not might have to buy the entire thing from the dealership or a nearby online oem subaru parts site. At least you would have a spare ignition coil.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't run the car without the boot, your gonna get spark arching causing a misfire. I wouldn't waste my time trying to glue it together again either, its just gonna tear apart the next time it has to come off.

I'd try to find a used ignition coil off someone and just use the boot, if not might have to buy the entire thing from the dealership or a nearby online oem subaru parts site. At least you would have a spare ignition coil.
Thanks! I'm definitely not going to try running without it. I purchased this glue from Home Depot. It appears to have done a good job putting the pieces back together. I've assembled it and am giving the glue as much time as possible to cure before putting it back in the engine.

I'm going to try to get a replacement from either the dealer or from a pick-a-part place. That's a good idea. This will at least give my wife a way to get to work in the meantime.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,110 Posts
I would not recommend using any adhesive (a.k.a. "glue"). The Loctite adhesive listed above, even if you are somehow able to get it applied effectively, is not going to withstand normal engine operating temperatures. See http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/SG_UG_CNTRL_tds.pdf. Consider that the boot is going to see temperatures at least as high as the coolant or engine oil. And you really don't want any adhesive residue stuck to the sealing surfaces of the spark plug well.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited -2.5 CVT ---- 'Gone' 2014 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT ---- 'Rehomed' 2012 Outback Limited - 2.5 CVT - Deep Indigo Pearl ---- "RIP" 2010 Outback - 2.5 CVT - Silver - So's my hair
120 Posts
Thanks! I'm definitely not going to try running without it. I purchased this glue from Home Depot. It appears to have done a good job putting the pieces back together. I've assembled it and am giving the glue as much time as possible to cure before putting it back in the engine.

I'm going to try to get a replacement from either the dealer or from a pick-a-part place. That's a good idea. This will at least give my wife a way to get to work in the meantime.
I'm sure your wife is happy to be sent back to work.:laugh:

Looking back on the emergency repairs I've been involved in (there have been a few) one of my toolbox staples has been 'self fusing tape'. It's gotten me back on the road a number of times. Not sure about high heat and high voltage applications but cooling system emergencies work fine.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/GO2_WRAP_tds.pdf

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After some research into the chemical properties of cyanoacrylates like Loctite, it appears that at about 180-200 degrees their adhesive properties begin to break down. They don't "melt" per se - they just lose the ability to adhere to the material. With that in mind, I went ahead and installed the repaired boot for now. I will use this as a temporary solution while I try to track down a used boot or order a full coil from RockAuto. I don't want to pay $100 at the dealer :(.

Thank you all for your help. Fingers crossed it holds.

P.S. - If you know somebody with a spare coil boot for a 2015 Outback I would be willing to pay quite a bit more than it's actually worth :).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts