Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to replace my spark plugs (60k miles). Removing ignition coils was impossible. No space to work and they are seized in there.

Somehow i managed to get the coils out from spark plugs on the passenger side(pulling on the rubber part), but cant get front one out from the driver side. So i put it back until my next attempt. i may have to replace (22433AA70B)

The plastic part came off the rubber part. There was a small spring in the rubber part, I got that removed, but the rubber part I cant get that sucker off the spark plug. Its like grew into spark plug.

Also, I manage to damage the rubber part when pulling on it with pliers, the piece ripped off. I will replace it on my next attempt.

I did not disconnect spark plug coil connector because I read they brake off easily.

Anyone have a similar experience? Any tips?

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
644 Posts
Are you just trying to pull the coil off the spark plug or trying to remove it from the ignition wire connector?

I've replaced the plugs on a 2014 & a 2016 and they came out easily in both cases. You have to bend them around somewhat after they pull off the plug but otherwise no issues. What year car and mileage?

Both of mine were done around 60K. If the car was older or high mileage I can see some possible deterioration of the boot.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,292 Posts
I tried to replace my spark plugs (60k miles). Removing ignition coils was impossible. No space to work and they are seized in there.
Any tips?
I know that our shop guys use a rather specialty double angle socket or wrench of some kind to get in there. Otherwise it's almost easier to drop the engine to work on things while it's on a lift.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you just trying to pull the coil off the spark plug or trying to remove it from the ignition wire connector?

I've replaced the plugs on a 2014 & a 2016 and they came out easily in both cases. You have to bend them around somewhat after they pull off the plug but otherwise no issues. What year car and mileage?

Both of mine were done around 60K. If the car was older or high mileage I can see some possible deterioration of the boot.
Thanks for the response, Mike. It's 2015 outback, 2.5 with 60k.
I am trying to remove the rubber boot from the spark plug. Coil already came off the rubber boot by me pulling on the coil.

Any suggestions on removing rear plug on driver side? there is very limited space there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know that our shop guys use a rather specialty double angle socket or wrench of some kind to get in there. Otherwise it's almost easier to drop the engine to work on things while it's on a lift.
can you share a picture of the tool?
i work on the car in my garage, no lift.
I do have floor jack and stands, BTW.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
644 Posts
Thanks for the response, Mike. It's 2015 outback, 2.5 with 60k.
I am trying to remove the rubber boot from the spark plug. Coil already came off the rubber boot by me pulling on the coil.

Any suggestions on removing rear plug on driver side? there is very limited space there.
I use a combination of extensions, particularly a wobble extension. Plus I have a real thin head socket. Without these it would pretty much impossible.

·
Registered
19,019 Posts
The plastic part came off the rubber part. There was a small spring in the rubber part, I got that removed, but the rubber part I cant get that sucker off the spark plug. Its like grew into spark plug.
I use a combination of extensions, particularly a wobble extension. Plus I have a real thin head socket. Without these it would pretty much impossible.
Is it a question of how to reach the plug, or how to get a socket gripping the plug in this particular situation?

The coil-on-plug, like the Subaru spark plug wires, have long extensions to reach down from the coil pack into the spark plug tube. At the end is a rubber cover that fits snugly over the spark plug insulator. The problem in this case might be that the rubber cover part has torn away from the long extension, and is stuck on the plug. As a result, sockets can't go down over the plug to reach the hex end.

I'm fairly certain there's been posts here in the past with this problem. Possibly, a deep socket of the right hex size, but not the type designed for spark plugs (which have their own rubber inserts inside to grab the plug) might be able to fit down over the left-over rubber and grip the hex.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, Mike, ill try the tools I used to get plugs out on the passenger side. hope that works

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it a question of how to reach the plug, or how to get a socket gripping the plug in this particular situation?

The coil-on-plug, like the Subaru spark plug wires, have long extensions to reach down from the coil pack into the spark plug tube. At the end is a rubber cover that fits snugly over the spark plug insulator. The problem in this case might be that the rubber cover part has torn away from the long extension, and is stuck on the plug. As a result, sockets can't go down over the plug to reach the hex end.

I'm fairly certain there's been posts here in the past with this problem. Possibly, a deep socket of the right hex size, but not the type designed for spark plugs (which have their own rubber inserts inside to grab the plug) might be able to fit down over the left-over rubber and grip the hex.
Thanks for the reply Plain OM, ill take a picture on my next attempt(should do the pic before, dah) to show what i am talking about. Rubber tube from coil that sits on the spark plug is what i have problem with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys, here is the update. this must happen some day and here it is.
i got the extra coils with rubber part from ebay and was determined to remove old spark plugs on driver side.
This side has even smaller clearance to work with than the passenger side, however, after many curse words i took both coils out and replaced both spark plugs. i did manage to tear front driver coil rubber part and rear as well. both of them just wont come out. i even used small pick to disengage the rubber from the plug, no luck there.

here are few pictures.
the tear and the tool setup i used to take the back driver spark plug out.

·
Banned
9 Posts
They're the Yukon (the truck - D-585 iirc?) coils. Pretty much all the aftermarket coils offered for the RX8 use the same coil, although iirc there are 2 versions, one is a more updated version and the one you want, but they both look similar/use the same fittings. You shouldn't have any problems connecting new aftermarket coils, they're just pricey.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They're the Yukon (the truck - D-585 iirc?) coils. Pretty much all the aftermarket coils offered for the RX8 use the same coil, although iirc there are 2 versions, one is a more updated version and the one you want, but they both look similar/use the same fittings. You shouldn't have any problems connecting new aftermarket coils, they're just pricey.
are you talking about these? https://www.carparts.com/details/Ma...vYfl5Ro2cYZ3u4V-kr8aAn2cEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
The look like they may just work. Donor parts from ebay are not bad for the price. those should run for a while....
thanks for the tip

i had bad time getting the driver side coils out and i with my car forgive me that i ripped it.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
325 Posts
I wonder if these would be easier to remove from the spark plug if the engine is at least a little warm when doing the job. Just a thought.

Andy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts