Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posting so that A) You all can perhaps find the humor with me. B) Give someone an additional option to all of the other threads that say "turn the wheel and wiggle the key"

I'm on my 4th Subaru now with a 2011 3.6R and never once had a key issue. Went out to leave for work this morning and couldn't get the key to turn at all. Super confused I tried to turn the wheel from side to side, played with the gear shift, nothing worked. Browsed the forums for ideas and tried everything I could find aside from one video that said hit the key with a rubber mallet (not that desperate yet). After about 30-45 minutes of going at it I gave up and got the wife to drive me to work. I called the dealer for ideas and to potentially set the stage for a visit the next day. They brushed me off and assured it was just the steering lock, but I could have it towed in the next day if I wanted. The guy did offer to walk me through the process of 'turning the wheel slowly' via phone when I got home later, he'd be in the office until 6pm....

Almost certain this wasn't the steering lock I found a well reviewed locksmith on Yelp and he came out this afternoon. Low and behold he was able to get the entire ignition/key out and he found the tip of an 1/8" Aux audio cable inside. :| The previous evening when I got home my 22 month old son was all too happy to play in dad's car. Smart enough(?) and strong enough to fit the aux cable into the key slot and apparently break it off. (Thanks Subaru for not yet supporting Bluetooth audio in 2011). Cost $450 for the ~3+ hours the locksmith was here. Probably better than the dealership, but so goes it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts
Your son saw the problem and decided to wire your car for sound, but perhaps he's not taken the time to read the instructions: well, bad habits have to start sometime! :grin2:

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,711 Posts
I raised 3 daughters (now adults). Once the VCR stopped working, I took the case off and found about 1/3 piece of buttered toast.

I have read that very old houses often have old coins in the locksets - you know, the old 'skeleton key' type.

Kids can't help doing stuff like this I guess - mimicing adults using toasters, earbuds, coin-op machines.....

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
920 Posts
Ah, those rugrats. Gotta watch them every second....

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,449 Posts
Did the key even insert fully with the FOD in the way? I suspect it would not, but maybe it did.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
I raised 3 daughters (now adults). Once the VCR stopped working, I took the case off and found about 1/3 piece of buttered toast.

I have read that very old houses often have old coins in the locksets - you know, the old 'skeleton key' type.

Kids can't help doing stuff like this I guess - mimicing adults using toasters, earbuds, coin-op machines.....
This is why we now have the tamper proof electrical receptacles per mandate. Kids have been sticking paper clips in them since they were invented. Wait, do we still have metal paper clips?

·
Registered
2018 Legacy 36R
301 Posts
The key to my Nissan Frontier fit nicely into the key hole of my Honda Accord, but it wouldn't turn. I spent quite a bit of time one morning trying to get the Accord to start using the wrong key. I solved that problem when I traded the Accord for my new Subaru which has keyless access and push-button start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts