Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

Hoping someone can point me to which relay is for the ignition on the inside dash panel next to the drivers side fuse box?

I had a factory service manual saved but the file got corrupted and it no longer works

Thank you!

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
12,644 Posts
What year engine and transmission do you have?

·
Registered
19,253 Posts
The IG2 Relay is located in the main, engine compartment fuse box. This relay supplies power to a range of circuits when the ignition is at On.

The Starter Relay (related only to the starting system) is shown below, next to the cabin fuse box:

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Slope

Cases of these relays failing are very rare. What problem are you dealing with that suggests a relay is the cause?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The IG2 Relay is located in the main, engine compartment fuse box. This relay supplies power to a range of circuits when the ignition is at On.

The Starter Relay (related only to the starting system) is shown below, next to the cabin fuse box:

View attachment 520938

Cases of these relays failing are very rare. What problem are you dealing with that suggests a relay is the cause?
I suppose I'm not sure which relay might be the culprit, but the symptom was a no-start condition after running the engine for ten minutes or longer. It starts up cold just fine, but when warm nothing engages when you turn the key. All other electrical circuits appear to be functional.

I did some research and found someone that had the exact same symptoms, and they had found that apparently the ignition relay was the culprit. They described relay in question as "the one next to the power window relay".

·
Registered
19,253 Posts
IF that was the same Subaru year and model, or a Subaru with the same starter system (they're not all the same), then "the one next to the power window relay" probably would be the Starter Relay (shown in diagram above). Rare, but, of course, not impossible.

Simple enough to replace the Starter Relay. I think all of the relays in that panel are the same, and the Starter Relay could be swapped with another, e.g. the seat heater relay (because it's probably not needed, at least now) to see if that resolves the no-start when warm issue. Or just get one from a dealer; they're not expensive.

It is interesting that the problem appears when the engine is warmed up. The Starter Relay is in the cabin, and doesn't experience temperature change that is found in the engine compartment. A faulty starter solenoid, or a bad starter motor (e.g., with worn brushes), would be more likely.

What other troubleshooting have you done?

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IF that was the same Subaru year and model, or a Subaru with the same starter system (they're not all the same), then "the one next to the power window relay" probably would be the Starter Relay (shown in diagram above). Rare, but, of course, not impossible.

Simple enough to replace the Starter Relay. I think all of the relays in that panel are the same, and the Starter Relay could be swapped with another, e.g. the seat heater relay (because it's probably not needed, at least now) to see if that resolves the no-start when warm issue. Or just get one from a dealer; they're not expensive.

It is interesting that the problem appears when the engine is warmed up. The Starter Relay is in the cabin, and doesn't experience temperature change that is found in the engine compartment. A faulty starter solenoid, or a bad starter motor (e.g., with worn brushes), would be more likely.

What other troubleshooting have you done?
Could very well be the starter solenoid, the starter no longer engages, only clicks a few times. Battery is 12.25v, haven't bypassed the circuit to test, but am going to piggy back the battery to the solenoid to see if it will turn. Was going to replace the starter, and then circle back to the relay issue as I assumed they were separate problems.

I had issues with the circuit a few months back, had a totally rotten connector to the solenoid and corroded male end. Replaced the female connector and cleaned up the solenoid male side. That resolved the issue until now when it stopped responding when warm.

However with the "warm" issue the solenoid didn't click or make any noise, everything was silent. Now, I get clicks and no start from the get go.

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
1,234 Posts
Could very well be the starter solenoid, the starter no longer engages, only clicks a few times. Battery is 12.25v, haven't bypassed the circuit to test, but am going to piggy back the battery to the solenoid to see if it will turn. Was going to replace the starter, and then circle back to the relay issue as I assumed they were separate problems.

I had issues with the circuit a few months back, had a totally rotten connector to the solenoid and corroded male end. Replaced the female connector and cleaned up the solenoid male side. That resolved the issue until now when it stopped responding when warm.

However with the "warm" issue the solenoid didn't click or make any noise, everything was silent. Now, I get clicks and no start from the get go.

Verify the battery cables themselves arnt corroded internally or at the main connections. I had a similar issue and even got random biu codes. Turns out the cables would sometimes allow enough continuity to start, and then some times not. And then nothing would turn on either. Wiggle and bend the cable, started right up.

·
Registered
19,253 Posts
And the battery at 12.2 V is usually an indication it is not fully charged, or is sulphated and might not deliver the current needed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok, swapped with fresh battery and still quick three clicks on turn of key.

Also found it made same three clicks when I turned the key with the starter solenoid disconnected.

Jumped the solenoid straight to the battery and didn't get any response.

Seems like the solenoid needs to be replaced. Will give this a go tomorrow -

·
Registered
19,253 Posts
Also found it made same three clicks when I turned the key with the starter solenoid disconnected.

Jumped the solenoid straight to the battery and didn't get any response.
I think you've narrowed down the problem, but to be sure we understand correctly, which wire was disconnected in the first case, and to what was the battery connected in the second? (There's several connections to the solenoid.)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I ordered a rebuilt starter from maniac electric. 3 day shipping for $11. Hoping it will be here by Saturday for me to install. I was leaning towards a brush issue, but I could also see how it might be the solenoid itself. I may pull mine apart and take a look.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just did the NAPA route, wanted to get it in today but time ran away from me. Here's to tomorrow!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that didn't work, replaced starter with NAPA reman (appeared to be Denso core). Same quick three clicks. Odd that the sound is so repeatable and identical each time you turn the key.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I ordered a rebuilt starter from maniac electric. 3 day shipping for $11. Hoping it will be here by Saturday for me to install. I was leaning towards a brush issue, but I could also see how it might be the solenoid itself. I may pull mine apart and take a look.
Are you still chasing the issue you had in your other thread where you changed the cables?

I've got a new positive clamp, rest of positive side looks good. Negative is clean. Going to swap that starter relay (now that I know where it is) and see if that gets me going.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Are you still chasing the issue you had in your other thread where you changed the cables?

I've got a new positive clamp, rest of positive side looks good. Negative is clean. Going to swap that starter relay (now that I know where it is) and see if that gets me going.

No, the cables fixed it(that issue). Really hoping my starter fixes the issue. If not. I wonder if it's the battery? I've noticed it cranks a bit slower now. Guess i will find out tomorrow when I change mine. I will take a closer look and see if maybe there is some other wiring in the area. Iirc I changed both my starter and ignition relay with new, since I swapped them around last time. I did get a check engine light one time after it finally started. But it went away the next day and left no data.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts