Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
I would point out more clearly, the 2nd head gasket failure was likely due to the first repair being done incorrectly. Maybe you overheated significant and they didn't check the heads for flatness?

·
Registered
2007 Outback Wagon 2.5 Ltd
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Sorry you had a bad exerience. Is there a particular reason you wanted to rant about it?
This is a Subaru forum. Loads of people here talk about how much they love their cars. I don't think there's anything inappropriate about someone relating a bad experience they had with their Subaru. Maybe someone who is considering a Subaru and reads some of the threads here will hear both sides of the story, not just one side.

Anything wrong with that?

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,499 Posts
This is a Subaru forum. Loads of people here talk about how much they love their cars. I don't think there's anything inappropriate about someone relating a bad experience they had with their Subaru. Maybe someone who is considering a Subaru and reads some of the threads here will hear both sides of the story, not just one side.

Anything wrong with that?
I don't reckon there is. Pride and emotion gets in the way of these discussions- on both sides, and that's a drag. I do think it's fair to have the information out there though. The problem is that discussion boards for any topic can sprout troll threads, and they take a lot of the fun out of it. I'm not accusing you of doing that with your post, but not everyone is going to interpret your post the way I have, and that's just the way it is.

It's disappointing to hear that you had such a bad experience with your car. I can certainly understand your desire to vent your frustrations. I've done the same on other boards for other topics. I wish you better luck with the Honda. I test-drove one before I bought my current Subaru. While I decided it wasn't right for me, I'd probably do the same thing if I had the same level of dissatisfaction in my previous car.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,026 Posts
Sorry you had a bad exerience. Is there a particular reason you wanted to rant about it?
...well...this is a subaru forum...it should have the good, the bad, and the ugly about these cars if people want the honest truth. So the poster who started the forum was honest...don't roast him for it. Over 5 years that seems like regular maintenance...minus the HG issue.

I have an 04' TDI with 248k km on it. Replaced the brakes lots of times..both front and back, timing belt twice, heater blower motor, a couple of sensors, body work due to rust, not to mention I had to change the oil a whole lot too(snicker). Sadly, that is the price to paid the longer you own a car. Because of all this would I own another TDI? You bet your sweet bippy I would. Great cars...love 'em.

This is my third subaru too. I had problems with the others too blah blah blah...will probably own another too...

·
Registered
2010 OB 3.6R limited
3,284 Posts
Folks, this may be my last post in this Forum. Today, I traded in my 2007 Outback Wagon (2.5i Limited) for a 2013 Honda CRV EX-L. My ownership experience of the OB had been horrendous. Here's a summary:

• First Two Years - fine
  • 35,422 miles - Head gaskets replaced. Just under the wire of warranty expiration. Replaced front brakes and rotors. Rear cup holder broken and replaced.
  • 71,180 miles - Replaced head gaskets AGAIN. Replaced timing belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioner. Replaced air bag light assembly.

And those are just the major items. I left a lot of things out. Bottom line, the car has cost me thousands and thousands of dollars in repairs. I could have owned a BMW X5 for the last 6 years for far less total cost of ownership than what this OB cost me.

It is reading/finding (here and other subaru forums)complaints abt the 2.5 Chronic HG issues on the (supposedly fixed) gen3 2.5 OB that "scare away" from the 2.5 and make me start looking at the 3.6R.

Btw, if you have bought an X5 you probably end up losing more money from depreciations. That car(x5) is in the top ten list of most depreciated cars published recently. Plus it is ugly compare to the sleek older gen OB!

·
Registered
'07 OBXT Ltd. 5EAT, Charcoal Gray; '70 Chevy K10 4X4, 396c.i., lifted; '63 Pontiac Tempest, 326c.i.
115 Posts
I have a BMW (the Subaru is my wife's car). I just had an alignment done at the dealer and it cost $99.
Then I'm guessing you don't live in Seattle or drive an M5...

By the way, you shouldn't have to defend yourself with posting a bad experience. You're absolutely right, people should hear both sides of the story before making an educated decision on buying a Subaru. And you're right, those were common issues with these cars. But for every time one of these problems cropped up, there are many more times the amount of Subarus that perform flawlessly. I think we all (in this forum) get a little butt-hurt when someone rags on our ride. Think about it, we are all a bunch of dudes (mostly) that drive lesbian cars (most definitely) and then come home and blog about it. Of course we're going to jump on you, dude. We (collectively) apologize.

I've been on downright inaccessible roads - roads that my lifted '70 Chevy couldn't pass. My Subarus have been to **** and back and have cost me nothing in repairs. However, in PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE, that's another issue. Yes, you will pay more for PM in a Subie than you will almost any Chevy, Ford, Honda, Toyota...But it's about on par with Caddy's, Lexus, BMW, etc. Having said all that, we're sorry to hear you had a bad experience. I suspect foul play in that car's history, whether it was the mechanic, or the people you bought it from. True, it could just be a lemon. Nonetheless, you got shafted. Hopefully you have a better experience with Honda. Do your research, buddy!

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,307 Posts
It is a definite sign of the times that checkbook-mechanic rants are becoming a regular occurrence on Subaru forums. It means that the brand is now truly mainstream, quite different from an image it once used to have. In making this happen, the Outback nameplate has had a singularly important role (for better or for worse).

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5 CVT
128 Posts
I waited till 2013 before buying my first Subaru. It is an OB. I did that based on the good/negative comments of past posts. I am hoping I get decent life out of the car. I know many people, including family members that swear by them. My Benz is what I traded in just because of cost of repair. So far my two best cars were a Toyota and a Honda. I have said I would never buy another Mitsubishiand I haven't. It really wasn't so much because it broke but because of the warrenty service I got. Every item I had to get done was like pulling teeth and I had to fight through blatent lieing. So far it seems, with a few exceptions, that the Subaru company is fairly easy to work with. Hope it continues that way.

·
Registered
2007 Outback Wagon 2.5 Ltd
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Then I'm guessing you don't live in Seattle or drive an M5...
It's not that. If you have the Active Steering option on the BMW (a very sophisticated and complex system that through a planetary gear set and electric motors continually adjusts the steering angle of the wheels depending upon speed and conditions), the alignments take several hours and can cost $300 - $500 (not $1,000, as someone here posted).

The vast majority of BMW's do not have Active Steering and for those, standard alignments cost around $100. If it's more than that, you can also find a coupon from another dealer, and most dealers will match that.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Use/Abuse: [/B]Was I hard on the car? It was my wife's car. She drives so slow and slow carefully it sometimes gets on my nerves. The car was never driven off road. But some of you may feel that my wife was VERY hard on those head gaskets causing me to replace them every 35k.

The List: As I said, that was only a partial list. Yes, I know that brake jobs are normal maintenance, but I still think the pads/rotors should have lasted longer given the mostly highway miles. And the cup holder and gas filler door were not major items, but evidenced a lack of quality control. Some people said there was nothing on that list that was unusual except the head gaskets. Really? The entire climate control audio console had to be replaced (well over $1,000). It started having problems at 50k and gradually got worse. Never had a problem like that with any car I ever owned in my life. And both rear wheel bearings started going at 80k and finally had to be replaced recently. Never had a problem like that with any car I ever owned in my life, including the GM crap of the 70's. And front struts should be shot at 100k?? Maybe if you drive off road. Most (80%) of the miles on this car were highway miles. I've owned many cars past 100k and never had to replace struts this early.
You mention your wife drove the car. Driving "hard" doesn't just mean racing from light to light or hopping sand dunes on the beach. You mention the couple of brake jobs, for instance. That could be caused by her resting her foot on the brake pedal. Lord knows we've all seen that on the road! Front struts going to 100k sounds good to me. I'll be doing the suspension on my 300 when it hits 60k probably some time next year. The HVAC and audio shouldn't have gone bad obviously, but it's not an uncommon part to fail... on any car. Chryslers have occasional HVAC problems as do Chevys and Fords and Toyotas and *insert car manufacturer here.* The biggest failure I see is that you went to the dealer. You could've picked up those parts on ebay for a fraction of the cost. If you're uncomfortable installing them, you could've taken them to any mechanic and he could've done it in under an hour and you'd have come out WAY ahead.

It's a shame you had a bad experience. I'm barely 2000 miles into my first Subaru and am hoping for a trouble free ownership experience. Of course, if karma has its way, I could get a lemon of a Subaru as a tradeoff for owning a trouble free Chrysler for the past 5 years!

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
Post away, that is why I came to this board and lurked for several months before buying my first outback, I wanted to read the good, the bad, pros and cons.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
5,026 Posts
There really is no accounting for taste.
...I know...a kia soul?...Taste must be in the bottom of the feet...lol...:jump:

·
Registered
'15 STi and '13 GTI
1,009 Posts
Use/Abuse: [/B]Was I hard on the car? It was my wife's car. She drives so slow and slow carefully it sometimes gets on my nerves. The car was never driven off road. But some of you may feel that my wife was VERY hard on those head gaskets causing me to replace them every 35k.

The List: As I said, that was only a partial list. Yes, I know that brake jobs are normal maintenance, but I still think the pads/rotors should have lasted longer given the mostly highway miles.
Chances are your wife rides the brakes.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback: 2.5i Limited with Eyesight
50 Posts
Bob,
Thanks for posting about your experience with your Subaru. I certainly hope to not have the HG or console issues that gave you trouble. Was the HG issue not covered under the Subaru powertrain warranty (which is longer than the bumper to bumper warranty)?
Best of luck with your Honda!
Paul

21 - 40 of 340 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.