Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I grabbed a $14 rear bumper reflector to see if it can easily be illuminated. If you want to look at one they pop out easily. Also there is a direct path for wiring from the rear lights to the reflector.
Drilled out the spot which looks like it is meant to hold a bulb in other markets.

31/64th drill bit did the trick for these 194 LED bulb sockets.

DZS Elec 12pcs T10 W5W 194 LED Bulbs Sockets Plug-in Type Pre-Wired Harness Connector Adapter for Auto Car - - Amazon.com
They fit snugly but I would suggest using something like this to secure it even better. I have a roll and use it often.
Amazon.com: X AUTOHAUX 12 Ft Butyl Sealant Tape Sound Deadening Rope Tape for Car RV Windshield Headlight Door: Home Improvement

I’m not sure what the next move will be. I’d love to figure out a way to light them up as a brake, running or rear fog light without modifying the stock wiring.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,238 Posts
Search the site. I think someone has previously made rear fog lamps from these reflectors.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did search and came up with nothing. There is a guy selling them for $89.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
gen4 forum... a little different than this mod (they used LED strips and cut the reflector differently). I like the single bulb idea here.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only searched Gen 5. 😆

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Maybe use a positap into one of the oem wires (brake, running, whatever as a trigger), and then use a relay to pull main power from wherever. That wouldn't be too invasive for the oem wiring. Might be overkill if you could just tap into a brake light or running light. I don't think that little light you have there pulls much power.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 2.5L, Auto; 2018 Forester, 2.5L, Auto (for Mama); 2005 Baja, 2.5 Turbo, Manual
644 Posts
Good idea. Certainly much easier than lighting up the dead half of the "taillight" lens in the tailgate.

·
Registered
'18 Outback Touring 3.6R, '11 Legacy 3.6R Limited. '11 WRX not stock
399 Posts
Really interested to see how well that LED bulb illuminates the lens 🤞 when it's on the car.

·
Registered
935 Posts
No need to cut wiring...use T-taps and there’s no need to isolate the additional bulbs with the low draw from the LEDs....add a soldered splice to the new socket assemblies to extend the wiring to tap into the brake light Wires... it’s a great idea

·
Registered
2019 Outback Premium 2.5
44 Posts
For those looking to add lighting...use caution ordering from a supplier called subispeed. I had nothing but trouble with their rear bumper light kit for my Forester and then had TERRIBLE trouble dealing with zero customer service. By the time 12 months had passed, all of the LEDs in my rear bumper lights had failed, the first failure was just 7 days after install.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Years ago they had a good reputation. C'est la vie. I'm waiting on Diode Dynamics usual 4th of July sale to order LED's for this project. I thinking about going dual LED's. One lower light for running and a brighter one for brake/turn. Most parts are on order.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R Wilderness Green
314 Posts

·
Registered
16 Impreza 5 dr Sport. 19 Outback LTD..waiting
8 Posts
… i cannot find the link or post from NASIOC forums regarding how to wire it in with a switch, it is pretty straight forward though. tapping (t taps) it in with one of the cars park lights + fuse + switch which are all connected to the fuse box, i did this to my son's 16 Impreza, since here in MB although not mandatory... when it fogs up, it really gets bad
if you wire it in properly, it will work in tandem when your park lights / headlights are on - switch though would be recommended so that you can turn it off when not needed
i did order oem rear fogs from subispeed and a fog light switch from a donor subie

1 - 16 of 16 Posts