Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm an ASE Master Tech and a Master Subaru Tech with a small shop at home here in the Brainerd Lakes area of MN. I'm looking for some side work here at my house. I used to do this under the Name Manic Mechanic in the cities. If I can help anyone out, let me know. I would be cheaper than going to the dealer. Thanks for the time to read this.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made this account years ago. I currently own a 2006 Outback and am looking for a WRX. I sold my old WRX and think it's time for another. My 2006 has over 200K on it and still running strong. What do you drive?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,075 Posts
I made this account years ago. I currently own a 2006 Outback and am looking for a WRX. I sold my old WRX and think it's time for another. My 2006 has over 200K on it and still running strong. What do you drive?
you can see what I got at the left under my name

and you can fix what you got by clicking this:

year -model -engine -trans, scroll down to "your car": https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...do=editprofile

·
Registered
2001 OBW VDC, 2004 WRX, 1999 LEGACY L (in a heap)
1,299 Posts
I'm not local, but I'll ask a question to get your thread going. I've got an 04 WRX i bought when new coming up on 1/4 million miles stock turbo with a stage 2 OTS setup running since 30k miles. I've kept up with the maintenance schedule, generally tightly.

some symptoms are arising; there is oil and coolant consumption at a slow pace.

I love the car. I want another 1/4 million. What would you do with that in mind?

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi and thank you, I normally wouldn't be concerned with a small amount of oil consumption at this mileage. Rings and valve guides would obviously have wear. The coolant consumption is an issue, though. My first go to would be the head-gaskets. This is a year that had some issues with the head-gaskets. I'm assuming they have been done sometime in the past already?? How long has it been? There is some testing that can be done to be sure but this is where I would start looking. Good luck!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Replace all timing components and water pump with Subaru.

Diagnose the coolant consumption.

Oil loss - rings. Read everything the owner of Superior Subaru says regarding that engine, oil, and more. He knows all the failure modes and causes, you’re unlikely to find better data and experience driven advice. Run Amsoil oil on those turbo engines. He says what weight I forget, maybe LT will recall. If I tried to own a turbo Subaru engine as a daily driver I’d reread everything he says and follow it to a Tee.

For oil consumption You could rering the block, particularly if you end up doing headgaskets then it’s nkt much more work. Don’t have to split the block and definitely don’t do anything at all but swap rings, no splitting the case or honing. Need a good shop who’s knows what they’re doing and to not do those things.

·
Registered
2005 Outback XT Limited 5-speed Manual Transmission
4 Posts
Hi Guys, I'm an ASE Master Tech and a Master Subaru Tech with a small shop at home here in the Brainerd Lakes area of MN. I'm looking for some side work here at my house. I used to do this under the Name Manic Mechanic in the cities. If I can help anyone out, let me know. I would be cheaper than going to the dealer. Thanks for the time to read this.
Hello, I just messaged you. I'm looking for help with my 2005 Subaru Outback XT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If your willing could you give me a call? I have a problem with a 2014 Subaru Legacy and would really like to explain it over the phone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts