Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I am so excited about getting a new Outback but thought I would check here before I visit the lot today.

Any advise?

I am confused about all of the different models. I live in the mountains of SW Virginia and only have 36,000 on my current car. I am a SAHM who obviously doesn't get out too much! I am looking at the 4 cylinder to get the better gas mileage.

So, based on that, which models should I look at?

Any thoughts or recommendations would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Aside from the question of which model year, the main question boils down to the four models: full-size wagon, sport (Impreza-based) wagon, sedan, or the Baja open-bed version.

What are your needs?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am definitely looking at a Wagon! I am confused about which ones are 4 cylinder. I really really like the Limited Outback Wagon! Is that a good one?

Are the 2004's good? I really want a brand new one!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
I can't speak for 04 as I have a 98, but I agree the wagon is the way to go, especially if you expect to haul kid-related stuff.

Wait until you drive one of these things on a snowy, muddy, or gravel road, you're going to get one heck of a grin on your face...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much! "Lizard"! Considering I've been driving a 95 Ford Contour around for 9 years I suppose anything will seem an improvement! My main reason for getting the Outback were some "close calls" on these Mountain Roads by tailgaters in HUGE SUV's! I swore if they hit me and killed one of my kids, I'd been imprisoned for what I'd do! lol! Anyway, it really scared me so I started looking at the safety of my current car! POOR POOR POOR! We wouldn't stand a chance really! I am so very impressed by the safety features and have no interest in buying a gas guzzling hog that I think the Outback is a perfect match for me!

I also peddle my photographs to support my photography hobby so the cargo space will be a plus for some of the events I participate in throughout the year! :)

Can you tell I'm just a tad excited!

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Kathleen, welcome to the site, and soon to the Subaru club. Any Subaru would be stellar getting out of a Contour. Most of the Subaru's have the 2.5 liter four cylinder engine. Unless you get the turbo WRX or the upper model Outbacks which get the 3.0 liter six.
You want a wagon? Good. Subaru makes great big ones and little ones (like mine) A very confident vehicle to drive in harsh conditions. Good luck. Brian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One hour and 15 minutes before I go Sub Shopping! I'm bringing my camera! :) I do hope they have one in stock that foots the bill for me! I'd hate to wait on a special order and continue driving in my "tuna can" one more month! But, I suppose I need to find some patience to counter my enthusiasm! :)

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
Kathleen = The perfect woman.

If only MY girlfriend was this excited about Subaru's. She looks at me like I am crazy when I'm driving down the highway and I pull up behind another Outback and shout "OOOOOOH! SUBARU PARADE!!!"...the sad part is I'm not making that up! :D

Welcome to the board, I promise you will be happy with whatever model you choose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha! Far from perfect!

Anyway, one thing I am really wondering are about these moonroofs? I mean, I do not really want one. We don't even have a garage! If I forgot to close it ... well .... also I am worried it will start leaking eventually. Any long term experience out there regarding these?

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
I've never read about any problems with the moonroofs on any of the newer model Outbacks. I wouldn't let that worry you.

The moonroof on my old '94 Legacy Wagon did a good deal of leaking though, I think it was probably due to the age of the car and maybe some type of deterioration of the rubber that lined the outside of the moonroof.
When it would rain overnight, a small amount of water would work its way into the moonroof assembly, and then in the morning when I would go out and start driving, as soon as I turned left or right, the water would dribble out of the roof onto my lap. It was never enough to really harm anything, just enough to make it look like I have a bladder problem!

But, as I said, that was an old car, and I doubt a company like Subaru would mess up a feature as important as that on their new cars.

·
Registered
18 horizontally opposed cylinders of fury
355 Posts
Its normal for water to work in past the seal on a moonroof. If that water spills out on you when going around a turn, though, it may be a clogged drain tube. The moonroof on my previous car had a drain tube at each corner of the assembly between the headliner & roof. They ran down each pillar & exited inside the wheel wells. Dirt & debris can clog a tube over the years.

As a test, you should be able to dribble a hose into the galleys of your open roof & see water exiting somewhere (probably 4 somewheres). If you think one is clogged, you may have to improvise with something like a really long pipe cleaner but not sharp/pointy so that you won't poke through the rubber tube :)

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Hei Kathleen! Glad to have another Subaru owner! I love my '02 OB and my '96 OB! You will notice the awd with the first wet road you drive on. My wife, kids and dogs love our OB, the kids changed the game, "punch buggies" to include "kick outback," I am so proud!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Jeez, FM, you ought to be more careful with that snow shovel!

·
Super Moderator
6,009 Posts
Hahaha!

That's the result of the T-Bone from that 85 year old lady (the accident I always seem to bring up in other threads).

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Kathleen congratulations on joiing the Outback club, I've had mine nearly 3 weeks now and am just loving it.

Nice color too :D

Karl

Kathleen said:
I got the base model - no moon roof - all weather package. Quite sensible eh?

Thanks you guys for you help! I pick it up tomorrow! :)

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,684 Posts
Nice color too
Green cars are the best cars. They can hide under trees.

Hey Kathleen, congrats, and I'm glad you took a pic of it while it's still clean

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
Yes indeed, Green is the best colour ! :D Congrats on your purchase.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
350 Posts
Is that seamist green? Seamist is my favorite current Outback color. Looks good and welcome the the board.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts