Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I...just...can't...keep...my...foot...off...the...accelerator!

This this is so fun to drive hard! With a manual transmission this thing just wants to rev.

Reminds me of my earlier Miatas. They were such a joy to drive, but now I've got a little more room in the cabin.

·
Registered
'08 Outback XT: Spec. B 6-speed, stage 2, 17 psi. '07 Legacy GT wagon: 5mt, VF52, 19 psi.
105 Posts
Most of us are getting terrible gas mileage vs. similar vehicles from other manufacturers. It's just not really one of the EJ's strengths. My wife's Audi gets better mileage than the XT despite 500 lbs. of extra weight and I'd guess around 30 more HP. Even my 450 RWHP supercharged '05 Mustang isn't much harder on fuel.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Agreed. I'm getting about 22MPG on the highway, with some city mixed in there. But running premium fuel @ 22 MPG is costly. So, from a consumer perspective, this vehicle isn't the greatest value as a commuter car. That is unfortunate. I love driving it but fuel running costs may dictate otherwise.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,806 Posts
The H6 is no better

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I never thought I would say this, but we may be in the market for a Prius next year. Hard to argue with 60 MPG and they look so much better than they ever have. My father in law bought a 2012 Prius new, put 200,000 miles on it and routinely got 50MPG. He traded it in on a Hybrid Corolla earlier this year and they are getting 60MPG. I like fun cars, but at some point you've got to start thinking about the recurring fuel cost.

·
Registered
'08 Outback XT: Spec. B 6-speed, stage 2, 17 psi. '07 Legacy GT wagon: 5mt, VF52, 19 psi.
105 Posts
The cost of fuel and maintenance on my XT vs. depreciation on some newer 50 MPG snoozemobile still puts the Subaru ahead by a wide margin.
We've been living in a small town and driving into the city for work for 16 years. I don't mind the highway portion of the commute but fuel costs have doubled in that time and the relentless sprawl of the suburbs sucks more joy from the drive every year. Our youngest kid will graduate high school in 2026 at which point we're moving close to the city center where we can bike or walk to work or just about anything else we might need.

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
18,807 Posts
I feel ya. All my current regular drive cars are boosted. Best is the 11 WRX with 21 mpg and it regularly sees 100+ on the tollway. The 06 BAJA gets mediocre at 18 mph, but it's lifted and has 32" tires. The 01 VDC runs on E85, so fuel volume is high, but it'll avg 26 on long highway drives, like if I take it from Austin to San Antonio and think to track it. Otherwise, 15 mpg.

All are too fun to drive and have their own uniqueness to be rid of them.

Currently modifying an 05 BAJA that a friend owns and I don't expect over 20 mpg after I tune it. He has a lead foot. I will expect at least 300 AWHP, maybe a bit more. It's an automatic.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts